• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Downgrade in page quality after submission
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi. I did a CPR on an ASM #50 8.5 W hoping to get an 9.0 W.

This backfired and I got an 8.5 OW/W. I know it was gamble.

Given white pages are a premium on silver age books, I'm tempted to resubmit and maybe get a 8.5 W back.

Q. Is there any way to contest not a grade but page quality going down on a book (I still have the original label and pic of the book before) ?

I'm assuming not possible. I figure a screening at ccs would not help either since that is just for Pressing purposes.

This happened to me on two huge keys also. The grade went way up but the page quality went from W to OW/W.

For those I won't risk resubmiting them just frustrating haha

Edited by migmtl76

On 1/24/2023 at 2:40 PM, migmtl76 said:

Hi. I did a CPR on an ASM #50 8.5 W hoping to get an 9.0 W.

This backfired and I got an 8.5 OW/W. I know it was gamble.

Given white pages are a premium on silver age books, I'm tempted to resubmit and maybe get a 8.5 W back.

Q. Is there any way to contest not a grade but page quality going down on a book (I still have the original label and pic of the book before) ?

I'm assuming not possible. I figure a screening at ccs would not help either since that is just for Pressing purposes.

This happened to me on two huge keys also. The grade went way up but the page quality went from W to OW/W.

For those I won't risk resubmiting them just frustrating haha

First off, I'm sorry for your loss.

If I were CGC, I'd consider the prior grade, including page color, to be completely irrelevant.  The old label shows the grade including PQ, in the opinion of the graders, back when it was originally graded.

When it was re-evaluated, the graders deemed it to be a different PQ.  There are two possibilities here:

• The pages haven't changed at all, and the more recent graders had a different opinion. 
  • The pages have aged and have lost some of their whiteness since the original grading. 

CGC does not, and should never, take into account a prior grade when re-grading a book, because a grade can and most likely will change over time.  Even under the best of conditions, the pages will eventually get browner.  Under less-than-perfect conditions, the book can be damaged (shaken comic syndrome, for example) and the book can age poorly in its slab (especially with exposure to light, heat and/or moisture).  So a prior grade should never matter on a regrade.

Edited by SOTIcollector