• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fao bollocks

122 posts in this topic

jungle drum n' bass is where it's at, fellas

My arse.

Your arse is where it's at?

Well, certainly moreso than 'jungle drum n' bass'..... yeahok.gif

At least it plays better tunes....

damn, i don't recall craaping over your choice in music. governor.

Sorry...you should have pointed out that that was a 'choice in music'... poke2.gif

Apologies. sorry.gif

Carry on.

jungle drum n' bass is where it's at, fellas

My arse.

Your arse is where it's at?

Well, certainly moreso than 'jungle drum n' bass'..... yeahok.gif

At least it plays better tunes....

damn, i don't recall craaping over your choice in music. governor.

Sorry...you should have pointed out that that was a 'choice in music'... poke2.gif

Apologies. sorry.gif

Carry on.

figured it was obvious on the face of it.

you're still okay in my book, even if you overgrade like a French ice skating judge

flowerred.gif

figured it was obvious on the face of it.

you're still okay in my book, even if you overgrade like a French ice skating judge

Speaking of which...where's your ratings for the grading poll???

Everyone else's to me, my own to RedHook...if you so desire, obviously. grin.gif

i've bought books from you and nochips. both exemplary, if you're a bit overpriced... poke2.gif is doug sulipa on the boards?

confused-smiley-013.gif

And Avalon sucked. That was waaaay past their heyday. poke2.gif

mad.gif I liked Avalon.

Yeah, only cause chicks dig it...and you wanted to 'relate'. poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif You saw right through me. In fact, my wife does love the album.

mad.gif I liked Avalon.

Bete Noire is better. note to Flaming_Hertforshire; this is only my personal opinion

mad.gif I liked Avalon.

Bete Noire is better. note to Flaming_Hertforshire; this is only my personal opinion

I'm a big fan of Roxy Music's first four albums, especially the first two. I'd say For Your Pleasure is their best. Avalon had its' moments, but you could tell that whatever Eno's influence had been on the band had long since evaporated.

I was referring more to post-punk bands such as Joy Division, The Bunnymen, Gang Of Four, Sisters Of Mercy, right through to the Britpop bands like Suede, Blur, Pulp, Oasis, etc.

I like all of these bands... cloud9.gif

Jim

I was there, and I remember thinking how crappe pop and rock music generally was in 1975. Glam was gone by then, and all that there was were Roxy, Bowie and Lou Reed.

thumbsup2.gif Hope you'll be at SD this year, sounds like we could discuss music into the wee hours! The thing that really struck me at the time was how bands seemed to be competing to produce the fewest songs on an album, with Yes probably being the worst culprits, but Rush with "2112" filling an entire LP side and of course Led Zeppelin filling an entire side of Song Remains the Same with "Dazed and Confused".

Interesting you mention Roxy Music. The one person who always gets overlooked in all of this is Brian Eno, post Roxy. I first heard "Baby's on Fire" in 1980 or so, and was floored to learn it had been produced back in 1973. The guy was so far ahead of everyone else, and of course was incredibly influential on Bowie too.

Tim, I've agreed with absolutely everything you've written in this thread.

Oct is certainly welcome to his opinion. You have to understand that at a time when people were being lulled to sleep by "Hotel California", ....along comes this really SCARY band of roughians.........(I personally LIKE the music - it's like an amplified Sherman Tank gone out of control and headed right for you!) .....you have to realize the whole PUNK thing was totally new at the time and really turned people's worlds upside down...the mainstream was THREATENED by this band. What you have now is a shopping mall co-opted version of punk that has none of the raw culture-detonating core that the Pistols presented.

Red

If we're going to go back a bit, we also need to tip the hat to the MC5, New York Dolls and the Pink Fairies, don't you think? confused-smiley-013.gif

No arguments there, FT. My avatar (for a long period) was the Kick Out The Jams cover.

Nice call on the Pink Fairies - great psych-metal band...

If we're going to go back a bit, we also need to tip the hat to the MC5, New York Dolls and the Pink Fairies, don't you think? confused-smiley-013.gif

No arguments there, FT. My avatar (for a long period) was the Kick Out The Jams cover.

Nice call on the Pink Fairies - great psych-metal band...

Picked up Never Never Land and Kings Of Oblivion recently. Had them both when I was a kid, but basically played them to death.

I was a big BOC fan when I was younger and a show staple was always 'Kick Out The Jams'....and whilst it wasn't the MC5, the Cult used to nail that sucka! thumbsup2.gif