• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Shock Suspenstories # 8
1 1

7 posts in this topic

OK, I made a hasty purchase failing to see that this comic has multiple detached pages. The cover has nice color and looks good in a bag and will look good in a slab. Who get this graded? I see a CGC 1.0 recently sold for $303 on an eBay auction. Can this comic get a 1.0? It is complete. Your thoughts and comments as always are greatly appreciated! 

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss6.jpg

ss7.jpg

ss8.jpg

ss9.jpg

I have no personal experience with this level of damage and the cumulative defects are not clearly delineated in the CGC guide, but as long as all the parts of the book are present and there are no pieces missing, I'd say 1.0 is where this lands. If there was staining too, that might dip the grade to 0.5, but all I see is heavy tanning/oxidation.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:19 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I see a CGC 1.0 recently sold for $303 on an eBay auction.

Let's look at this logic for a moment ......

Exclude the completely undisciplined winning bidder (who almost certainly will not be in the market for another 1.0 copy).  What would have been the winning bid at your cited auction?  Only $150, right?  And that would be for a decent looking CGC 1.0 cr-ow copy.  As harsh as this may sound, I would be shocked if a CGC-certified 1.0 Brittle specimen brought more than $100 at auction.  Sorry.  :foryou:

On 1/31/2023 at 12:11 PM, grendelbo said:

that was my first instinct, so I'm either being educated or misled by the CGC Guidebook ??? Their description is somewhat  vague for 0.5, but sounds like you're dealing with something that's borderline trash (big parts missing, or damage that make it look less like a comic). Of course, the samples of 0.5s in the book are relatively attractive considering the grade. I probably didn't need a photo to know what one of those top 1/2 of the cover cut off by distributors looked like hm