• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fao bollocks

122 posts in this topic

If we're going to go back a bit, we also need to tip the hat to the MC5, New York Dolls and the Pink Fairies, don't you think? confused-smiley-013.gif

No arguments there, FT. My avatar (for a long period) was the Kick Out The Jams cover.

Nice call on the Pink Fairies - great psych-metal band...

Picked up Never Never Land and Kings Of Oblivion recently. Had them both when I was a kid, but basically played them to death.

I was a big BOC fan when I was younger and a show staple was always 'Kick Out The Jams'....and whilst it wasn't the MC5, the Cult used to nail that sucka! thumbsup2.gif

so...Dreamtime, Love, or Electric? Or Southern Death Cult?

confused-smiley-013.gif

If we're going to go back a bit, we also need to tip the hat to the MC5, New York Dolls and the Pink Fairies, don't you think? confused-smiley-013.gif

No arguments there, FT. My avatar (for a long period) was the Kick Out The Jams cover.

Picked up Never Never Land and Kings Of Oblivion recently. Had them both when I was a kid, but basically played them to death.

I was a big BOC fan when I was younger and a show staple was always 'Kick Out The Jams'....and whilst it wasn't the MC5, the Cult used to nail that sucka! thumbsup2.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

None of those...he's talking about Blue Oyster Cult...

confused-smiley-013.gif

tonofbricks.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

tonofbricks.gif

The Cult had their moments too, though... headbang.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

tonofbricks.gif

The Cult had their moments too, though... headbang.gif

flowerred.gif

Dreamtime cloud9.gif

Tim, I've agreed with absolutely everything you've written in this thread.

893whatthe.gif I gotta frame this somewhere... grin.gif

Of course this thread has nothing to do with collecting..... poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

Definitely agree that acknowledgments of Iggy, MC5 and the Dolls are in order. To be honest, I've never heard of the Pink Fairies.

In the case of Iggy and MC5, they were just too far ahead of their time. They came around when everyone else was still singing about putting flowers in your hair, and rock was still fresh and ever changing. The bloat that punk was a reaction to had not yet set in.

If it weren't for old scholl punk rock we wouldn't have what we have today.

Like what? New school punk rock? confused.gif

Not not like new age punk like heavy metal and hard rock new age punk is nothing like old school shame on you for even comparing the two

Shame on me? Right. No modern punk band is even remotely like the stuff from the mid-70s. Can you even name a modern punk band that isn't on MTV? To say that modern and old school punk are nothing alike just shows how woefully ignorant of the genre you must be. Listen to The Ramones, then listen to Screeching Weasel. Listen to Naked Raygun, then listen to Alkaline Trio. Listen to The Clash, then listen to Operation Ivy and Rancid. Hell, listen to virtually any 70s punk band, then listen to Green Day. Still think they are nothing alike?

Also, heavy metal started with Black Sabbath, which was formed a decade before punk broke. As for hard rock, is that a joke? You seriously think we wouldn't have hard rock if not for punk? Hard rock has its roots in Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Who, Black Sabbath and AC/DC to name just a few....all of which came before punk.

From a personal view, US rock in general has been pushed aside in favor of Hip-Hop/Rap. There are some very good rock being produced today but can't get the airplay or exposure because they're squeezed out by the Kanyes of the music world.

That why I think the British music scene is currently much better than the US. Brits tend to like a variety of music and don't really get cornered into one genre or the other. Look at the Glastenbury music fest broadcast every year on BBC. No other venue provides a better cross-section of musical styles than this event. And usually it's heavily rock oriented. I'm going to miss watching it...

Jim

From a personal view, US rock in general has been pushed aside in favor of Hip-Hop/Rap. There are some very good rock being produced today but can't get the airplay or exposure because they're squeezed out by the Kanyes of the music world.

That why I think the British music scene is currently much better than the US. Brits tend to like a variety of music and don't really get cornered into one genre or the other. Look at the Glastenbury music fest broadcast every year on BBC. No other venue provides a better cross-section of musical styles than this event. And usually it's heavily rock oriented. I'm going to miss watching it...

Jim

Are you moving to a country that doesn't get BBC channels?

I'd say that for a period (1989 - late 90s) British music was completely dominated by house/techno/jungle/drum 'n' bass/garage etc.

Britpop, around 1994, saw the re-emergence of bands who were both good as well as popular, after the abysmal dreck of 1991/1992 (EMF, Jesus Jones, etc.) but dance music was still far more widespread. Not that all of it was bad, by any means.

It's been in the last 4/5 years that dance music has declined significantly (except for that vapid, monotonous "R & B" swingbeat crappe, and the usual hip hop stuff). and rock bands have made a comeback, especially in the charts.

But yeah, Glasto and Reading always favored rock (with some dance acts) as well as token muzak garbage (Dido).

Are you moving to a country that doesn't get BBC channels?

Yep...no BBC available here...so I can't watch the new Who either... frown.gif

Britpop, around 1994, saw the re-emergence of bands who were both good as well as popular, after the abysmal dreck of 1991/1992 (EMF, Jesus Jones, etc.) but dance music was still far more widespread. Not that all of it was bad, by any means.

True...but then again, you were at least exposed to the different genres while one dominated. US radio gets pigeon-holed into one and rarely strays...

But yeah, Glasto and Reading always favored rock (with some dance acts) as well as token muzak garbage (Dido).

The thing about Glastenbury is the different types of music you find. Like dance, there's a tent for it. Like new pop, there a stage for it. Like rock, or Britpop, go to the main stage. If you like current music, Glastenbury fits any current popular taste. You won't find that at any US festivals. And that provides diversity and, frankly, I think it fosters better a climate for more innovative music in the future...

Jim

The thing about Glastonbury is the different types of music you find. Like dance, there's a tent for it. Like new pop, there a stage for it. Like rock, or Britpop, go to the main stage. If you like current music, Glastonbury fits any current popular taste. You won't find that at any US festivals. And that provides diversity and, frankly, I think it fosters better a climate for more innovative music in the future.

Very true - there is so much to see at Glasto that it's impossible to see even half the attractions or bands at that event, in three days. And as for diversity, you have to hand it to Michael Eavis - he's been as important as John Peel to British music over the last three decades (especially since the late '80s).

However you won't be missing Glasto next year, FWIW. Eavis has deemed 2006 to be a rest year, as he does once every five or six years (or thereabouts). So no Glastonbury for 2006.