• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stories of the one that got away...
3 3

66 posts in this topic

Back in 1989, a local LCS owner offered me a white-paged, NM copy of Batman #11, but he wanted a significant percentage over guide for it—maybe double guide. I'm not positive, but I think guide was $350 and he wanted $700, or something like that. Back then I was very reluctant to pay over guide for anything, so I passed on a number of nice books for the same reason, but that one really stands out.

So does the Mile High copy of Batman 41, which I was offered for $300 at a con in 1988. I probably would have bought that one if I hadn't already purchased a high-grade copy of the same issue the same day. My copy looked just about as nice in the Mylar sleeve, but the dealer pulled out both books and pointed out the difference in page quality. 'Nuff said. If only I had stopped by that dealer's table first, I would have purchased my first Mile High that day.

Edited by jimbo_7071

I remember when Chuck brought the collection to the Casual Con in Buena Park, CA for the first time. People were shocked that he was asking double or tripple Guide for them. But we all had to agree that these books redefined what the term “mint” really ment.

I bought all the censorship books he had. As well as a bunch of Avon, LB Cole and PCH. Most of the action was in the “men in tights” boxes so I pretty much had my pick of the other stuff.

If I knew then, what I know now… It really wouldn’t have mattered because I had no money anyway. 

On 2/12/2023 at 8:17 AM, Robot Man said:

If I knew then, what I know now… It really wouldn’t have mattered because I had no money anyway. 

And now we do know, and the prices are again relatively astronomical.  Ain't nothin' changed.  :wink:

On 2/7/2023 at 10:44 AM, adamstrange said:

I could have bought it, but then I would have owned an Aquaman comic.  And there are some things even I won't do for money.

Hey at least I'm pretty up-front in disclosing my business...something we Golden Ager's don't like to do.  And all comic book collectors are very biased...we all admit that, right lol?

And I really do try to give good advice to newbies and to everyone.

That being said...I was actually referring to Whiz Comics #2(#1) CGC 6.0.  There was talk about it on here in 2011 before & after it sold.  Anyone on here could have bought it for $30K.  But it was entered into auction on ComicConnect (only 10% fee) and sold for $176K.

Years ago, a next-door neighbor I had close ties with showed me his WW2 memorabilia collection. He was huge into that stuff. Guns, propaganda posters, medals, knives, ammo, you name it he had it. He wasn't big into comic books, but he had a few with patriotic covers. I remember a Spy Smasher and a Captain Marvel, and I'm blanking on the rest. He had them for sale at the time and I'm sure we could have cut a favorable deal, but I wasn't at all interested in comic books at the time, and I had no idea that there are comics other than Detective #27, Action #1, and Batman #1 that have value. Neighbor eventually sold them and that was the end of that.