• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 same defect, different grade
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Just got back my copy Hulk 181 it hit 9.4 CGC again.

It was a CGC 9.4 initially so I was hoping for at least 9.6 after CPR.

Grader notes before CPR :
- very light spine stress lines to cover
- very small, multiple bend right top of back cover

Grader notes after CPR : 
- multiple ink smear front cover (see pic)

I checked other books with similar grader notes and they got 9.8 (see pics)

I'm thinking of resubmiting again about US 450 + shipping... intially.

Has anyone experienced this on this book for this defect ?

I think I got hit harshly....

Thoughts ?

h181_94.jpg

other.jpg

other_notes.jpg

other2.jpg

other_notes_2.jpg

I have a 9.0. I’d love to have it cleaned and pressed but too worried it’d come back damaged. That’s a huge risk to take. I think CGC is reluctant to give out higher grades in this book, even if it  really is a higher grade. I think they considered the value of the comic when grading.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:34 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If they graded it a 9.4 right now, I don't see any use in re-submitting it again right now. If their current policy is that the defect affects grade, you'd have to wait until that policy changes...

The 9.8 W above was graded 02/28/2022 so about 10 months ago. I will carefully keep track of recent sales and see if any recently (last 3 months lets say) graded 9.8s with the same defect show up...

Edited by migmtl76

On 1/10/2023 at 4:28 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

One thing to consider is that those books graded at 9.8 maybe should be at 9.4.  :baiting:

While you can roll the dice again and again, I'm not sure your copy is a true 9.8.

Maybe 9.6 haha

On 1/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, Homeboy32 said:

I have a 9.0. I’d love to have it cleaned and pressed but too worried it’d come back damaged. That’s a huge risk to take. I think CGC is reluctant to give out higher grades in this book, even if it  really is a higher grade. I think they considered the value of the comic when grading.

I think the value between 9.0 and 9.2 might not warrant the risk and cost. If you do send it always take many pics of the book (all angles) before sending it to prove any damage CGC might inflict to your book.

On 1/18/2023 at 1:47 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s been a plethora of Quality Control issues as of late.   Even if the book hits 9.6 on resub, I’d be concerned the book might not return to me in that condition.

QC really worse than it has always been ? You would think on a big book like this 3 pairs of eyes would see the book. That's what CGC says in any regard. I would think at least an experienced grader would grade the walkthrough books...

On 1/18/2023 at 2:12 AM, migmtl76 said:

QC really worse than it has always been ? You would think on a big book like this 3 pairs of eyes would see the book. That's what CGC says in any regard. I would think at least an experienced grader would grade the walkthrough books...

It’s not the graders that concern me.  

Book looks sharp. Let us know how it turns out.:wishluck:

Two questions.

How can a copy with ink loss running vertically from Hulk's right pant leg to Wolvie's right forearm receive a 9.8 grade?  And is this ink loss from the pressing, or a printing defect?

To me it appears to be a printing defect, as the original poster's 9.4 graded copy appears to have some of the same color loss, at least the lower part of it.  So I'm back to wondering whether copies with this color loss are deserving of the 9.8 NM/M grade even if it's a production defect.

1250372651_Hulkwithinkloss.jpg.fbaea2981a4dde4f11f6853dbc2dd628.jpg

Edited by namisgr

On 1/18/2023 at 5:44 AM, namisgr said:

Two questions.

How can a copy with ink loss running vertically from Hulk's right pant leg to Wolvie's right forearm receive a 9.8 grade?  And is this ink loss from the pressing, or a printing defect?

To me it appears to be a printing defect, as the original poster's 9.4 graded copy appears to have some of the same color loss, at least the lower part of it.  So I'm back to wondering whether copies with this color loss are deserving of the 9.8 NM/M grade even if it's a production defect.

Production related. I have seen hundreds of copies with the same issue to varying degrees.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:44 AM, namisgr said:

Two questions.

Exactly, grade the same I say. I got the ink smear grader, must be new (or cgc has changed the way they see this defect) because in the past graders always to my knowledge treated this like a production defect when grading the book and did not down grade because of it.

I found this useful post while searching for information on the defect :

Edited by migmtl76

it doesn't matter what they "used to do" it matters what they are doing now if you are going to resubmit. 

The quality control referred to is about each and every stage of the process.

-Shipping the book to CGC risks damage in shipping and loss/theft of the book

-Someone that receives your package and opens it might drop it, damage it, lose it, etc.

-the person who takes the book and adds it to the system and takes it to the graders may damage it, drop it

-the actual graders and how they inspect/handle the 100th book of their day on Friday because they are required to hit book grading quota and they are behind.

-the encapsulation process. I have a book that was damaged after the grading process where the encapsulation caused a very small tear to become very large.

-the shipping back to you again risks damage, loss, theft.

There are so many different situations where something can happen and it is an unfortunate part of the risk of this service.

With all of that in mind I say enjoy your fabulous CGC 9.4 white pages copy.