• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman Bread Badge 1940 (Giant)
1 1

27 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2022 at 4:30 AM, Kalel38 said:

This is a rare one. I have the first promotional badge from 1940 same kind of size and less then 8-10 I believe 

This is the one that was sold in the Hake's auction.  It says it measures 3" x 3.25" so it's less than half of the size of the one I just got.  I'm guessing this is what you have?

badge.jpeg

On 12/26/2022 at 12:34 AM, gadzukes said:

This is the one that was sold in the Hake's auction.  It says it measures 3" x 3.25" so it's less than half of the size of the one I just got.  I'm guessing this is what you have?

badge.jpeg

Nope the one I have is the supermen of America club badge from 1940 one of the rarest premiums. Less then 12 known to exist 

401D3B33-F4F9-4F96-B752-30A2B35AF897.jpeg

On 12/24/2022 at 9:51 AM, gadzukes said:

Interesting piece.  I'm guessing 1940

I've seen a smaller versions of this in the "Hake's Pop Culture Memorablia" book (only 5 known to exist) , but I've never seen a big one like this.

This one is 8" X 8.5"

Printed on super thick stiff card stock.  The back unfortunately has some tape pulls.

Anyone ever seen one of these?  I put a Golden Age Action comic in the one photo to show the scale of size.

IMG_4612.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4617.jpeg

Great piece! I suspect it is a store display sign. The smaller version has a pin on back that employees wore. All are very rare. The sign might be near one of a kind. 

On 12/24/2022 at 12:51 PM, gadzukes said:

Interesting piece.  I'm guessing 1940

I've seen a smaller versions of this in the "Hake's Pop Culture Memorablia" book (only 5 known to exist) , but I've never seen a big one like this.

This one is 8" X 8.5"

Printed on super thick stiff card stock.  The back unfortunately has some tape pulls.

Anyone ever seen one of these?  I put a Golden Age Action comic in the one photo to show the scale of size.

IMG_4612.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4617.jpeg

Truly Amazing!

On 12/27/2022 at 3:37 AM, Robot Man said:

Another great piece. Not a “badge” but a very large felt patch. In order to obtain it, you already had to be a club member. You then had to get like 10 other kids to sign up and use your name. Also very rare. I believe there are FAR less that copies of Action #1 in existence.

Extremely rare piece and less then12 from what I know 

I wanted to revisit this thread and let you guys know that the Superman Bread Shield Sign I posted turned out to be a FAKE!  :tonofbricks:

I sent it in to Hakes for authentication.  The said it's a fake that was made from the image of one of the small badge shields.

An expensive lesson learned for me.  (I paid nearly $1000 for it)

I bought it thru HiBid so it's a "Caveat Emptor" situation, I have no one to blame but myself.

But I wanted you guys to know so you understand there's someone out there making these larger versions.  Please be aware.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:49 PM, gadzukes said:

I wanted to revisit this thread and let you guys know that the Superman Bread Shield Sign I posted turned out to be a FAKE!  :tonofbricks:

I sent it in to Hakes for authentication.  The said it's a fake that was made from the image of one of the small badge shields.

An expensive lesson learned for me.  (I paid nearly $1000 for it)

I bought it thru HiBid so it's a "Caveat Emptor" situation, I have no one to blame but myself.

But I wanted you guys to know so you understand there's someone out there making these larger versions.  Please be aware.

I don't know anything about HiBid but surely if a product turns out to be fake then there must be a way to get your money back no?

On 2/6/2023 at 2:18 PM, pemart1966 said:

I don't know anything about HiBid but surely if a product turns out to be fake then there must be a way to get your money back no?

They just list items with virtually no description.  You can visit the auction house in person to examine items, but who can do that... it's all Caveat Emptor.

I've done extremely well on a few lots, but this loss wipes out all the good ones I got.

Also.... I've bought quite a few comics, but since their descriptions are so small and they don't really have many photos up you don't even know if there are coupons cut or missing CFs (both of which hav happened to me on HiBid)

It's all risk/reward on HiBid..... and yet I kind of like it.

Edited by gadzukes

Damn, that really suks! I would never bid with an auction house that does not stand behind their auctions. I had never seen this piece but the possibility it could  be authentic is entirely possible.

I have been burned by repros from time to time but only on very small amounts. I call it “education”. I guess I have always gone to “cheap schools”…hm

On 12/26/2022 at 8:37 AM, Robot Man said:

Another great piece. Not a “badge” but a very large felt patch. In order to obtain it, you already had to be a club member. You then had to get like 10 other kids to sign up and use your name. Also very rare. I believe there are FAR less that copies of Action #1 in existence.

That badge is super cool.  There's a Captain America item that was a similar concept, you had to get enough kids to sign up, and I don't think anyone's ever seen one.  So very rare indeed.

I wish rarity was intrinsically tied to value.  I have and have had comics that are far rarer than Action 1, but none are likely to ever get 1% of the price of the top Action 1s.  Demand is all that matters. 

What surprises me is that demand for comic related items sometimes seems really disproportionately when compared to demand for comics themselves from the same timeframe.  I guess they are just different markets.

On 2/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, sfcityduck said:

That badge is super cool.  There's a Captain America item that was a similar concept, you had to get enough kids to sign up, and I don't think anyone's ever seen one.  So very rare indeed.

I wish rarity was intrinsically tied to value.  I have and have had comics that are far rarer than Action 1, but none are likely to ever get 1% of the price of the top Action 1s.  Demand is all that matters. 

What surprises me is that demand for comic related items sometimes seems really disproportionately when compared to demand for comics themselves from the same timeframe.  I guess they are just different markets.

Price is always a combination of rarity and demand.  Sometimes something is incredibly rare but nobody knows about it and/or cares.

Comic related items do seem too cheap.  Rings, badges, early fanzines, posters, etc are usually just so cheap compared to comics.  It's a shame.