• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1962) Jack Kirby creates the Marvel Universe!
4 4

628 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2023 at 2:42 PM, Prince Namor said:

ANATOMY OF A STORY

This of course isn't new... Stan regularly made spelling errors... Fantastic Four #1 is such a great comic we over look some of these, but... there were a few...

FF #1 Spelling mistakes.jpg

One wonders how many of Stan's errors Artie Simek quietly corrected during the lettering process. 

ANATOMY OF A STORY

Amazing Fantasy #15

Stan Lee, in the Origins of Marvel Comics says:

"But alas and alack, when I saw the first few pages that Jack had drawn, I realized they were too good."

Sigh. First of all, who says that? 'They were too good." ...and he rejected them? Not likely. 

"Try as he might, he had been apparently unable to deglamorize Spidey enough."

This is peculiar, especially considering he used that glamorous COVER. 

Was Ditko's Spider-man UNglamorous?

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 4.44.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 4.44.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 4.45.04 PM.png

ANATOMY OF A STORY

Amazing Fantasy #15 - So the truth is... Ditko was most likely given Spider-man to do for THESE reasons:

a) He was already the ONLY artist that Stan was using on Amazing Adult Fantasy - why would that change for the final issue?

b) Kirby would do 75 pages and 7 covers vs Ditko's 20 pages and 0 covers. 

c) It lessened the connection between Spidey and Archie Comics' the Fly, by NOT having Kirby do it. 

d) Ditko took Stan's lame synopsis and actually made something great of it. 

ANATOMY OF A STORY

Amazing Fantasy #15 - BUT... if Ditko rewrote the story or Stan wrote the story... where'd they get the idea of having a loved one DIE because the hero was unavailable to be there for them? It was a new idea, right? A progressive story for a new generation of hero, spearheaded by the modern day Shakespeare?

Nope.

In the Private Life of Private Strong #1**, the 'Spawn of the X World' story, The Shield immediately goes into action, leaving his young friend Spud behind. The Shield defeats the monster, but Spud is killed in the fire created by the monster. The Shield reflects "I must learn all about them (his powers) -- to help others who may need him as spud did!" (i.e. I need to be responsible with these great powers!).

What are the odds???

Three years before Spider-man, Kirby uses one of the KEY historic plot devices that Lee/Ditko use in the origin of Spider-man?

**Read the whole story back in my 1959 thread (April) 

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 9.25.21 AM.png

On 1/14/2023 at 5:51 PM, Prince Namor said:

ANATOMY OF A STORY

Amazing Fantasy #15 - BUT... if Ditko rewrote the story or Stan wrote the story... where'd they get the idea of having a loved one DIE because the hero was unavailable to be there for them? It was a new idea, right? A progressive story for a new generation of hero, spearheaded by the modern day Shakespeare?

Nope.

In the Private Life of Private Strong #1**, the 'Spawn of the X World' story, The Shield immediately goes into action, leaving his young friend Spud behind. The Shield defeats the monster, but Spud is killed in the fire created by the monster. The Shield reflects "I must learn all about them (his powers) -- to help others who may need him as spud did!" (i.e. I need to be responsible with these great powers!).

What are the odds???

Three years before Spider-man, Kirby uses one of the KEY historic plot devices that Lee/Ditko use in the origin of Spider-man?

**Read the whole story back in my 1959 thread (April) 

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 9.25.21 AM.png

And of course, there are clear parallels with Kirby's Rawhide Kid #17 (dialogued by Lee). Johnny Bart even had an Uncle Ben!

ANATOMY OF A STORY

Amazing Fantasy #15 - BUT... Jack didn't utter the phrase 'With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility!'. Stan made that up, right?

Well, not exactly...

It's been used in varying forms throughout history from as far back as Voltaire, to governments ('a great responsibility is the inseparable result of a great power'), up through Winston Churchill ('The price of greatness is responsibility'.), to even... Pa Kent?