• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books Like This...

8 posts in this topic

we all know the market is soft right now from recession and inflation fears. but when i saw this gpa result of an asm5 5.5 selling recently for a ridiculously low price of $870, about half what it ought to be, i had to click the link. now i see why. the fading is absolutely ridiculous. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-amazing-spider-man-5-marvel-1963-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/122303-15029.s

i saw another faded book like this also achieve a crazy low price this year, although i cannot recall the specific book. now, gpa will often break out sales where it says 'cgc case cracked' and other notes like that, separating them from the average sales of standard books so they do not 'contaminate' the overall results. how about a separate breakout for books with massive fading? seems like it would be a good move since i doubt that a book like this is a true reflection of the value of an asm5 5.5 grade, or any other badly faded book is either. 

asm5-faded.jpg

here's another one ending shortly that's going to decimate GPA averages on this book. high time they broke out faded books into their own category imo. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/journey-into-mystery-83-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-45-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122305-19537.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

thor.jpg

On 1/28/2023 at 9:39 AM, alexgross.com said:

here's another one ending shortly that's going to decimate GPA averages on this book. high time they broke out faded books into their own category imo. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/journey-into-mystery-83-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-45-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122305-19537.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

thor.jpg

I agree, if GPA wants to be (and stay) the "price guide standard" for cgc graded comics. something like this MUST be out into the GPA sale logs as it will certainly go for many thousands less than a typical 4.5,    say what you want, but extreme sun fading from terrible storage (display) takes a massive hit on big books, and without notating it, will hurt the value across the board. 

****This has been going on for a long time.  and should have been addressed already

On 2/5/2023 at 7:29 AM, alexgross.com said:

looks like gpa did do as i had hoped and break out the badly faded books mentioned above into their own separate item lines and not in the main averages.

awesome to see them be so responsive! +1

Wow.....I am impressed.   Really fast.   Though I can appreciate the slippery slope for them about creating sub-categories of things related to visual appeal (stains, chipping, writing, etc.).    But those faded books are just so bad.   It is like that Hulk #181 in 9.8 that circulates on the boards that is about 50% of normal color saturation.  

On 1/27/2023 at 7:33 AM, alexgross.com said:

we all know the market is soft right now from recession and inflation fears. but when i saw this gpa result of an asm5 5.5 selling recently for a ridiculously low price of $870, about half what it ought to be, i had to click the link. now i see why. the fading is absolutely ridiculous. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-amazing-spider-man-5-marvel-1963-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/122303-15029.s

i saw another faded book like this also achieve a crazy low price this year, although i cannot recall the specific book. now, gpa will often break out sales where it says 'cgc case cracked' and other notes like that, separating them from the average sales of standard books so they do not 'contaminate' the overall results. how about a separate breakout for books with massive fading? seems like it would be a good move since i doubt that a book like this is a true reflection of the value of an asm5 5.5 grade, or any other badly faded book is either. 

asm5-faded.jpg

PSA has notations for certain defects like (oc) for off center and (s) for stain.  Similar to a qualified grade, but without a different color to the label.  That would be a fair way to handle this.  Or they could grade it accurately also, because that degree of fading ain't a 5.5

On 2/7/2023 at 11:06 AM, buttock said:

PSA has notations for certain defects like (oc) for off center and (s) for stain.  Similar to a qualified grade, but without a different color to the label.  That would be a fair way to handle this.  Or they could grade it accurately also, because that degree of fading ain't a 5.5

Though the fading can occur post grading as well.   

The graders notes for the ASM #5 above don't mention fading. 

I know CGC is moving toward fewer label notes rather than more, but in the case of fading, it would be great if CGC had a policy to always note the degree of any fading in the graders notes (e.g. slight fading, moderate fading, severe fading).

If it was CGC policy to note the degree of any fading in the graders notes and you got a faded book back from CGC that didn't note the fading in the notes, then would want to contact CGC ASAP after getting it back and send pictures (or the book) to CGC to review / update the graders notes. Without fading noted in the grader's notes, buyers may assume that any fading occurred post-slabbing.