• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp Sellers
2 2

30 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2023 at 7:54 PM, Randall Dowling said:

By far, my favorite convention.  Highly recommended! (thumbsu

www.fantasyillustrated.net is also a fine source for Pulps and 1st Editions. The proprietor is Dave Smith. He sets up at the occasional show, too. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 1/13/2023 at 8:41 PM, goldsilverap said:

Thanks everyone for the recommended sites, one other thing thing is there something like Overstreet guide in the pulp world?

No. Both editions of the Bookery price guide are out of print, out of date, and were not that accurate when new.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:17 AM, jimjum12 said:

This, coupled with the stellar referencing, makes your guide quite indispensable, unless someone prefers to collect in ignorance. A large amount of Pulps are sold at auction, and due to their scarcity, those prices can be outliers, as the internet broadens the buying pool to an almost unrealistic parameter. I, for one, thank you for your admirable effort. As they say, there are those who do, and those who complain. GOD BLESS ...

Thanks for the kind words.  As for the bolded part above, I do caution newcomers about taking auction prices with a grain of salt.  Truly expensive and ultra-rare pulps may be more accurately represented at the big auction houses, if for no other reason than this is often the only forums in which they appear for sale.  But there is definitely auction-exuberance with more common material.  For instance, I'm currently tracking auction data continually for my own uses, as well as in case there is a 4th (and final) guide.  I see a number of science-fiction pulps, for instance, going for 2x-5x the guide prices at Heritage and other auction houses.  Yet simultaneously, the same books can be bought off eBay or mycomicshop.com for at guide prices or smaller premiums up to 1.5x.  

I too commend you on your efforts to legitimize pulp collecting. I know Overstreet had always taken a beating about prices in his guides.

What many folks tend to ignore is the information in guides like these. It is invaluable. An incredible resource.

No printed “guide” can even hope to reflect accurate, day to day pricing. Collecting comics and now pulps have become the stock market. Almost impossible to determine even with the electronic media we have at our disposal.

Thanks, so much for your efforts. I pull out my pulp guide several times a week. Not for prices but for the wealth of information contained inside!

On 2/23/2024 at 11:39 AM, Robot Man said:

I too commend you on your efforts to legitimize pulp collecting. I know Overstreet had always taken a beating about prices in his guides.

What many folks tend to ignore is the information in guides like these. It is invaluable. An incredible resource.

No printed “guide” can even hope to reflect accurate, day to day pricing. Collecting comics and now pulps have become the stock market. Almost impossible to determine even with the electronic media we have at our disposal.

Thanks, so much for your efforts. I pull out my pulp guide several times a week. Not for prices but for the wealth of information contained inside!

(thumbsu

One thing many people don't mention, and possibly fail to understand, is that there are many types of sales that comprise an accurate benchmark in time. There are friendship sales, hardship sales, accommodation sales, and consignment sales, as well as the ubiquitous Auction sales. I'm not going to insult anyone by defining each, as each term itself should be self explanatory. Needless to say, circumstances dictate price, and there are mucho variables at play. Long term  accuracy in a fixed reference format may be a bit optimistic, particularly with rarities. With things like this, one is best served by gut instinct honed over time. The guide will help you to realize that if you find a Spicy, mixed in with the boxing pulps, all at 10 clams each, your choice is simplified, unless you only have 10 and really, really dig boxing Pulps. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus):bigsmile:

Edited by jimjum12

My poor guide has seen a lot of use, invaluable resource as has been said.   Not sure why some would complain about a printed guide not having up-to-the minute accurate pricing,  but as has been said the pricing is great for a relative comparison between issues and titles.  My one small request if and hopefully when a new guide comes out is standardizing the placement of the rarity indications for the books, maybe always at the end of the descriptive paragraph?  

20240223_110517.thumb.jpg.5090e44aebe38d19d425564000c87f06.jpg

To get back on topic, I found this site referenced in the big pulp thread and seemed to have a good reputation.  If anyone has small sites with pulps I'd be curious to see those as well.

https://www.jamespayettecomics.com/catalog_list1.cfm?cat_descr=W&cat_family=2&family_name=Pulp

On 2/23/2024 at 2:12 PM, waaaghboss said:

My poor guide has seen a lot of use, invaluable resource as has been said.   Not sure why some would complain about a printed guide not having up-to-the minute accurate pricing,  but as has been said the pricing is great for a relative comparison between issues and titles.  My one small request if and hopefully when a new guide comes out is standardizing the placement of the rarity indications for the books, maybe always at the end of the descriptive paragraph?  

20240223_110517.thumb.jpg.5090e44aebe38d19d425564000c87f06.jpg

To get back on topic, I found this site referenced in the big pulp thread and seemed to have a good reputation.  If anyone has small sites with pulps I'd be curious to see those as well.

https://www.jamespayettecomics.com/catalog_list1.cfm?cat_descr=W&cat_family=2&family_name=Pulp

Jim had a ton of McLaughlin pulps and may still have some. I picked up a bunch of shudders and spicy's from him. He's great to deal with ... a friend once told me, and rightfully so, that Payette has the best "Good" in comics. GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/23/2024 at 1:16 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Tim, I just wanted to be another voice of thanks. Your guide formed a large part of my education on titles, authors, artists and all the other things that Pulps are besides price. The unfortunately disparaging tone of the post you responded to seems to disregard the tireless effort such a guide is. It seems to be a theme in many responses to old posts that were dredged out. Your persecution as an interloper back in the day was surely undeserved however my own sense of the reaction of "old time pulp collectors" in other forums than these to CGC grading confirms there's a bias to keeping the club door closed. The disgust and down-nose gazing I've seen at the prospect of the invasion of the club by vulgar cover art collectors in some groups is a bit disappointing but not unexpected.  I gather the same commenters will be happy to sell their wares at the higher prices that an expanded market of collectors will bring when they decide to cash out, as all humans must do eventually (or die with their booty in the hands of heirs)

My exact instructions to my family:  "I want to be buried with my booty in my hands"

Edited by Number 6

Seriously though, any chance on a new printing of the guide?

I don't think I'll jump in whole-hog on pulp collecting, especially with CGC now involved in grading them, and most of my disposable income is going towards book collecting.

But it would be nice to have a few pulps by my favorite authors, and I definitely need to get educated before I start spending any serious money on pulps.