• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X Men 1 1963 6.0 Qualified Grade Missing Page 12 - I replaced the missing page and CGC Re- Graded it 5.0 Qualified 5th Wrap Married
2 2

9 posts in this topic

X Men 1 1963 6.0 Qualified Grade Missing Page 12 - I replaced the missing page and CGC Re- Graded it 5.0 Qualified 5th Wrap Married

Why the Rip Off Grade? The book was not damaged in any way shape or form and CGC just burned me on the grade, anyone experience the same thing? or does anyone know why?

Edited by sabretooth
left out important info

Any time you send in a previously-graded book, you run the risk of the grade going down. Certainly some additional handling on your part was involved to marry in the page. That could have affected the grade. Or just different graders, different day. It's always a spin of the wheel, especially if not pressed, and sometimes even when pressed.

I’d look at the difference in graders notes for a clue

Mine is missing a page 12 too which I think is the Dinosaur Grog and ASM #4 advertisement?  How did you find the page 12?  I am also missing the splash page 1 but I figure that is easier to track down than page 12.  Also should I marry page 1 and 12 or should I get a coverless book and marry the cover?  If I marry the cover to a coverless book then I could sell the existing individual pages.  I am on the fence because I could just get it graded and not do anything to it it will probably still be a 0.5 Universal although I don't like having incomplete books either.  I think it is too low grade to get anything better than a 2.0 but maybe that would still be a 2.0 qualified I don't know.  I am just totally surprised I basically finished the X-men somehow except there are still a few straggler books but have all the keys.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:41 PM, sabretooth said:

Why the Rip Off Grade? The book was not damaged in any way shape or form and CGC just burned me on the grade, anyone experience the same thing? or does anyone know why?

Sabretooth, good question.  I know you state that the book was not damaged any way, shape, or form, but perhaps they are paying attention to details you are not.  Do you have a lot of experience removing staples and replacing them without damaging the paper, or marring the patina on the staples, and replacing them in the exact location so they align with former witness marks in the centerfold?  Did you align the married wrap perfectly at all four edges (very difficult)?  Does it match the page quality of the pages around it?  Did you re-press it after marrying the wrap in?  Have you compared the before/after grader's notes?  Not being accusatory, these are just the questions i would ask myself if i was in your situation.