• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The All Encompassing 2022 Golden Age Year in Review Thread
5 5

124 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2022 at 8:45 PM, Point Five said:

I got a ton of neat books this year and when time allows I'll take more group shots. But the collecting 'story' of this year was definitely rebuilding my Frazetta Famous Funnies run, and I appreciated all the support from you guys. I owned different copies of most of them years ago, but never all at the same time, and ended up selling each one off and somewhat regretting it. So one year later, here's 7 of the 8 issues... almost there! I thought the ship had sailed on ever owning some of these again in presentable condition, and it's honestly a bit surreal to see them all together, if you know what I mean. All are VG and lower but present well for their grades.

IMG_8058.thumb.JPG.fc087c74c7cbd99b2df2eb9b69a3af5f.JPG

So I'm not usually a selfie guy, but this is kind of a fun story. I sold this FF #215 as a raw 2.5/3.0 to @piper some 5+ years ago, and again, kinda regretted it. But John's a great guy and I was happy to do it... I think it was one of the last issues he needed for his own FF run. He picked it up from me in person in NYC and our two families had fun hanging out. When I heard his FF run would be part of an epic trade to @MrBedrock last month, I asked Mr. B to give me first crack at buying it back and he kindly obliged. (Besides the spark of sentimental value, I always liked the colors on this copy... the background has these deep jade greens instead of the olive-greens-to-browns more common to this issue.) So if I'm not mistaken, the book traveled around NYC with us 5 years ago, went to Canada with him, then to Florida to be slabbed, back to Canada and stayed there for some years, then to Texas as part of piper's trade deal, and finally back to NY. Whew. Welcome home! 

IMG_8015.thumb.JPG.be69db82dc637c0be5ddd830f1074a21.JPG

I’m glad you got your old copy back!

On 12/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, Point Five said:

I got a ton of neat books this year and when time allows I'll take more group shots. But the collecting 'story' of this year was definitely rebuilding my Frazetta Famous Funnies run, and I appreciated all the support from you guys. I owned different copies of most of them years ago, but never all at the same time, and ended up selling each one off and somewhat regretting it. So one year later, here's 7 of the 8 issues... almost there! I thought the ship had sailed on ever owning some of these again in presentable condition, and it's honestly a bit surreal to see them all together, if you know what I mean. All are VG and lower but present well for their grades.

So I'm not usually a selfie guy, but this is kind of a fun story. I sold this FF #215 as a raw 2.5/3.0 to @piper some 5+ years ago, and again, kinda regretted it. But John's a great guy and I was happy to do it... I think it was one of the last issues he needed for his own FF run. He picked it up from me in person in NYC and our two families had fun hanging out. When I heard his FF run would be part of an epic trade to @MrBedrock last month, I asked Mr. B to give me first crack at buying it back and he kindly obliged. (Besides the spark of sentimental value, I always liked the colors on this copy... the background has these deep jade greens instead of the olive-greens-to-browns more common to this issue.) So if I'm not mistaken, the book traveled around NYC with us 5 years ago, went to Canada with him, then to Florida to be slabbed, back to Canada and stayed there for some years, then to Texas as part of piper's trade deal, and finally back to NY. Whew. Welcome home! 

That's the way this stuff should always work. Happy Holidays!

On 12/23/2022 at 8:04 AM, flynavy807 said:

Shock Suspenstories 6 is on my must find list for 2023. Bid on a couple in 2022 but no joy.

I had been after that book for years!! And I pretty much gave up on getting a nice one. Prices were taking off (like with everything else) and I could never find a copy that presented well and I could actually afford.  

This copy came up for sale on the boards and I decided to reach out. I'm really thankful I did. It wasn't a planned purchase, but it's one of my favorite books. 

On 12/23/2022 at 10:06 AM, KCOComics said:

I had been after that book for years!! And I pretty much gave up on getting a nice one. Prices were taking off (like with everything else) and I could never find a copy that presented well and I could actually afford.  

This copy came up for sale on the boards and I decided to reach out. I'm really thankful I did. It wasn't a planned purchase, but it's one of my favorite books. 

It's such a great book, and yes I have been noticing the huge price surge on GA the last several months. With the way SA/BA is taking a dump it makes me wonder if collectors just left SA/BA for GA en masse so a bunch of money is pouring in. That's exactly what I did tbh. I am sure I am not alone. 

No matter the cause that's a great book! 

Edited by flynavy807

On 12/23/2022 at 10:06 AM, KCOComics said:

Cool! (Image not there?)

On 12/23/2022 at 9:40 AM, sagii said:

And last but not least of the shares, my single favorite pickup of 2022, snagged from @Forbush-Man awesome C'link auctions. 

Star Comics #17 (v2 #1).jpg

Never saw this one before an it is sweet❤️‼️🥰🥓

On 12/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, KCOComics said:

This guy... 

What's funny is, you had a low grade copy for sale a year or two ago. It was nice presenting and very reasonably priced and I didn't pull the trigger. 

That was always "the one that got away". But luckily, I learned to love again. 

IMG_20220625_105838860_HDR.jpg

This book slays me. The look on her face of terrified acceptance of her fate, the car in the background...it just all works perfectly.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:50 AM, flynavy807 said:

Okay Round 2 of 2022: The Year in Review. 7 in this go. As previously stated I think I have 3-4 more coming in the next couple weeks from auction houses that I will add on then. Anything beyond that will go in next years thread. Such fun!

Batman_23.jpg

Captain_America_26.jpg

Captain_America_78.jpg

Catman_28.jpg

Crime_Suspenstories_22.jpg

Wonder_1.jpg

Wonder_15.jpg

Quite a haul in record time (thumbsu

On 12/22/2022 at 9:45 PM, Point Five said:

Always great to hear somebody getting something back they regretted letting go! Congrats!