• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Winter Edition (#5) Round 1
15 15

155 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2023 at 8:47 AM, Kramerica said:

We should create a "Cone of Shame" for the person(s) who finish dead last in the contest. Not that it will be you. 

For the first round it will be me. FYI my head is small for the Cone. LOL!  Put in the wrong grade for ASM book.  Cost me dearly.   Also Mystery in Space was way off.  
I'll see if I can climb out of the drink the next few rounds.  Going to be tough though.

I gave the Batman a 4.0 :facepalm: 

I completely ignored the possiblity that the cover might be detatched and looked at the book and then took the spine into account after I gave it a grade. I gave it a GA bump too. My gut told me 3.0 but I ignored it. (I wish I could ignore my gut telling my that another beer to wash down that greasy burger is a great idea but that's a story for another day :makepoint:)

I wasn't hard enough on the beaver with that scuffing on the Blackthorne and too loose on the Transformer creasing. I was thrown off by the CBC on a 9.2 from the last contest.

Live and learn, on to the next round.

My Grades...

Batman #2    3.5

Mystery in Space #53  5.5

Amazing Spider-Man #9  3.0

Blackthorne  3-D  #75   8.0

Transformers #1   8.5

OK, so Batman  2 was not specified as detached cover from the staples that you can't easily see from the scan or I would have hit that dead on, not really fair to not mention that since we cant hold it in our hands to know this.  Mystery in space would have been a 6.5 but the color breaking stress lines along the top edge of the cover are too long and 5.5/6.0 (I was on the fence) is more accurate than that 6.5.  Transformers 1 I had at 9.0 and changed it last second because the color breaking corner crease on the upper back corner is way too big for a 9.0, it should not matter that its on the back cover or the front, either way should not be allowed in 9.0.  Yes the front cover is a 9.0 but no way that back cover crease keeps it at 9.0, its a sharp 8.5, so again I will take my grading all day vs. those grades.  2 of my grades were spot on and fairly easy, Batman 2 at 3.0 would have been super easy with basic cover detached info, they were off slightly on the other 2, I was spot on. ^^

On 2/1/2023 at 12:47 AM, Kramerica said:

We should create a "Cone of Shame" for the person(s) who finish dead last in the contest. Not that it will be you. 

Just give me the damn cone. 

On 1/30/2023 at 7:00 PM, CGC Mike said:

This round is closed.  Results coming up in a few.  I will then post the graders notes, followed by a link for round #2.  The results thread for this round will be posted tomorrow.

Sorry, I missed it -  Saw the message early Thursday saying the pics were coming Thursday night -  didn't update my calendar - woke in a cold sweat Tuesday -  OMG,  I forgot about the contest !  But I am playing along.

• Administrator
On 2/3/2023 at 12:03 PM, boron said:

Sorry, I missed it -  Saw the message early Thursday saying the pics were coming Thursday night -  didn't update my calendar - woke in a cold sweat Tuesday -  OMG,  I forgot about the contest !  But I am playing along.

Sorry to hear that. Glad that you are still playing along.   Look for the signup for the spring edition around April 1st.