• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WonderCon 2023 3-24/3-26

48 posts in this topic

I went on Saturday. Signs directed me to park at GardenWalk but when I walked to the convention center from there it looked like people were still able to park onsite. I was there when the doors opened and stayed late into the evening. 

I was told by someone working there that all the passes were sold but it didn't seem exceptionally crowded. It is a huge space, though, so I guess you don't get the crowd congestion that you do at SDCC. The Gold & Silver Pavilion continues to thin out. I think Terry O'Neill and Brian Peets are not coming back to WC or SDCC. It looked like Graham Crackers had set up without Jamie, Metropolis without Vinnie, and I never saw Harley either. I was able to do my box-diving in a few hours. There were comics I would like to have but not for the prices I saw. I admired the OA on the walls but didn't buy any of it.

I bought three science-fiction digests from some stacks that were $3 apiece, and the Guidebook to Comics Fandom (1965). I also picked up a couple of art books from Stuart Ng. I got to talk to a few people I hadn't seen in awhile and walked around the rest of the exhibit hall just looking at stuff but I was pretty much done shopping by mid-afternoon, so the remainder of my time I spent in panels. I attended panels on:

CGC grading

Fear The Walking Dead (final season)

Cartoon Voices (always a hoot)

the 70th anniversary of 3-D movies and comics (we were given 3-D glasses for watching the clips)

the Harvey Comics artwork of Warren Kremer

and I saw contestants #15-31 of the Masquerade (missed the first half because of the Warren Kremer panel).

Not an outstanding day for buying (for me) but I had a good time anyway.

I went Friday and Saturday.  On Friday, I was able to park at the Convention Center at 11:15 AM.  Very easy, as the crowds were not too heavy.  The many lunch trucks are always a nice feature and again, the crowds were manageable.  I waited about 6 minutes for my food order.

The comic dealers were lighter than last year, but there seems to be multiple conventions competing against each other.  Harley left late on Friday to catch a flight to New York to attend Carbo's convention.  Just the thought of him putting in a full day at the con and then catching a coast to coast flight made me tired.  I don't know how he does it.  Maybe he's part machine.

HighGradeComics was there, in addition to Jamie Graham (although I did not see him), Metro, Red Hood (from Nevada) and a few other dealers.  Even though dealer attendance was down, there was no shortage of quality books.  I focused on nicer books priced cheaply.  If you had some patience and were thorough, they were there.  You just had to look for them.  I had to have that mentality, as my budget at the moment is tight.  I had fun looking!

On Saturday, I had the same experience with the Convention Center parking.  I was directed to GardenWalk, but it was a nice leisurely walk to the Con, so no biggie, right?  However, when I got to the Convention Center, there were letting people park at the Convention Center parking lot!  It was one of the moments were I chose to shrug my shoulders and just accept it. 

The crowds were much heavier.  I had lunch before noon, but the lunch truck area was super busy.  I heard that wait times increased to over 45 minutes at 1 PM.  Ouch.  I found a couple of nice pedigree books priced in the 500 to 600 dollar range.  But unfortunately, they were out of my price range at the moment.

I had some long conversations with several boardies.  There was one collector who I had not seen in several years.  It felt like a reunion.  I also had a long conversation with Bob Storms.  That was fun.  My wife and I also had dinner with a couple of other boardies.  It is so nice to catch up with everyone, and that is becoming the highlight of any convention I attend.  I also like hearing how a boardie bought a grail or scored an auction win.  I guess I like living vicariously through others.

WonderCon is not the back issue bonanza from several years ago, but it was fun.  I plan to attend next year.  My biggest regret is that I did not attend any panels.  I hope to rectify that at San Diego.  I also hope that conventions do not compete against each other, but that might be asking for too much.

See you guys at Torpedo Con!

Edited by Bumble Kitty

Thanks for the report. Similar to my experience. My feeling is it is a less expensive, less crowded and less hassle show than SDCC which I no longer attend.

The dealers you mentioned are fine dealers but generally don’t bring the stuff I look for especially at prices I can realistically pay. I get it. Traveling long distance can really matter what you bring. Metro (basically displaying auction books), Red Hood and Bob Storms seemed REAL slow. Torpedo, well, usually too high for me and I didn’t see John. Had an uncomfortable experience with his head guy. I hope these guys did OK. Friday is the real money maker for most dealers but most buyers were just looking for that one big book. If they didn’t find it, they spent no money. 

I spent most of my money with Steve at Big Wow, and several smaller dealers. Glad to see them still there and I tried to spread a little money around with them to encourage them to come back. Bought a few cool books from the hardest working and one of the best dealers in the business, Harley. I don’t know how he does it. Funny thing. I went to Graham Crackers to see my pal Jamie and he wasn’t there. I asked and one of the guys said he was “probably by his pool”…:roflmao:

Yeah, I wished I went to some panels as well. The food trucks were a great touch too. Best part was talking to other boardies, my fellow collectors and old friends. And I took my two young grandaughters on Sat. Their first con. They love the Disney stuff and the cosplay. Was fun to observe the show through the wild eyes of little kids! 

Yeah, already putting money aside for the Torpedo show. Sure hope it happens this year. 

@jbud73 great report, thanks for that! as you mentioned hearing, terry's show was almost 2 months prior to wonder con and it absolutely obviates the need for this show. so many good dealers were at that show. i spent 1k to come in for that one and it was basically worth it. thats the show to plan a trip around, on the west coast.

as you also mentioned, so many dealers at cons now, including some of my favorite guys, still have 2021 pricing. of course sales will be slow if you're pretending that prices are still at all time highs. i saw it at terrys show and i've seen it at many others over the years. during down markets, those dealers who are willing to adjust pricing dynamically with the market are the ones that will do some business, even when things are slow. 

Yeah, CalCon was Awsome for buying vintage books. Well worth a short winter vacation.

I can’t say much about prices as I was set up. Found a few goodies at setup.

Did you come by my table? I had about 20 boxes of GA/SA/BA. Not much in the way of big pretty, high grade keys, but a lot of affordable, unusual books. I even had a box of pulps that I sold most of and even some old girly mags and BLBs (and actually sold quite a few). Even a cool vintage spinner rack but it sold right away. One of my best shows ever.

By the way, I just viewed the dealer’s list for C2E2 and MegaCon. Real sparce as well. WonderCon looked better…