• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this added marker resto or just a kid's doodle?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out if this would get a blue label or a purple?

At first I thought it was just someone filling in with marker, but there are no scratches to cover, it looks like x's and o's, so either tic tac toe or kisses and hugs by a kid?

Thoughts?

and thanks in advance:)
Sharon

20221201_103348.thumb.jpg.c2fe42f17ad05613bec4507ef484692b.jpg

20221201_103353.jpg

Edited by skypinkblu

On 12/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, skypinkblu said:

At first I thought it was just someone filling in with marker, but there are no scratches to cover, it looks like x's and o's, so either tic tac toe or kisses and hugs by a kid?

Thoughts?

Sharon

I'm guessing that you intended on attaching at least 1 image to your post?

On 12/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, skypinkblu said:

Thoughts?

Sharon

E4B5F53F-59C9-42DB-B205-A8A689179227.gif.66bd3bd2ebbc3a14be525c0761acf7e4.gif

On 12/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I suspect that CGC would consider that "restoration".

Thanks, I suspect so too...but wanted to double check:) Just in case they recently had a "doodling" waiver;)

Appreciate the help.

:foryou:

On 12/1/2022 at 3:53 PM, seanfingh said:

My guess is resto - to me it looks like the marker was added to cover up the doodling. And because they appear to have tried to "color match" the marker, it appears to be intentional. Sorry.

Agreed entirely. Also, I feel like irrespective of what was doodled or not-doodled or whatever, red marker on a red field is always going to get a resto flag.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, skypinkblu said:

No bleed thru.. but I think its marker not water color

Marker usually makes bleed thru. Water color is often used by pro restorers for color touch since, when applied properly, there is no bleed thru. :hi:

Looking at it I think the original assessment of kids drawing and later coloring over it and would glean a resto label. 

Using a large display it also looks like it could be a wet attempt to clean off the writing which caused it to smudge, which would be considered wet cleaning and also a resto label. :peace:

Edited by PovertyRow

On 12/2/2022 at 2:39 PM, PovertyRow said:

Marker usually makes bleed thru. Water color is often used by pro restorers for color touch since, when applied properly, there is no bleed thru. :hi:

Looking at it I think the original assessment of kids drawing and later coloring over it and would glean a resto label. 

Using a large display it also looks like it could be a wet attempt to clean off the writing which caused it to smudge, which would be considered wet cleaning and also a resto label. :peace:

I don't think it's water color, I've   taken more water color classes than I want to remember;) ...I think it's possibly a water based marker although those didn't really come out till the late 70's...and you might have a point about the removal. It could be an alcohol based marker. The card stock is so thick, it probably didn't bleed through.

In any case, a friend was interested in it and I am going to tell him it's restored.

So thank  you all :foryou: