• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention, April 21-23, 2023, Westin Lombard Yorktown Center, Lombard, IL
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2023 at 7:55 PM, Pulpvault said:

The 22nd annual Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention will be taking place next week!  The convention will take place on April 21-23, 2023 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois.  As usual, we will have auctions on both Friday (April 21) and Saturday (April 22) nights, and this year’s auctions will truly be fantastic. 

The Friday night auction features 200 lots of material from the estate of famed collector Robert Weinberg, while the Saturday night auction features material from several consignors.  And additional lots will be added to the Saturday night auction at the convention, to include material consigned there by convention attendees. 

Among the highlights in this year’s auctions are: 

- Numerous issues of Weird Tales in both Friday night's and Saturday night's auctions, including the first Conan story and the famous batwoman cover issue, many in gorgeous condition 

- A rare letter from Weird Tales editor Farnsworth Wright to one of Weird Tales’ artists, James Napoli, from 1935 

- Two issues of Amazing Stories, with the only two appearances of Buck Rogers in the pulps

- Other signed items by Clark Ashton Smith, Robert Bloch, August Derleth, Max Brand, Ray Cummings, Johnston McCulley (creator of Zorro) and many others 

- Complete runs of the pulps Air Wonder Stories, Famous Fantastic Mysteries, Two Complete Science-Adventure Books and more 

- Many rare U.K. and Australian science fiction pulps and books 

Numerous H.P. Lovecraft items, including a typescript leaf for "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and the 1937 publication, "HPL," which was limited to 25 copies

- Numerous Robert E. Howard, including the rare "The Hyborean Age"

Rare items by Clark Ashton Smith, including "Odes and Sonnets” 

- A carbon typescript for Donald Wandrei's "The Sea Change", published in Weird Tales, May 1933, as "Spawn of the Sea"

- And much more! 

The complete auction catalog, along with images, is now available on our website: 

www.windycitypulpandpaper.com 

More details will be posted on our Facebook page -- search FB for Windy City Pulp and Paper or go to: 

https://www.facebook.com/windycitypulp/ 

The website also has details on absentee bidding, for those who can’t make it to the convention. 

But the auctions aren’t our only highlight!  Friday through Sunday, our massive dealer room will be buzzing, bursting with 180 six foot long tables, with roughly 100 dealers from the U.S., Canada, U.K. and Switzerland displaying pulps, vintage paperbacks, science fiction, fantasy & mystery hardcovers, golden and silver age comics, original illustration art, movie memorabilia and more! 

Our art show will feature a great display of art from the hero pulps, such as The Shadow and Doc Savage.  As usual, our film programming, curated by Ed Hulse, will run Friday and Saturday, showing movies and serials based on pulp stories.  Our evening programming will include presentations on the hero pulps.  And Sunday morning will see New Pulp Sunday, programming devoted to the vibrant and colorful world of New Pulp organized by Ron Fortier of Airship 27 Productions.  And all attendees will get a copy of our fabulous convention book, put out by Tom Roberts of Black Dog Books. 

We hope you’ll join us for the fun and excitement at this year’s Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention!  For more info, contact Doug Ellis at pulpvault@msn.com. 

What are the hours for the show and the early bird hours?

The info I see on the site is for 2022. 

Now I see it; the formatting on my phone was cutting off the left-hand part of the page:

image.png.1b6fb3806c83cdf4ba6f88a1610399c3.png

Edited by manetteska

I know this is a Long-Shot! And this is not a WTB thread;  But I have been searching for this Pulpy-Pulp for a wee-bit and have come up short. :sumo:

If anyone has a lead on this or see's one at the show, I would very much appreciate the lead or willing to purchase if you were to pick one up.  Hit me here or via Direct Message.  Thank you so kindly.

@Pulpvault @TerrysComics @comicjack @Comics-n-ERB @Robot Man :foryou:

Speed Adventure Stories (1943-1946 Trojan-Arrow Publishing) Pulp Vol. 3 #6 Jan 1946

image.png.c0a8ea78ef3af5464d9532768d284a24.png

On 4/21/2023 at 9:36 AM, Robot Man said:

Amazing weekend for collectors in Chicago this weekend. Hit the Pulp show on Friday and Saturday then hit the world famous Chicago Toy Show at the Kane County Fairgrounds on Sunday. Junk drunk!

@PopKulture

My schedule exactly this weekend. 

Amazing weekend for collectors in Chicago this weekend. Hit the Pulp show on Friday and Saturday then hit the world famous Chicago Toy Show at the Kane County Fairgrounds on Sunday. Junk drunk!

@PopKulture

Normally in this case, I’d forego the toy show, as this has happened in the past. This year, however, I’m helping a friend set up at the toy show, so I’ll take a quick lap around the toy show and probably still stop back by the pulp show later. There’s just so many people to talk to even after the buying is done. 

On 4/21/2023 at 3:31 PM, manetteska said:

@PopKulture

My schedule exactly this weekend. 

I think I like pulps now... as my wallet is quite empty.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:33 PM, PopKulture said:

Normally in this case, I’d forego the toy show, as this has happened in the past. This year, however, I’m helping a friend set up at the toy show, so I’ll take a quick lap around the toy show and probably still stop back by the pulp show later. There’s just so many people to talk to even after the buying is done. 

Miss our conversations, pal.  Next year, I'll be back down and we can resume that game we came up with!  (thumbsu

On 4/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, JollyComics said:

Pardon my ignorance upon the pulp books,  are you focusing on the covers, stories or both?   I would bet on the covers only.

I can only speak to my very limited experience, but I focused on the covers (as there is also a wealth of background knowledge I do not have). That being said, there are many with historical significance due to the story, author, or both.

But I will leave that to the experts.

I'll dump a bunch of covers pics later if there is interest.

On 4/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Miss our conversations, pal.  Next year, I'll be back down and we can resume that game we came up with!  (thumbsu

I look forward to it! I was talking to Steve late this afternoon and he showed me some really nice original art that he’s shared here on the Boards, but since I don’t frequent the magazine thread, I missed it. 

On 4/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, JollyComics said:

Pardon my ignorance upon the pulp books,  are you focusing on the covers, stories or both?   I would bet on the covers only.

Nowadays, it’s mostly about the covers. Forty years ago, it was more about the content. There are still quite a few authors like Burroughs, Hammett, Lovecraft and Hubbard, among others, who certainly drive demand for certain issues and titles. 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:51 PM, PopKulture said:

Nowadays, it’s mostly about the covers. Forty years ago, it was more about the content. There are still quite a few authors like Burroughs, Hammett, Lovecraft and Hubbard, among others, who certainly drive demand for certain issues and titles. 

Yes, I did read some.  Great stories and writers with little illustrations. However, the covers always draw the attention today.