• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Winter Edition (#5) Round 4
12 12

145 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2023 at 1:29 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 2/9/2023 at 10:50 AM, 01TheDude said:

half arsed attempt at grading completed and submitted

If I gave it more than 5 minutes of actual interest that seems heavy. 

I did not even expand any images - truly given up on this form of contest.

I miss the old ones where we had more prizes donated by members and not 3 winners who get something from CGC.

something about it seems so sterile and lacking in the fun side-- the things being offered were interesting and entertaining.

I tried harder then imo

A lot of effort goes into running these contests Dude, and CGC stump up $850 four times a year to show how they value the forum and it's members. Even Matt Nelson gets involved, picking books and helping with the spreadsheets. The member run contests were great, especially the donation threads, but Mike has a heavy workload and just can't manage the tracking and distribution of a prize thread too. As he says, anyone could volunteer to run one. I considered it, but being in the UK would make it difficult as I'm asleep when most participants are just getting going.

There's nothing stopping anyone running their own contests, and a few members have. They're all enjoyable in my opinion. The alternative is nothing, so better to be supportive I think. 

I have nothing but great appreciation for Mike's efforts and CGC's support and contributions to these contests.  To select and image these books, post the threads, email all the participants, deal with all the grading pms and tabulate the results, this is a ton of work.  Thanks guys. 

I loved all of the boardie run grading contests but I suspect the amount of work involved and the cost to grade the large number of books required to run a grading contest is the reason we haven't seen any in a while.  And I ran a few grading contest prize threads, it's a lot of work.

On 2/10/2023 at 4:06 PM, thehumantorch said:

I have nothing but great appreciation for Mike's efforts and CGC's support and contributions to these contests.  To select and image these books, post the threads, email all the participants, deal with all the grading pms and tabulate the results, this is a ton of work.  Thanks guys. 

I loved all of the boardie run grading contests but I suspect the amount of work involved and the cost to grade the large number of books required to run a grading contest is the reason we haven't seen any in a while.  And I ran a few grading contest prize threads, it's a lot of work.

I think it's a lot more fun not having to figure out what to donate, where to mail it, is it too heavy for Canada, etc.  It's nice to have an activity where you can talk about comics (or curse about grades) without having to do additional work.

It's like the difference between having to set up and clean all the rides at an amusement park, or just going as a guest.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, skypinkblu said:

I think it's a lot more fun not having to figure out what to donate, where to mail it, is it too heavy for Canada, etc.  It's nice to have an activity where you can talk about comics (or curse about grades) without having to do additional work.

It's like the difference between having to set up and clean all the rides at an amusement park, or just going as a guest.

It's never too heavy for Canada! :sumo:

• Administrator
On 2/10/2023 at 5:52 PM, JollyComics said:
On 2/10/2023 at 12:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

I'm missing over 40 grades.  Keep in mind the round closed tomorrow (Saturday) night.

Will the results be finalized on Monday because it’s on the weekend?

I have not discussed this yet with management.  I will send a text Saturday night to see if the results will be available Sunday or Monday.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:41 PM, skypinkblu said:

I do miss the community aspect of boardie run grading contests and the various events when we raised money to help boardies in need.  Getting together to help others or run contests and the kind contributions needed was our finest hour and a wonderful way to build community.  I'd imagine that's what 01TheDude misses as do I.  But I do appreciate that CGC and Mike in particular are running these contests.

• Administrator
  • Administrator