• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Often Do You See Daredevil #158?

51 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2023 at 4:12 PM, jdandns said:

Since it was bi-monthly, and had been for almost 2 years by the time of #158, doesn't that mean each issue of Daredevil during that span was on the racks twice as long as most other Marvels which were monthly (and hence, replaced on the stands by the next issue more quickly)? 

No, that would not be the norm, though it could have varied depending on the distributor and/or retailer.

On 1/10/2023 at 12:48 PM, fett said:

even a relatively low GUESStimate of 100k is still alot of copies. :) Sorry not trying to derail the Hype-Train. 

Not when compared to other big books ffrom the era. No one says it it is a scarce book, but it does appear to be less available than average BA stars.

On 1/10/2023 at 3:12 PM, jdandns said:

Since it was bi-monthly, and had been for almost 2 years by the time of #158, doesn't that mean each issue of Daredevil during that span was on the racks twice as long as most other Marvels which were monthly (and hence, replaced on the stands by the next issue more quickly)? 

That might actually equate to a better sell through rate of Daredevil issues that were produced during that nearly 4 year bi-monthly window, but those copies would've probably had more handling wear, especially those that sold closer to the end of the 60 day window.   

I finally got a #158 at a local comic shop in 1990. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but I remember it being gorgeous, so I don't think mine was on the rack too long when it was new. I don't think about it much, though, because as long as I'm an active comic collector, I'd never sell it. That issue begins a run that is probably top 5, all-time.

Most stands didn't keep comics for more than a week. As they were fully returnable, they would empty the comics off the shelf and replace them with this weeks delivery. It was more important to get the return credits than to worry about which books were monthly or bimonthly.  Weeks where you were on vacation or sick could wreck havoc on a collection as few stores sold week or two week old comics. It was no different than running store to store looking for a copy of last weeks newspaper.

I arrived home from vacation to find my DD 158 waiting for me.  As I flipped through the pages, I was struck by two thoughts on Miller/Janson’s artwork at this early (first?) point in their collaboration:

1.  The first interior page I have posted shows the very strong influence of Gil Kane in the fight scene figure drawing.  I feel the influence of Kane tends to continue until Miller went over to DC.

2. The second interior page I have posted really reminds me of Colan and Palmer.

2DD9367B-3B05-4209-A520-26E0BF1E8EB6.jpeg

6736A377-2966-4579-AC8A-02117A0EFB99.jpeg

DEBC50BF-9DB9-4888-B6B5-BD438693EAD0.jpeg

Edited by Phicks

On 1/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, shadroch said:

1977 DD Sales averaged 134,000

1978 DD Sales averaged 111,000.  

I doubt 158 sold more than 100,00 books, which makes it less popular than other Marvels of that era.  It certainly was in the lower tier of sales.

On 1/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, shadroch said:

1977 DD Sales averaged 134,000

1978 DD Sales averaged 111,000.  

I doubt 158 sold more than 100,00 books, which makes it less popular than other Marvels of that era.  It certainly was in the lower tier of sales.

Do you have Hexadactyly?

There are plenty of copies just because as everyone else noted, it was a C list marvel book and those sold better than A list DC books, for the most part. Its circulation was tiny compared to the same month's ASM though. Miller made DD a hot book pretty quickly (I don't think folks really knew who he was before then, but the stories took off, DD went from a kind of lame character who fought lame bad guys to something pretty cool with the ninjas, elektra and kingpin getting scarey)..frankly, i have no idea, the stories got cool, was it because with his art a lot of us thought we had a chance at being comic artists vs. byrne or perez or starlin who reminded us we didn't have a shot? I dunno.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:55 PM, the blob said:

There are plenty of copies just because as everyone else noted, it was a C list marvel book and those sold better than A list DC books, for the most part. Its circulation was tiny compared to the same month's ASM though. Miller made DD a hot book pretty quickly (I don't think folks really knew who he was before then, but the stories took off, DD went from a kind of lame character who fought lame bad guys to something pretty cool with the ninjas, elektra and kingpin getting scarey)..frankly, i have no idea, the stories got cool, was it because with his art a lot of us thought we had a chance at being comic artists vs. byrne or perez or starlin who reminded us we didn't have a shot? I dunno.

But yeah, I tell you it is not a book I have ever really gotten a "deal" on. And now I remember, I guess Miller did some DD on Spectacular SPiderman before this. He was the perfet artist for this character.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, tth2 said:

It's super common.  There's no such thing as a rare or scarce Marvel Copper book.

What about 30/35 cent price variants like SW #1? I think they would be the only scarce BA books (which DD #158 technically is).

Edited by kimik

On 2/25/2023 at 4:18 PM, kimik said:

What about 30/35 cent price variants like SW #1? I think they would be the only scarce BA books (which DD #158 technically is).

The western, war and funny animal 35 cent variants are straight up rare. Wouldn't even call them scarce.

I'd call some of the Curtis imprint stuff (like Gothic Tales of Love) rare/scarce as well.

Edited by october

On 2/26/2023 at 6:18 AM, kimik said:
On 1/9/2023 at 10:28 AM, tth2 said:

It's super common.  There's no such thing as a rare or scarce Marvel Copper book.

Okay, but that's artificial scarcity.