• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overrated Key "First" Books
5 5

321 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2023 at 10:05 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Isn't the symbiote sentient?

Yes.

Is Dylan Venom?

Who?

What about Flash Thompson?

What?

And most importantly, what about Topher Grace?

lol

On 1/23/2023 at 8:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Personally, I wish he just kept the suit.   I liked Black costume Spidey.  (shrug)

I like both. I grew up reading when he switched back and forth between the red and blues and a non-symbiote black costume. I loved it.  

On 1/23/2023 at 11:09 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I like both. I grew up reading when he switched back and forth between the red and blues and a non-symbiote black costume. I loved it.  

But I liked the costume that responds to his thoughts.  Organic webs.  Can transform into street clothes. Increased strength.  What’s not to like? 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/23/2023 at 10:05 PM, trademarkcomics said:

The symbiote and anyone is Venom. How else could we have "Venomized" characters?

It's commonly called the Venom symbiote because that's how it's best known, regardless of any ridiculous :censored: Marvel did after they became complete garbage. I guess they never gave the symbiote itself an actual name?

On 1/23/2023 at 10:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Personally, I wish he just kept the suit.   I liked Black costume Spidey.  (shrug)

Black costume Spidey is still my favorite Spidey. And my brother stole my Black Costume Spidey and my Wolverine Secret Wars Action figures and sold them or traded them, probably for something stupid like pogs and I'm still upset about it and I'm almost 45 years old.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:15 PM, Lazyboy said:

Well, its attempt to permanently bond with you, if you're Peter.

That could have been something that began to happen over a much longer period of time.  I assume there were angry fanboys that demanded the blue and red spandex be returned to them though.:insane:

On 1/23/2023 at 8:13 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

But I liked the costume that responds to his thoughts.  Organic webs.  Can transform into street clothes. Increased strength.  What’s not to like? 

But that version was like the ultimate stalker, I mean it wanted to live inside him. Creepy!

On 1/23/2023 at 8:14 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Black costume Spidey is still my favorite Spidey. And my brother stole my Black Costume Spidey and my Wolverine Secret Wars Action figures and sold them or traded them, probably for something stupid like pogs and I'm still upset about it and I'm almost 45 years old.

I took mine and either burned them or sent them flying into a canyon(along with my GI Joes and Transformers). I'm over 50 and still upset about it. (:

On 1/23/2023 at 10:21 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I took mine and either burned them or sent them flying into a canyon(along with my GI Joes and Transformers). I'm over 50 and still upset about it. (:

When I think of all the G.I. Joes I used for BB Gun target practice... Ugh...

On 1/23/2023 at 8:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That could have been something that began to happen over a much longer period of time.  I assume there were angry fanboys that demanded the blue and red spandex be returned to them though.:insane:

Hey, the red and blue union suit is a national treasure, man. 

flag.gif.b56825fddb219acc6865916103e844c6.gif

On 1/23/2023 at 9:35 PM, Lazyboy said:

You know "retcon" is slang for retroactive continuity, right? Continuity is what is shown in chronological order. Filling in the blanks of (or modifying) the past is the literal definition of retroactive continuity.

Interesting, thank you.  Never having looked it up, I've generally read it as "retroactively conceived."  I.e. the PTB decided later that they would rewrite established history.

Won't dive into the hornet's nest of the main topic, except to comment that in the 8 years or so I've been back collecting, I noticed a large increase in the value of Hulk 180 as a percentage of 181.  I've assumed mainly that this was because of the huge run ups we've seen in prices (can't afford a 181 so buy this other one), but maybe the persistent argument of "well, 180 is technically Wolv's first appearance" has gained traction. 

So for all those with stockpiles of the "lesser" counterparts to a key book, keep it up!  Ya never know.