• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a purple label really the end of the world?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2022 at 7:05 PM, Conali said:

Honestly I think the hobby would be a much more positive place if everything was blue and the defects (both intentional and unintentional) were taken into consideration in the same way.  Too much has been made of some villain in his basement applying color touch versus a kid playing with his marker trying to make his beloved comic look nicer.  They’re both the same thing when it comes to its effect on a book.  Just make it blue, hammer it for its flaws, and let the color discrimination die.  

Too late for this I know, but I find the color coding and the vitriol and hate that it brings with it to be the biggest turnoff of this hobby for me.

Hey if nothing else it would benefit the books themselves. Maybe folks would restore that gold or silver age grail instead of allowing it to rot with rusty staples and mold just to avoid that purple label.  :preach:

On 11/26/2022 at 7:05 PM, Conali said:

Too late for this I know, but I find the color coding and the vitriol and hate that it brings with it to be the biggest turnoff of this hobby for me.

If you don’t mind restored books, this “vitriol and hate” creates a perfect buying opportunity.   This also applies to Qualified greens.  The huge discount for missing the MVS is becoming hard to ignore.  

On 11/27/2022 at 4:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you don’t mind restored books, this “vitriol and hate” creates a perfect buying opportunity.   This also applies to Qualified greens.  The huge discount for missing the MVS is becoming hard to ignore.  

But that’s really the problem.  I know that if I buy a PLOD or a GLOD I’m severely restricting my ability (well, my children’s ability, I’m not selling anything!!) simply because of the color of the label.  A lot of potential buyers and sellers are handcuffed by the color blue, and it’s a real shame.

I would absolutely (and have done so) buy a blue label with “marker on the cover”, or paint on the spine, glue, pieces missing, etc. But I can’t buy a green or purple because most think Blue = good, everything else = bad.

Mention the words “Color Touch” and it’s radioactive to such a large portion of the community that would otherwise be interested in the book at lower grade and blue label.

Why not just downgrade the book for the “restoration damage” and be done with it. 

You’d get a lot of really nice lower grade books to boot! 

Edited by Conali
Added that I have bought blues with defects.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:28 PM, rexinnih said:

Not desirable for me. I've had a few come back and two, IH 181 with color touch and GS X-Men 1 with something added to spine. Sent in for restoration removal, press and clean and both came back same grade Blue. 

How'd they remove the color touch?

On 11/28/2022 at 8:06 PM, mephistopheles said:

How'd they remove the color touch?

They literally scrape it off. You can only imagine the damage that does. 

Also, restored books just aren't for me. It would have to be a very rare and exceptional GA at a great price for me to think about it. 

I'm not opposed to cleaned staples, however. Never was clear how sometimes it would get a purple label and sometimes it would get a conserved label. 

Edited by newshane

PL is a great way to get a coveted book at a discount. I don't mind most restoration as long as it isn't poorly done. Brittle pages are a no no. Same with qualified books. I have a book that would have cost ten grand but with the Green Label I got it for a thousand. Just a few holes out of some pages that don't affect the stories.

color touch mostly minor can be sent to CGC's team that removes the offending item I had a FF 48 sent in came back restored the touch was on the bottom of the staple where a brown coat was sent in they did their magic and this is what happened

Fantastic Four 48 CGC 6.5.jpg

color touch mostly minor can be sent to CGC's team that removes the offending item I had a FF 48 sent in came back restored the touch was on the bottom of the staple where a brown coat was sent in they did their magic and this is what happened