• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not knowing the value of the card
1 1

5 posts in this topic

First time grading my trading cards and they are certain amount of cards that I have no idea what the value is.  On the form to send my cards to get graded not knowing the value what should I put in that box and if you guys know how much is worth would it effect the price of getting the card graded. 

• Administrator

Hello @Rodimus Prime, thank you for contacting CGC Trading Cards. The value we ask for is an insurance value, a number you would feel comfortable with in terms of a replacement value if your card was lost or damaged while with us. We encourage you to be conservative as we do not reimburse you if you over-value your card. If your card was grossly under-valued, we reserve the right to bump it to the appropriate tier. 

Good resources for determining the value of your cards are completed eBay auctions and the posted prices of large card dealers. CGC Trading Cards does not assign values to any cards. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

On 2/12/2023 at 9:40 AM, KaileeS CS said:

Hello @Rodimus Prime, thank you for contacting CGC Trading Cards. The value we ask for is an insurance value, a number you would feel comfortable with in terms of a replacement value if your card was lost or damaged while with us. We encourage you to be conservative as we do not reimburse you if you over-value your card. If your card was grossly under-valued, we reserve the right to bump it to the appropriate tier. 

Good resources for determining the value of your cards are completed eBay auctions and the posted prices of large card dealers. CGC Trading Cards does not assign values to any cards. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

"If your card was grossly under-valued, we reserve the right to bump it to the appropriate tier."

"CGC Trading Cards does not assign values to any cards."

Lol 🙃🤔

I AGREE WITH THIS! I just graded my 3 cards for the first time.

One card got two Sub grades of 10! The other two were conveniently a 8.5 sub grade....They gave it an 8.5 overall grade.  When looking at the population report for 9's you would be lucky to find one with one sub grade of 10...

If this card got an overall grade of  9.5 or better the value could be well over a thousand. I paid for the ST service and value my cards based only on what they were worth pre-graded well under $200. 

I suspect per the right to free thought and free speech, that CGC get's slanted when you devalue your card and don't pay for the proper service that they can and per their own policy devalue the tier of that card because you didn't pay for the proper service. Two Sub grades of 10's, freshly pulled in pristine condition. 

Edited by AbhEmpire

• Administrator

Hi @AbhEmpire, we will never lower the grading tier of a card (even if it's valued less than what you submitted it for) and we do not grade cards "differently" based on the grading tier they were submitted under. 

To answer your question about the grade your card received in your first paragraph, CGC Trading Cards has developed a proprietary algorithm to determine a card’s final grade based on its sub-grades. While we can’t explain how we arrived at the grade and sub-grades for a specific card, we can share some guidelines.

First, it is important to note that the final grade is not simply an average of the sub-grades. Rather, it is based on numerous rules built into CGC Trading cards' proprietary systems and grading process. For example, if the two lowest sub-grades are the same, then that is the final grade for the card. I suspect this might be the case in your card's situation.

For more info on the CGC Trading Cards' grading scale, including detailed explanations for each grade and sub-grade, visit here. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!