• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Strange Worlds 5
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I bought this 10 years ago for only $130 and tucked it away in one of my boxes until I found it again today.

You can basically see the defects from my 2 photos.... except there's a piece of archival tape under each staple on the front cover (why didn't they put the tape on the inside spine?). So I believe the cover may have been detached at one time.

I don't see any other shenanigans on the comic.

I believe CGC will give this a "conserved label" but otherwise, what grade do you think it might get?

IMG_4881.jpeg

IMG_4882.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

Corner and edge wear with small color breaking creases and color rub, moderate spine stress w/color breaking ticks/creases, discolored staples, spine roll w/fanned pages, tape on staples, small pieces missing from top edge and outer corners of rear cover, moderate foxing/staining on rear cover.

The book does not have any "major" defects that I can see, the foxing, pieces missing on rear cover and tape will lower the grade depending on why it is there, however, this is a Golden Age book and may receive some leeway.

IMO...

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

Ugh.... it got a 1.5 Purple

The graders notes talk about the tape under the staples, but also say a piece was added at the staples which is why the purple label.

But even so..... 1.5????????

It does NOT look like a 1.5.  Come on.  I will probably crack this one out and sell it raw.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:00 PM, gadzukes said:

Ugh.... it got a 1.5 Purple

The graders notes talk about the tape under the staples, but also say a piece was added at the staples which is why the purple label.

But even so..... 1.5????????

It does NOT look like a 1.5.  Come on.  I will probably crack this one out and sell it raw.

Yikes that really stinks , purple 1.5 , time to unload it😩😞