• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this acceptable...? Because it hurts my brain.
3 3

35 posts in this topic

I recently got a submission back from CGC with some dismal results. Most of the comics I thought would be 9.6- 9.8 received 9.2 and 9.4s and ones I thought I would be lucky to get a 9.0 received a 9.6. I will provide several pictures to show you my point. I mostly wanted to get feed back and ask if waviness in comics will affect the grade (even though I cant see any other issues with the comic) more so than a tear. Because in that same submission an uncleaned, unpressed, tear in the corner comic received a 9.6, and a comic with some waviness received a 9.2. I know that waviness is an issue on my end with my pressing and am currently working that issue out now as I have just started doing my own books. However is this grading accurate and more importantly acceptable? If you think there is something that can be done about this please give me some input because I really don't want to send books off if this is the type of results that come of it. 

thumbnail19.jpg

thumbnail17.jpg

thumbnail18.jpg

thumbnail-1.jpg

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail-2.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail4.jpg

thumbnail5.jpg

thumbnail6.jpg

thumbnail7.jpg

thumbnail8.jpg

thumbnail9.jpg

thumbnail10.jpg

thumbnail11.jpg

thumbnail12.jpg

thumbnail13.jpg

thumbnail14.jpg

thumbnail15.jpg

thumbnail16.jpg

thumbnail20.jpg

thumbnail21.jpg

thumbnail22.jpg

thumbnail23.jpg

thumbnail24.jpg

thumbnail25.jpg

On 1/17/2023 at 10:28 AM, Andrewandrewandrew said:

I know that waviness is an issue on my end with my pressing and am currently working that issue out now as I have just started doing my own books.

Woof, I somehow missed this part.

While CGC has their share of blame and problems with grading, new people beginning to learn to press on their own and then being surprised with grades, even a few years into pressing (most of these people have only been pressing for weeks at the least and a year at most) is exhausting.

You shouldn't be surprised by books you're submitting if you're clearly still learning how to press. The learning curve for grading alone is higher than most people think, and most people routinely over estimate their ability to grade, let alone press properly.

Not trying to be mean, but unless you plan on making a career out of working with books, or have an elevated sense of patience (which most of us don't), it takes more time to perfect this than almost anyone is willing to put in. In short, save the grief and just pay someone else that has a good reputation to do it.

I understand your disappointment but to call 9.2 and 9.4 grades dismal is a little strong. Anything 9.0 and above is near mint. That's not a dismal grade. Near Mint. Say it a few times: Near Mint, and see if you're still disappointed to have near mint comics. I wouldn't be! 

I have also seen numerous examples of comics looking they were damaged during encapsulation.

Were you disappointed in the grade on the ASM 365? With that lower corner damage, I wouldn't expect a grade that high. That said, I'd also be careful to disclose it if you are looking to sell as the webbing can obscure damage in pictures that people would not be happy with in hand. I don't have a problem with the 9.2 on the Lobo book. It still came back high grade but waviness isn't a non-issue.  A press should've been able to fix that.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:49 PM, PeterPark said:

A press should've been able to fix that.

I've read that a book pulled out of the press too early will have waviness like that.

Was that Lobo pressed before subbing?

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/17/2023 at 6:04 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I've read that a book pulled out of the press too early will have waviness like that.

Was that Lobo pressed before subbing?

“I know that waviness is an issue on my end with my pressing and am currently working that issue out now as I have just started doing my own books.”

OP

On 1/17/2023 at 4:54 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

“I know that waviness is an issue on my end with my pressing and am currently working that issue out now as I have just started doing my own books.”

OP

Oh duh. Thanks for highlighting that - I missed reading that.

Are you guys all unfamiliar with bindery tears and how CGC grades them? Admittedly, that's a pretty bad one and could possibly have been worsened after grading.

As for the wavy books, CGC should (and does) hit books damaged by newbs who think they know how to press, even if their reasons aren't what they should be.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:51 PM, Lazyboy said:

Are you guys all unfamiliar with bindery tears and how CGC grades them? Admittedly, that's a pretty bad one and could possibly have been worsened after grading.

The CB crease suggests it’s more than a bindery tear.  It looks like the whole corner was bent over

8518BA46-6D74-4FB6-9ADE-E435B91CD32A.jpeg.fa810219c7e3a1c6f3146dde264f79a7.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/17/2023 at 7:51 PM, Lazyboy said:

As for the wavy books, CGC should (and does) hit books damaged by newbs who think they know how to press, even if their reasons aren't what they should be.

Looked like a corner bend to me. If it's a bindery tear, my understanding is it would not factor into the grade.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:04 PM, PeterPark said:

Looked like a corner bend to me. If it's a bindery tear, my understanding is it would not factor into the grade.

That corner definitely started as a bindery tear. It's certainly possible that CGC someone damaged it at some point, either before or after grading. :whistle:

On 1/17/2023 at 6:17 PM, Lazyboy said:

That corner definitely started as a bindery tear. It's certainly possible that CGC someone damaged it at some point, either before or after grading. :whistle:

I dunno, my understanding is that a bindery tear is a tear (or mushrooming) of the very corner of the paper that (to my best guess) comes from either the paper catching something on the bindery machine while being saddle stitched, or that it is a weak spot in the paper and when folded, the very edge of it splits.

The book above looks like an impact as there is no tearing/mushrooming of the spine at the base of the book like this one:

1332648319_binderytear.png.c13939ee95b8ea135141a81d19624034.png

On 1/17/2023 at 8:03 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The CB crease suggests it’s more than a bindery tear.  It looks like the whole corner was bent over

8518BA46-6D74-4FB6-9ADE-E435B91CD32A.jpeg.fa810219c7e3a1c6f3146dde264f79a7.jpeg

This is a very common issue with this book. Usually top and bottom of the spine. 

On 1/17/2023 at 2:30 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Woof, I somehow missed this part.

While CGC has their share of blame and problems with grading, new people beginning to learn to press on their own and then being surprised with grades, even a few years into pressing (most of these people have only been pressing for weeks at the least and a year at most) is exhausting.

You shouldn't be surprised by books you're submitting if you're clearly still learning how to press. The learning curve for grading alone is higher than most people think, and most people routinely over estimate their ability to grade, let alone press properly.

Not trying to be mean, but unless you plan on making a career out of working with books, or have an elevated sense of patience (which most of us don't), it takes more time to perfect this than almost anyone is willing to put in. In short, save the grief and just pay someone else that has a good reputation to do it.

Oh I agree that statement. However was the waviness worse than that tear when it comes to grading? And I have no information to go off of as they didnt include grades notes for the 9.2 and I really dont see many defects with the 9.2 other than light spine stress and slight waviness. 

On 1/17/2023 at 2:45 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I understand your disappointment but to call 9.2 and 9.4 grades dismal is a little strong. Anything 9.0 and above is near mint. That's not a dismal grade. Near Mint. Say it a few times: Near Mint, and see if you're still disappointed to have near mint comics. I wouldn't be! 

Oh I agree, I just thought the 9.6 asm would be lucky to get a 9.0 and the lobo was 9.4 and up. I mostly wanted to have a discussion on if waviness should drop the grade more than a tear.