• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEC in Cambridge, MA closing
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I visited there Quincy location every month or so for years. I picked up many great books from them, including an X-Men 1 and a bunch of EC books.

It was also my regular Christmas stop to get Tick related merchandise for my brother. 

I only went to Cambridge a few times. It is sad they are closing. 

They had one in my city, but sold it to the manager.  He was the best part of the store.  The old manager used to creep out the customers.  He went to the Brockton store, but he quit after being with them for almost 20 years.  I go to that one once in a blue moon and I'll go to the main store in Quincy. They have been having trouble getting people to work the stores.  They would have rolling black outs of a few of the stores. 

That's a shame.

I grew up in Philly, but visited the Cambridge store a few times.

The first trip was important, as it allowed me to complete my Tick collection (the original 1-12) and pick up a # 1 signed by Edlund - this was back in the '90s, the pre-eBay era.

I used to visit the Quincy location all the time.  Tom, the manager, was awesome and I picked up dozens of early silver age Marvels at great prices, along with an occasional page of original art.

The store in Harvard Square was also pretty good and they would have a decent collection of Silver and Golden Age books every so often. I think Benn (yes, that’s not a typo) was the manager for a long time.  I’d hop around the corner to the Million Year Picnic and chat with Tony (the owner) about selling me his silver and Bronze Age OA collection.  It seemed as though he was on the verge of saying ‘yes’ every time I spoke with him, but then he’d always sell a significant comic book and pause on selling the OA.

the store in Brookline (Coolidge corner) didn’t have a lot of decent silver or golden age books, but they did have the hot bronze and copper age books.  I was fortunate to pick up ASM 129, Xmen 94, GS Xmen 1 and hulk 181 from that location.

hope things turn around for them!

Edited by jjonahjameson11