• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stories of the one that got away...
3 3

66 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2023 at 2:06 PM, Robot Man said:

Stories of the books or collections you had a shot at or ones that were taken away from you...

One of my saddest...

Back in the late 1960's, I went with my little brother over to one of his friend's house. His friend was moving and told me there was a very large trunk of comics in the basement that belonged to his older brother that was away in college. We went down to the basement and opened the trunk. There were hundreds of old comics in it. I grabbed a handful and looked at them. They appeared to be from the very early '50's to the early '60's. Been a long time but I do remember seeing some single digit Spiderman and FF4s. There was also a Jimmy Olsen #1 and a Frazetta Famous Funnies in just a few hands full. The rest are a blur. He was about to give them to me but decided to ask his brother first who was long past "comic book age". His brother told him no that comics were "worth money". I told him I would gladly pay him well for them. But he refused my offer.

I have always wondered what all was in that trunk and what happened to them...

How about the mother who thru the kids comics out when he went off to college :cry:

Oh yeah I got two good ones that still burn me, well one more than the other because I didn't really have the money for the first lol.

1) One of my past local shops, went out of business years ago once got a high-grade collection in of raw silver keys. I managed to get the DD1 which came back a 9.4, so can't complain too much haha. But the shop also got an X-Men 1 they were asking $25K for. I knew it was a stupid deal, looked to be at least a 9.0, which at the time a CGC 9.0 was worth around $40K-$50K. Found out later the person who bought it got a CGC 9.2, and from what I was apparently told, did not have it pressed. So a bummer I couldn't get that bad boy, but once again I didn't have $25K at my disposal regardless.

2) This one hurt BAD because I did have the money, but didn't act because I was worried it might have resto and was too good to be true. A shop a few hours from me in San Diego got a huge golden age collection in 4-5 years or so ago. One of the books in particular was an Action Comics #12 they were asking about $9K for. It looked to be a solid mid-grade copy, but no resto was labeled, hence the reason the price seemed too good to be true. Considering I noticed a CGC 2.5 had sold for around $6K-$7K sometime before. I guess even if there was resto though I should have still acted. So anyway, I called them to inquire and was close to purchasing, but ultimately they got soo many calls on it, they decided to send it to get graded themselves. They ended up using the other grading company, and it came back a blue label 7.5 :cry:. At the time, a highest graded copy! I believe a CGC 8.5 was graded sometime after to become the newly highest graded. But still, to have gotten an Action 12 in 7.5 for less than $10K would have been INSANE!!!

Edited by LDarkseid1

I can relate to a few dillies myself, but two that always stick in my craw;

I had a stack of coverless PCH books that I loaned to a friend back about 1961, who promised to return them.  Never happened.

The other was in the mid-70's, where I had ordered some PCH from a dealer, including a VG copy of the 25 cent Voodoo annual, for their listed price of $42.  They got back to me and said that the price was in error,  and it was actually $48.  Well, I was damned if I was gonna get ripped off, so declined it.  You wanna talk about kicking yourself in the over the years, LOL...

Too many to mention.  And I know for a fact that everyone on this board...long-timers over the last well even only since 2011...I was involved in a situation where everyone here was wrong.  Everyone here could have bought a comic for $30K and sold it 2 months later for 6X that.

I remember when AF 15's in 8.0 were going for $15K...and one appeared on eBay for $10K...I tried to get the $ together but I didn't.

I remember telling my mom that she should trust me and buy an Action 1 5.0 for $300K...asking price that can be talked down.

I was the high internet bidder (about $35K) for the MPFW #1 Pay Copy...I thought I had it...but a live bidder got it for $43K.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, fifties said:

I can relate to a few dillies myself, but two that always stick in my craw;

I had a stack of coverless PCH books that I loaned to a friend back about 1961, who promised to return them.  Never happened.

The other was in the mid-70's, where I had ordered some PCH from a dealer, including a VG copy of the 25 cent Voodoo annual, for their listed price of $42.  They got back to me and said that the price was in error,  and it was actually $48.  Well, I was damned if I was gonna get ripped off, so declined it.  You wanna talk about kicking yourself in the over the years, LOL...

That Voodoo Annual is a sad story. Such a classic book. I got my first copy from Hi De Ho comics in Santa Monica many years ago for  $35. Low grade and probably a little less than guide. I’ve upgraded a few times. I sure wouldn’t pay what it goes for today. 

On 2/2/2023 at 3:17 PM, ChillMan said:

Too many to mention.  And I know for a fact that everyone on this board...long-timers over the last well even only since 2011...I was involved in a situation where everyone here was wrong.  Everyone here could have bought a comic for $30K and sold it 2 months later for 6X that.

I remember when AF 15's in 8.0 were going for $15K...and one appeared on eBay for $10K...I tried to get the $ together but I didn't.

