• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your one and only favorite Silver Age Cover
2 2

85 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2023 at 5:51 PM, hchill25 said:

For me, it was a toss-up between Supes 199 or Bats 200...

Sup 199.jpeg

One of my all-time favorites! I scored my copy, a raw 2.5-3.0, at a show in 2021 for $20! I'm close to having all of the various Flash/Superman race issues - according to Key Collector, there are 14 total race issues, but the main ones I'm focused on are Superman 199, Flash 175, World's Finest 198 and 199, DC Comics Presents 1-2, and Adventures of Superman 463.

............for me, it always comes down to this cover. I also like the backstory of how it was created, "It was a Sunday night, I’ll never forget it. The cover art had to be in by Monday morning. Not only does Frank not have the faintest idea of what he’s going to paint, he doesn’t have any canvas board in the house. We get into this terrific fight, it’s always like this. Frank runs down to the cellar. We were putting in a masonite floor in the basement so Frank decides to tear up a piece of the floor, put it on the easel and had it done in six hours.”

Creepy-015.jpg

On 2/17/2023 at 7:44 PM, Robot Man said:

I was born to the SA. I started buying comics a year or so before the Marvel Superheroes. Mostly Batman, Detective, War and the occasional DC sci-fi or "horror" titles with my megar allowance and lawn cutting money. There really weren't a whole lot of alternatives. My first Marvel was ASM #3 at the drug store. I fell in love with Marvel and the other stuff kind of took a back seat. 

To define my favorite cover of the SA is near impossible. But one book just keeps popping into my head. I remember seeing this on the rack and was fascinated and had to have it. I read the heck out of it. Sadly, it went in my mom's "comic book purge". I'm primarily a GA guy now but I have bought a fair amount of collections over the years and built back my SA collection. Now, days, I buy very few SA books. Fast forward to many years later, I saw this one on a dealer's wall and just had to have it back.

Is it what I think to be the "best" cover of the SA? No, but is probably my sentimental favorite.  

comourarmyatwar198cgc.jpg

I love that cover also such great line work by Joe 

On 2/18/2023 at 12:45 AM, OtherEric said:

This was the first that came to mind, and I've been trying for a couple weeks to see if anything else came to mind.  It hasn't, this is just an iconic, often swiped classic that captures the spirit of Silver Age DC perfectly.

Adventure_247.thumb.jpg.3b9494f0a68b407b8ed84ce77dc129e1.jpg

CGC 1.0 👍‼️Oops thought this was spare a grade thread😜