• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations on a New Scanner for Original Art
4 4

43 posts in this topic

Unless you are scanning them to create a super hi resolution copy to display, or for an artist's edition, there's no point in buying a standalone scanner when you can use the increasingly sophisticated mobile phone apps. And if you are doing the former with a handful of pieces (for display purposes) you can just take them to our local Kinkos or print shop and get it done. The only reason to have a scanner is for when you have a multipage document that you need to scan into digital format and want to use the automatic document feeder. I have a cheap, at home printer for that purpose, but it's too small for OA scans (except for a couple of my smaller pieces).

Just my opinion. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 3/27/2024 at 8:39 AM, alxjhnsn said:

Amazon has the Epson Workforce Pro WF-7820 on sale for $180. That’s a good deal.

That is a good price. Epson expects to make its money on expensive ink refills, but if you use the device mainly for scanning, that doesn't cost a dime extra. It says the printer goes up to 13x19. Is the scanner that large as well?

On 3/27/2024 at 1:14 PM, RBerman said:

That is a good price. Epson expects to make its money on expensive ink refills, but if you use the device mainly for scanning, that doesn't cost a dime extra. It says the printer goes up to 13x19. Is the scanner that large as well?

It maxes out at 11x17 on the flatbed. That's a great deal - it's the model I have and I paid $120 more (and am OK with that). The thing is a tank.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:26 PM, aaronnear said:

It maxes out at 11x17 on the flatbed. That's a great deal - it's the model I have and I paid $120 more (and am OK with that). The thing is a tank.

So it won't fit anything better than 11x17 for scanning? What about DC boards that are usually a bit bigger than 11x17, closing in on 12x18?

On 3/27/2024 at 10:31 PM, JC25427N said:

So it won't fit anything better than 11x17 for scanning? What about DC boards that are usually a bit bigger than 11x17, closing in on 12x18?

You'd have to do two scans, unfortunately. It's exactly 11x17. A lot of my Marvel boards are 11x17 1/8 and they just clip over the edge of the scanning bed. Not a big deal in most cases for me as there isn't a lot of bleed outside of the general frame on the board for much of what I buy, but I could absolutely see that as being a bit frustrating if you have such bigger boards. It looks like larger dedicated scanners are 10x this device in the best circumstances from what I can see online. I know some multifunction devices go for that price as well and have larger scan beds (e.g. at work we have some copiers with what I recall being 18x24 beds), but I think they start at around $2,500.

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 that I bought specifically for scanning 11x17 art and reproducing it. The all-in-one works pretty well, quality is excellent when printing to heavier stock and it can print on acetate (for overlays). I did have to get VueScan to have a little more control over my scanning settings (which I prefer). Can't remember the cost, but it was very reasonable.

I discovered my old Mustek A3 scanner was no longer working (I miss it).  In December 2023, I got the Epson WF 7840 which was mentioned by @Lago32 in another scanner topic.  It was on sale at Staples for $ 199.  Considering a standalone scanner actually costs more, it seemed like a good deal.  I was in a scanning mood at the time but haven't scanned so much since.  It produces nice scans at 11.69 x 16.54 .  It also prints on 13 x 19 paper but haven't tried doing that.

I avoided getting an HP because of reports that the scanning function may not work due to a lack of ink.  By design.

Edited by Will_K

I haven't printed 13x19, but I have printed 11x17 on my Epson WF-7710. I did that to make the template for a Walt Simonson sketch at Baltimore. Took a couple of passes, but I had fun.

image.thumb.jpeg.e605af59eb19ae16cf65d4f48d846fc6.jpeg

On 3/27/2024 at 9:40 AM, Xatari said:

Excellent scanner and incredible price.  If anyone is in the market, pick this one up. 

Make note folks; Fine for art but worthless for comic and card slabs.

Edited by MAR1979

Although I have an HP multipurpose Officejet that does 11x17 scans (and I am very happy with it), I actually really have been impressed with the Microsoft Lens app, which is free (not sure if free with 365 or just free).  This is super helpful with the larger pieces.

On 3/29/2024 at 2:58 PM, MAR1979 said:

Make note folks; Fine for art but worthless for comic and card slabs.

Can you recommend a scanner that’s used solely for scanning comic slabs?

On 4/8/2024 at 6:49 AM, JBrady said:

Can you recommend a scanner that’s used solely for scanning comic slabs?

Plustek OpticPro A320E

I use for Comic, Magazine, Trading Card, slabs as well as non large Original Art.  

Most Important thing is to look for is CCD Optical tech and AVOID CIS 

I know I disclaimed using a scanner vs a phone, but has anyone tried one of those overhead book scanners rather than the combo scanner/printer? They seem to be cheaper and can be brought to conventions because they can be packed up. 

On 4/10/2024 at 3:16 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I know I disclaimed using a scanner vs a phone, but has anyone tried one of those overhead book scanners rather than the combo scanner/printer? They seem to be cheaper and can be brought to conventions because they can be packed up. 

I have the CZUR and the quality suuuuuuuuucks. I got it for just documents and newspaper clippings and it's barely passable for that. 

On 4/10/2024 at 4:16 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

They seem to be cheaper and can be brought to conventions because they can be packed up. 

I'm not sure of the exact brand/model but I saw Jason from EssentialSequential at a show scanning sketch covers (not slabbed) with one of those handheld scanners that you roll over the item.  Definitely portable.  Maybe you can ask him. 

On 4/10/2024 at 5:39 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I have the CZUR and the quality suuuuuuuuucks. I got it for just documents and newspaper clippings and it's barely passable for that. 

Thank you. That's helpful. As I am perusing these things, it occurred to me that the portable overhead scanners are basically just phone scanners with more setup. I found a cheap iPhone scanner system which is basically just a cardboard scaffolding on which you can place your phone, with some lighting. Seems like such a thing could be jury-rigged at home. 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:15 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Thank you. That's helpful. As I am perusing these things, it occurred to me that the portable overhead scanners are basically just phone scanners with more setup. I found a cheap iPhone scanner system which is basically just a cardboard scaffolding on which you can place your phone, with some lighting. Seems like such a thing could be jury-rigged at home. 

I think if you are going to rely on the phone as a camera (and nowadays most smart phones are quite good) you can forego any manual rigging and download a scanning app that will crop, rotate and fix the inevitable distortion inherent in trying to hold a camera to shoot a flat 2D object. This is the only “feature” the CZUR did do well and that’s all post imaging so any software can do it.