I remember telling my mom that she should trust me and buy an Action 1 5.0 for $300K...asking price that can be talked down.

I was the high internet bidder (about $35K) for the MPFW #1 Pay Copy...I thought I had it...but a live bidder got it for $43K.

Awesome book, wish you got it!

F240362A-11F9-44F5-879E-1792C8B7F1CE.jpeg

3933DDA5-5F4D-47AE-91F7-B4D629E6AB81.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

One that's not a big deal and one that's kind of funny.

1)  When I was probably 13, I told the guy who owned one of the LCS's I patronized that I was interested in getting "older" comics (I don't think that's the word I used, but what I meant was "first 10 issues of Silver Age Marvel's I collected."  A couple of weeks later, he called to tell me he had an FF #10.  I talked my mom into driving me over there, and it was a remaindered copy and he wanted (I believe) $10 for it.  Now, at that time, I didn't realize why a comic looked like that.  I declined it because while I wasn't enough of a stickler on quality of a book, that was apparently a bridge too far.  Money wasn't the problem (even though $10 at the time would have been the most expensive book I'd purchased).

2) A couple of years ago, I went to an estate sale that had listed comics in their offerings.  Got there plenty early and was 3rd or 4th in line.  The house was on a hill and was like 3 stories, with the garage on the street and then a stairway down the side of the house to where you went inside for the sale.  As I entered I asked, as I've learned to do, one of the women working the sale - an older woman - if she could point me toward the comic books.  "Oh, yes, follow me" she said and off we went to an area with some bookshelves just off the room where I met her.  When she didn't find them in that room, she led me to a room next to it and announced as we entered, "We're looking for the comic books!" to the room at large.  To which a young man (who was probably 20th in line) held up a fistful of books and said, "I have them!"  I turned a withering stare on the woman and walked straight out of the house, got in my car and never returned!  It might be a good thing I don't know what was in that stack.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, Electron said:

I remember all those fantastic early DC's from that collection. I was actually one of the guys who called on the Action 12. Unfortunately they'd removed it from the sale at that point and ultimately grade it, so I wasn't able to purchase it either.  I was heartbroken when it came back a 7.5 as it was now out of my budget. I don't remember exactly what So-Cal graded it, but it was much lower than 7.5! Guess it was a swing and a miss on that one for both of us! On the bright side, I was able to snag a nice consolation prize with this little gem from the collection. 

IMG_1603_zpsspl0xyvg.jpg

Oh yeah, you made out just fine! lol

I believe they had it in the 5.0-6.0 range as I recall.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:53 PM, Electron said:

Thanks! :bigsmile:

5.0 sounds familiar...

Were you able to purchase anything from the collection? 

Nope unfortunately. Most of the stuff I was interested in had already been bought, and missed out as you did on the 12.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:40 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Nope unfortunately. Most of the stuff I was interested in had already been bought, and missed out as you did on the 12.

I hear you. The good books from the collection went pretty fast. Easily one of the coolest collections I’ve seen show up at a shop. Most of that kind of stuff goes to auction these days it seems.

In the early - mid 1970s I attended my first comic convention in Portland,Oregon. There was a guy selling a copy Action #1 for 70.00 to make rent.  Problem was,it was missing about 90% of the front cover. When I said something along the lines of” the cover is torn,not really interested” ,he seemed pretty chagrined about offering such a damaged copy.I think he may have heard the same comment from other attendee’s! When I think about what individual pages are going for now…

On 2/2/2023 at 7:44 PM, Electron said:

I remember all those fantastic early DC's from that collection. I was actually one of the guys who called on the Action 12. Unfortunately they'd removed it from the sale at that point and ultimately grade it, so I wasn't able to purchase it either.  I was heartbroken when it came back a 7.5 as it was now out of my budget. I don't remember exactly what So-Cal graded it, but it was much lower than 7.5! Guess it was a swing and a miss on that one for both of us! On the bright side, I was able to snag a nice consolation prize with this little gem from the collection. 

IMG_1603_zpsspl0xyvg.jpg

That one sure is a beauty Russell!!! Even more beautiful in hand!!! SO much better out of the slab!!!  :applause:

On the phone with an antique type shop who had Archie 1-10. Low to mid grade according to him. Late 90's early 2000. Wanted a grand. I was such a tightwad that I told him I'll sleep on it and call him the next day. I waited two days and they were gone. Still kicking myself.

A few years later a Pep 22 vg+ for $2500.00. Same thing happened. I began sensing a pattern.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, Electron said:

IMG_1603_zpsspl0xyvg.jpg

I had a nice copy of Action 2 and have always wanted one back still can't find one.image.thumb.jpeg.e3539ab3ee92b89442fe08c6de825250.jpeg

Edited by woowoo