• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Grading Feedback on Torn Cover of an FF#8
3 3

9 posts in this topic

Looking for feedback here on my FF#8.  It's a very nice/clean copy (IMO), but it has a total cover tear on the far right part of the Cover. 

The catch is that I have the actual piece that fits perfectly in the open spot.  Ultimately, being realistic, it may not matter since I know its torn and I don't want to 'restore', but curious if anyone experienced a similar comic like this. 

If the feedback is that this could be a 'mid grade', that would motivate me to submit for grading.  Pics below.  Thanks in advance.  D

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

Piece.jpg

The notion that any tape or repairs, or missing pieces is good for a 4.0 at best is by the wayside now to some extent, but I find it hard to let go of that idea. Without tape the piece is 'missing' and with tape it has a repair. I'd go for a proper repair on this comic or else the tiniest of archival tape pieces to hold that in place for grading. As is I'd have to say 4.5 to 5.0 best. 

You're option are limited b/c the detached piece can't be encapsulated in place & various repair options have potential grading consequences. The detached piece, missing piece guide in the CGC book is (purposefully) vague. For a detached piece it says 1.8–7.0 for the cover. I'd guess this size piece is about midway through the range, so let's say an absolute ceiling of 5.5 if the rest of the book was perfect. However, the rest of the book isn't perfect. With this degree of spine wear, and the tanning, especially to the back cover, I would already lower this to a 5.5ish without the detached piece. I'm going to say 4.0±0.5 and the upper end is probably a stretch. 

Tape it on with archival tape inside front cover.

3.5/4.0 after C&P. Universal label.

Thanks for posting.

I just received a copy back of a book with a similar sized piece out. The piece is held in place with a bit of a post it note. Without the missing piece I had estimated the books grade at 5.0. It came back as a 3.5 with a slight C-1 designation.  I'm in agreement with @grendelbo that 3.5 to 4.0 is the ceiling for your book after C&P.