• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Signature series - CCS pressing is a must to get 9.8?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hey there 

so I was thinking if you get a book signed and remarked but don’t get it pressed you will lose at least .2 in grade? 

Given you get someone who is real heavy with their hands on your book you’d need it pressed by CCS to keep it from dropping. Maybe they have arthritis or Parkinson’s even then they still could possibly affect the grade, not much but enough.

I looked at a bunch of posts saying signature grades on moderns aren’t getting 9.8 but get 9.6,,,no grader notes of course! And conferring with census on some recent signature events there are a lot of 9.8 but minimal 9.6.. maybe a random 9.4, any lower I’d guess some damage.

but it’s the 9.6 low numbers, with no notes and possibly no pressing after the signing that made me think if you sign and don’t press you possibly lose grade.

so should pressing with signing and remarking just be part of the total package rather than an added extra?

Should you have your books pressed by CCS during the Signature Series process? Yes.

Why? Not because they're 'automatically' lower grade from signing(s), but because this mitigates that risk. Better to purchase the service and not need it, than to need it and not buy it.

I would say that it's uncommon for NM grades to receive grader notes, and I think that makes sense. You would have a difficult task telling the difference between a 9.2 and 9.4, 9.4 and 9.6, etc.

I don't press most of my unsigned modern books and they still get 9.8, however when it comes to Signature Series I will always get them pressed (especially if I'm submitting an already slabbed 9.8 and don't want it to drop).

You can't inspect the book after it has been handled and signed for these special signings, so this is more of a precaution than anything else (and even slabbed 9.8 books might be soft 9.8s...and need every little bit of help to stay that way when re-graded)

On 11/28/2022 at 7:44 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Should you have your books pressed by CCS during the Signature Series process? Yes.

Why? Not because they're 'automatically' lower grade from signing(s), but because this mitigates that risk. Better to purchase the service and not need it, than to need it and not buy it.

I would say that it's uncommon for NM grades to receive grader notes, and I think that makes sense. You would have a difficult task telling the difference between a 9.2 and 9.4, 9.4 and 9.6, etc.

For me, this. For the extra $20 and fast track pressing on Sig Series, I've sent many raw in to get 9.8 back, sent slabs in and most have increased, a few stay the same and only one has gone down in grade. More that outweighs the cost/risk in my opinion. 

I would note that if you try to look up anecdotal evidence on the internet, you’re far more likely to find complaints in a larger percentage as people sharing experiences publicly are way more likely to be people with less positive experiences.  We simply don’t know the percentages so I’m not sure how much value to assign to internet complaints, obviously up to the individual.

On 11/29/2022 at 2:16 AM, revat said:

I would note that if you try to look up anecdotal evidence on the internet, you’re far more likely to find complaints in a larger percentage as people sharing experiences publicly are way more likely to be people with less positive experiences.  We simply don’t know the percentages so I’m not sure how much value to assign to internet complaints, obviously up to the individual.

That is very true and I should also add NONE of my books have ever been pressed by CCS (which I have heard is utter trash)....all my signature series books have been done through Rich Henn, who does the pressing and is amazing at it :D