• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Bread Badge 1940 (Giant)
1 1

27 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2023 at 3:49 PM, gadzukes said:

They just list items with virtually no description.  You can visit the auction house in person to examine items, but who can do that... it's all Caveat Emptor.

I've done extremely well on a few lots, but this loss wipes out all the good ones I got.

Also.... I've bought quite a few comics, but since their descriptions are so small and they don't really have many photos up you don't even know if there are coupons cut or missing CFs (both of which hav happened to me on HiBid)

It's all risk/reward on HiBid..... and yet I kind of like it.

...and people complain about eBay!  Sounds like a safe haven for every scam and ripoff artist out there.

What stops someone from advertising an Action #1 and sending you a Time magazine or nothing for that matter?

Was there no recourse through you payment provider either?

I wouldn't go any where near HiBid but to each his own I guess.  Sorry for your situation.

Edited by pemart1966

On 2/7/2023 at 9:10 AM, pemart1966 said:

What stops someone from advertising an Action #1 and sending you a Time magazine or nothing for that matter?

Hibid is not individual people selling stuff.  It is a conglomeration of Auction Houses (big and small) across the country auctioning off items.  All the items are with the auctioneer.  They take a photo (or "photos" if you're lucky), give a tiny description, and that's it.  

For comic buyers it's a bit risky because there's usually only a photo of the front cover.  When I've asked questions like "Is the comic complete?" I usually either don't get an answer or they say they don't have the time to be looking thru the individual lots (there's usually hundreds of lots for each auction).  Two copies of Detective 359 that I've bought through Hi-Bid have had something missing from the interior.  It's frustrating. 

On the other hand I've gotten some great comics for a song on HiBid like the two I show here.  These were both raw with only a picture of the front.  Luckily they were both complete, although the Comedy Comics 22 has a detached cover.  I got the Felix 1 comic for $40.  Nice price.

But I really screwed up on the Bread sign.... I should have asked questions, and since it's not an area of expertise for me I should have passed.  But I thought I had made an "amazing discovery" and it blinded me to the probable truth.  The guy at Hake's told me a LOT of collectors are getting fooled right now.

IMG_5479.jpeg

On 2/7/2023 at 12:37 PM, gadzukes said:

Hibid is not individual people selling stuff.  It is a conglomeration of Auction Houses (big and small) across the country auctioning off items.  All the items are with the auctioneer.  They take a photo (or "photos" if you're lucky), give a tiny description, and that's it.  

For comic buyers it's a bit risky because there's usually only a photo of the front cover.  When I've asked questions like "Is the comic complete?" I usually either don't get an answer or they say they don't have the time to be looking thru the individual lots (there's usually hundreds of lots for each auction).  Two copies of Detective 359 that I've bought through Hi-Bid have had something missing from the interior.  It's frustrating. 

On the other hand I've gotten some great comics for a song on HiBid like the two I show here.  These were both raw with only a picture of the front.  Luckily they were both complete, although the Comedy Comics 22 has a detached cover.  I got the Felix 1 comic for $40.  Nice price.

But I really screwed up on the Bread sign.... I should have asked questions, and since it's not an area of expertise for me I should have passed.  But I thought I had made an "amazing discovery" and it blinded me to the probable truth.  The guy at Hake's told me a LOT of collectors are getting fooled right now.

IMG_5479.jpeg

There's no recourse through your payment company e.g. Visa; PayPal?

So does the bidder know which auction house he's/she's dealing with?  

One would think that some entity in this chain would warrant the items for authenticity at a minimum.  

On 2/7/2023 at 2:41 PM, pemart1966 said:

There's no recourse through your payment company e.g. Visa; PayPal?

So does the bidder know which auction house he's/she's dealing with?  

One would think that some entity in this chain would warrant the items for authenticity at a minimum.  

Yes, you know what auction house you're dealing with each auction.  Some are big, some are tiny, some have their own wacky rules, some don't allow shipping so if you win and you didn't see that..... you might be making a loooooong drive to pick up your items.  Some only allow cash or wire transfer.  The rules and terms are all over the place.

When you register for each auction, you have to click on a "terms of agreement" with legal jargon stating that all the items at auction are all "as is" with no guarantees made.

I made a dumb mistake on this one and had no business bidding on it without knowing more about it.  They only described it as a cardboard sign and did not state it was authentic.  I took a stupid risk and lost.

Edited by gadzukes

On 2/7/2023 at 12:54 PM, gadzukes said:

Yes, you know what auction house you're dealing with each auction.  Some are big, some are tiny, some have their own wacky rules, some don't allow shipping so if you win and you didn't see that..... you might be making a loooooong drive to pick up your items.  Some only allow cash or wire transfer.  The rules and terms are all over the place.

When you register for each auction, you have to click on a "terms of agreement" with legal jargon stating that all the items at auction are all "as is" with no guarantees made.

I made a dumb mistake on this one and had no business bidding on it without knowing more about it.  They only described it as a cardboard sign and did not state it was authentic.  I took a stupid risk and lost.

Don't beat yourself up, it happens to the best of us. It may be an expensive lesson, but those are the ones that stick with us the longest. Sorry to hear about the situation, I know how deflating it can be. Thankfully, it looks like you have had a handful of wins based on your other purchases. Even Babe Ruth struck out a few times!

On 2/7/2023 at 8:19 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Don't beat yourself up, it happens to the best of us. It may be an expensive lesson, but those are the ones that stick with us the longest. Sorry to hear about the situation, I know how deflating it can be. Thankfully, it looks like you have had a handful of wins based on your other purchases. Even Babe Ruth struck out a few times!

I'm not letting it get to me at all.  Moving on.  

I'm even going to keep buying on HiBid (I'm just going to be more careful).

Part of my posting here was to warn other boardies about the sign just in case there are more of them floating around out there.