• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grade is in: Hulk 181
2 2

23 posts in this topic

I haven't gotten this one in hand yet, but I was thinking of cracking, C&P, and resubmitting this one.  What are your thoughts on potential grade for this?  Thanks for your insights!

Grade: CGC 6.5

Grader notes:  
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
spine stress lines to cover

s-l1600 2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 3.jpg

Edited by travizb

On 1/23/2023 at 5:46 PM, travizb said:

I haven't gotten this one in hand yet, but I was thinking of cracking, C&P, and resubmitting this one.  What are your thoughts on potential grade for this?  Thanks for your insights!

s-l1600 2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 3.jpg

What's it graded at? Do you have the grader notes?

Edited by ak47po

On 1/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, ak47po said:

What's it graded at? Do you have the grader notes?

I just edited the original post to include the notes and grade (6.5).   Thanks

light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
spine stress lines to cover

I have a 6.5 & we could quibble about the defects of each on how they impact the grade, but I think my 6.5 presents better than this. With that in mind, I think there's a risk here. What was the date this was graded originally?

On 1/23/2023 at 7:50 PM, scburdet said:

I have a 6.5 & we could quibble about the defects of each on how they impact the grade, but I think my 6.5 presents better than this. With that in mind, I think there's a risk here. What was the date this was graded originally?

I gambled on this one with the expectation that it will clean up nicely and that the "creases" mentioned in the notes will mostly clear up.  The book was graded in August 2022 so a relatively recent submission.  

On 1/23/2023 at 8:58 PM, travizb said:

I'd like to have @joeypost C&P this thing, @scburdet

It will clean up, that's for sure. Typically, in the past, a book like this would have received a generous bump. Now I fear it may be a grade or two. Still worth it for a Hulk 181.

Edited by joeypost

On 1/23/2023 at 10:29 PM, joeypost said:

It will clean up, that's for sure. Typically, in the past, a book like this would have received a generous bump. Now I fear it may be a grade or two. Still worth it for a Hulk 181.

@joeyposthas grading been getting stricter recently?

The letters in HULK and the back cover look quite dirty so definitely does not appear to have been cleaned. I think that posed a bigger defect visually but I know CGC does not hammer that kind of "contact soiling" as much because it is generally able to be removed. The finger bends could improve it. I think at best you could see 7.0. A press won't fix those spine ticks and some of the corners seems to have wear consistent with 6.5-7.0 books. If you think a 0.5 bump is worth the attempt, go for it. I would be surprised if it got 7.5 and stunned if a press/clean got it to 8.0 range.

That has a ton of dry clean improvement and slight press improvement, final grade will likely cap out at 7.0 due to spine stress, 7.5 not impossible but would be a real stretch, but a bump is still a bump and the presentation will be much nicer after dry cleaning!

On 1/28/2023 at 11:38 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

Let us know what happens..............

Will do.  I have an existing order with JP so I'm hoping to have him professionally C&P this guy.  This is definitely a long-term PC item for me so I'm super excited to try to get it as presentable as possible. 

On 5/9/2023 at 8:17 PM, travizb said:

Again, you were all spot on.   CPR bumped this to 7.0.  Thanks for the input.

image.thumb.png.d8f63e55758eda7cf09a44b91c161269.png

Fair to assume you'll post pics when it's in hand? I'd like to see how well the soiling came off. Good result!