• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super Disgusted with latest CGC Returns...................
3 3

48 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2022 at 8:27 AM, Artboy99 said:

I once submitted a book that had signatures on it that I didn't see because I was so focused on the spine and the corners and the overall grade of the book. Received it back qualified and was embarassed to see the signatures. And 2 other people looked at it and also did not see the signatures!  They we very obvious and reasonably large signatures too. :facepalm:

Did it look anything like this book here where it's hard to make out some of the signatures, let along the underlying cover image itself:  :p  lol

ASM700_99sigs_OBV20221121153135979.png

On 12/21/2022 at 3:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Did it look anything like this book here where it's hard to make out some of the signatures, let along the underlying cover image itself:  :p  lol

It was a new 52 Batman #1 Van Sciver variant with extremely obvious centrally placed signatures. 

Edited by Artboy99

On 12/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, WillowManson said:

As the title says I am super disgusted with the latest returns I got. I submitted several issues that were bought pre-bagged and boarded and never read for collecting purposes back in the day and they all came back as 8.5 to 9.0. Issues include Amazing Spiderman # 375, Fantastic 4 # 265, 2 copies of Unlimited Spiderman # 1 and Legends of the Darkclaw # 1. I am trying to wrap my head around how these comics can come back with those lower grades when you can clearly see they are in near perfect condition in their cgc case. Whats worse is when you scan the code it shows issues with the comics I cannot see what so ever. I am now stuck with a butt load of comics that I will barely get my money back on from paying for grading when trying to re-sell them. What sucks is I bought and collected these comics when I was a kid as a future investment for retirement and now CGC is runing my retirement plans with their crappy grading. I may give them one more chance but if it is strike 3 on those returns they will never get my business again.

I remember being very surprised years ago when I made my first submission, but I wasn't disgusted with anyone other than myself. 

I quickly realized I had no idea how to grade. 

If you're open to learning, check out the CGC's grading guide along with the Overstreet grading guide. Read. Learn. Practice. Hang out on the boards. Learn some more. 

On 12/21/2022 at 5:07 PM, lou_fine said:

I bet this started out as a 9.8 and kept getting worse as people handled it to sign it.  Lucky it stayed in the 9's.

I too was disgusted with many books in my last submission, with several books downgraded for finger bends and similar non-color breaking bends etc, all from handling. These came directly from a very well known presser/submitter to CGC and should not have been mishandled this way. It really sucked to wait nearly a year for many shoddily handled books to be returned with lower grades because of those issues. One book I had to remove from the case because they scrunched the bottom so bas it rippled right across the entire bottom of the book. Thankfully it came out ok and the rippling went away upon removal. So THAT was a complete waste of $$$. I sent the grader notes/serial numbers to Mike but have not heard anything. (Mike is cool though, don't get me wrong.)

This new CGC is a far cry from the old one