• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frustrated with CGC shipping....

40 posts in this topic

Been a while since I've subbed a book. I wasn't too happy to find that USPS Registered Mail was no longer an option. Neither was UPS. I was forced to use FedEx Ground. 

Of course the book is due to be delivered on a day when I won't be home. Signature required. The worst part is that I cannot manage the delivery online. I get the following message: Due to shipper restrictions, additional delivery options are not available for this shipment. For more information please contact the shipper.

Back in the day, I could have the package rerouted to a different location, or I could sign electronically. Why would CGC do away with these conveniences? 

Will the FedEx leave some sort of card for me to sign or a number to call? 

This is absolutely ridiculous. Am I missing something? CGC is closed for the holiday, so I have no idea what to expect next week. 

Yeah, since I have a job I'm not able to sit at home waiting on a package.  Under most circumstances I would reroute the box to a FedEx Office store if I wasn't going to be home on the projected day.  By disallowing that option, CGC has significantly lowered my satisfaction.  A few weeks ago I was really worried about how long it would take me to actually get some Sig Series books submitted from San Diego CC, but luckily FedEx is such a $#!+show they just left my "signature required" package on my porch anyway.

Just call CGC. I had the problem and they took care of it easy. All I had to do was send an email where I wanted it redirected to. Yeah it's annoying, but it is fixable.

Also it's FedEx ground. They completely ignore the signature requirement and just forge it.

Edited by Tnexus

I purchased a PO box just so I can still use USPS. Made the decision after FedEx forged my signature and dropped my AC22 at the wrong address. How did I find my package? By literally driving around my neighborhood. I 100% looked like a package thief, jumping out my car, grabbing it and driving off. Never again.

After my first submission trying to find a way to get home to sign for it and cant just couldn't reroute like a normal thing everyone else does, I found that for any further submissions I can just use the address of my local fedex store near my work and have everything sent there for pickup. 

If you have a FedEx drop off near you, set that as the return address.  I have all my CGC deliveries sent to my local Walgreens.  They hold it and then I sign for it.  Only a problem when CGC ignores that and sends directly to my house and I am at work.  The books make an extra trip back to FL and back to me on their dime. 

Haven't used it myself and to add on to @toro's note, I think if you set up an account with FedEx, you can have your packages forwarded to a nearby FedEx location (e.g., a local Walgreens or Kinkos/FedEx), so allegedly, despite where CGC sends it to, your package would go to the designated FedEx location.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:13 AM, 850chris said:

Haven't used it myself and to add on to @toro's note, I think if you set up an account with FedEx, you can have your packages forwarded to a nearby FedEx location (e.g., a local Walgreens or Kinkos/FedEx), so allegedly, despite where CGC sends it to, your package would go to the designated FedEx location.

I set up a FedEx account for this purpose, but still wasn't able to make any changes to the delivery instructions.

I just put in the form,

Name

C/O Walgreens

(Walgreens -address)

City, State, Zip. 

If they send it to my house, it takes a return trip to Florida and they send it back to Walgreens the next time.

I have a FedEx account, but I don't bother to use it any more for this as it is cheaper using the $25 FedEx ground. 

On 11/25/2022 at 8:17 AM, newshane said:

Been a while since I've subbed a book. I wasn't too happy to find that USPS Registered Mail was no longer an option. Neither was UPS. I was forced to use FedEx Ground. 

Of course the book is due to be delivered on a day when I won't be home. Signature required. The worst part is that I cannot manage the delivery online. I get the following message: Due to shipper restrictions, additional delivery options are not available for this shipment. For more information please contact the shipper.

Back in the day, I could have the package rerouted to a different location, or I could sign electronically. Why would CGC do away with these conveniences? 

This is absolutely ridiculous. Am I missing something? CGC is closed for the holiday, so I have no idea what to expect next week. 

Opposite for me.  I hate with with a capital "H" registered mail!

Mailed thousands of packages for my comic business over the years, only problem I ever had was with registered mail.  3 separate times with RM shipped by CGC with expensive comics......

1 was lost

1 was stolen at the USPS facility by a USPS worker

1 was almost lost but found later because my local PO at the time neglected to put the box in their actual safe and it was laying on the ground for a full week before they found it.

Also there tracking is very bad.

I would feel safer if you sent me an Action Comics #1 media mail!

For me this was one of the greatest things CGC has done since the company opened it's doors.  My shipping cost is way lower and its now fully insured.  I never had a problem with UPS or Fedex for the most part not obtaining a signature, and if you do just report the driver. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Just called CGC. 

Sure enough, the FedEx didn't follow my instructions to deliver at the backdoor. So, they missed the note I left for them. 

Just called CGC and guess what? They no longer re-route packages. They told me I would have to wait until it is returned to CGC in FLA. Then, I will have to fill out an electronic form to request delivery to another address. 

They won't even re-route it to a FedEx drop off/pick up point. 

:frustrated:

CGC can BITE me. Frustrating. Ridiculous. All the words...

There is no good shipping service. In my experience FEDEX is the WORST of the WORST!  USPS is best of the weak lot and UPS is usually pretty bad.

In 20 years at my current address - yes I've kept careful count:

- 1 lost USPS package, 1 damaged (due to shippers cheapness)
- 17 lost Fedex package, 12 damaged
- 4 lost UPS packages, 15 damaged
- DHL when they used to do home in my area 0 lost , 0 damaged

Thing about USPS is you can go down to your Local Post Office talk with the postmaster and get things done. UPS and FEDEX and if you are really lucky they toss a few platitudes at you.

Blackstone HOWEVER has invested Fi$cal stake in FEDEX. Nothing more important to Blackstone than padding their Executive Bonus`

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/28/2022 at 10:56 AM, newshane said:

Just called CGC. 

Sure enough, the FedEx didn't follow my instructions to deliver at the backdoor. So, they missed the note I left for them. 

Just called CGC and guess what? They no longer re-route packages. They told me I would have to wait until it is returned to CGC in FLA. Then, I will have to fill out an electronic form to request delivery to another address. 

They won't even re-route it to a FedEx drop off/pick up point. 

:frustrated:

CGC can BITE me. Frustrating. Ridiculous. All the words...

What's the value of the book(s)?

On 11/28/2022 at 2:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

There is no good shipping service. In my experience FEDEX is the WORST of the WORST!  USPS is best of the weak lot and UPS is usually pretty bad.

In 20 years at my current address - yes I've kept careful count:

- 1 lost USPS package, 1 damaged (due to shippers cheapness)
- 17 lost Fedex package, 12 damaged
- 4 lost UPS packages, 15 damaged
- DHL when they used to do home in my area 0 lost , 0 damaged

Thing about USPS is you can go down to your Local Post Office talk with the postmaster and get things done. UPS and FEDEX and if you are really lucky they toss a few platitudes at you.

Blackrock HOWEVER has invested Fi$cal stake in FEDEX. Nothing more important to Blackrock than padding their Executive Bonus`

Stone

On 11/25/2022 at 8:17 AM, newshane said:

Yes, Fedex will leave you a note just like UPS.  They will attempt to deliver it the next business day.  So unless you are not home 3 days in a row you should be able wait for the package and have it delivered.

I get what you saying that if it was USPS you can pick up the package on your time for a longer holding time, but RM is too expensive and for the past 20 years I thought it was not economical for CGC to not offer cheaper shipping to their customers.  Considering that the vast majority of books submitted to CGC aren't that really that valuable they should never have offered any kind of over the top service such as RM for a book worth $50-200 after grading etc..

What I am not understanding is even if you have not submitted to CGC in a while you know all this information up front when you submit online with all those changes you do not like.  Why didn't you put the address you knew you wanted the package to be delivered to at the time of submission? 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/28/2022 at 11:13 AM, toro said:

I just put in the form,

Name

C/O Walgreens

(Walgreens -address)

City, State, Zip. 

If they send it to my house, it takes a return trip to Florida and they send it back to Walgreens the next time.

I have a FedEx account, but I don't bother to use it any more for this as it is cheaper using the $25 FedEx ground. 

This is exactly what I do too. Works great 

On 11/28/2022 at 1:31 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yes, Fedex will leave you a note just like UPS.  They will attempt to deliver it the next business day.  So unless you are not home 3 days in a row you should be able wait for the package and have it delivered.

I get what you saying that if it was USPS you can pick up the package on your time for a longer holding time, but RM is too expensive and for the past 20 years I thought it was not economical for CGC to not offer cheaper shipping to their customers.  Considering that the vast majority of books submitted to CGC aren't that really that valuable they should never have offered any kind of over the top service such as RM for a book worth $50-200 after grading etc..

What I am not understanding is even if you have not submitted to CGC in a while you know all this information up front when you submit online with all those changes you do not like.  Why didn't you put the address you knew you wanted the package to be delivered to at the time of submission? 

My main argument is that I should have a CHOICE like I was given in the past. 

The book is in the 4 figure range, to answer an earlier question. 

Why didn't I put an alternative address at the time I submitted? I didn't think it was allowed. Oversight on my part that will never happen again. 

If I prefer RM and I'm willing to pay for it, why can't I go that route? That is what is ASININE about this whole process. 

Also seeing a huge drop in customer service. I was put on hold for 20 minutes. That never happened to me back in the day. 

If this is the new CGC, I might tap out. 

Edited by newshane

On 11/28/2022 at 1:31 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

or they will just leave the book at your front door while you are out of town and will sign for you 

yep, that happened to me recently 

To make things better, just got home and checked...

FedEx didn't leave any sort of card indicating an attempted delivery. I guess they also missed the giant neon yellow note that I left on the door. :facepalm:

What a fecal circus.