• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Winter Edition (#5) Round 4 Results
4 4

39 posts in this topic

Congrats to the top 4! I feel good about where I ended up. I guess that's a top 10 finish with ties? I couldn't overcome the 8 in the first round but was able to cobble together 3 other good rounds.

Round 1: 8
Round 2: 2
Round 3: 5
Round 4: 4

On 2/12/2023 at 5:20 PM, grendelbo said:

CGC's proprietary (and still unpublished) grading rubric necessarily allows for judgment, and different graders may interpret/apply a given standard differently.  

I mean, yea, but the fact is it's the same names that keep showing up at the top of the list each contest.

Withering Wind, Squirrel Guy, The General.

They're nailing it.

• Administrator
On 2/13/2023 at 7:53 AM, CGC Mike said:

Withering Wind  5.0  7.5

silverseeker  4.5  8.0

We have a tie, so we will determine the winner through the final rankings.  Please check to see if I made any mistakes.

Withering Wind    

Bullseyes: 9

Books off by 1 grade: 8

Books off by 2 grades:  3 

silverseeker  

Bullseyes:  9

Books off by 1 grade:  8

Books off by 2 grades  3

First book in order to get a bullseye:  silverseeker

Congratulations to @silverseeker

TITLE Batman #2 Mystery in Space #53 Spidey #9 Blackthorne #75 Transformers #1 Shock Suspenstories #9 Sub-Mariner #36 Wonder Woman #159 Strange Tales #180 Showcase #94 Hit Comics #1 Showcase #20 Doctor Strange #169 New Gods #11 Spidey #301 Startling #40 Strange Confessions #1 Fantastic Four #50 Batman #210 Captain Marvel #31  
  FINAL GRADE 3.0 6.5 3.0 8.0 9.0 5.0 2.0 4.5 7.5 5.5 5.5 4.5 5.0 8.5 9.2 3.0 5.0 7.0 5.0 9.4  

SCORE GRADER BOOK 1 BOOK 2 BOOK 3 BOOK 4 BOOK 5 BOOK 6 BOOK 7 BOOK 8 BOOK 9 BOOK 10 BOOK 11 BOOK 12 BOOK 13 BOOK 14 BOOK 15 BOOK 16 BOOK 17 BOOK 18 BOOK 19 BOOK 20  

14 Withering Wind 2.0 6.0 2.5 8.5 9.0 5.0 2.0 5.0 7.0 4.5 4.5 4.5 5.0 8.5 9.0 2.5 5.5 7.0 5.0 9.4  
14 silverseeker 2.5 6.5 3.0 8.0 8.5 4.5 2.0 5.5 8.0 4.5 5.5 4.5 5.0 9.2 9.4 2.5 5.5 7.5 5.0 9.4  

On 2/13/2023 at 4:29 AM, sledgehammer said:

I mean, yea, but the fact is it's the same names that keep showing up at the top of the list each contest.  Withering Wind, Squirrel Guy, The General.  They're nailing it.

Ed's original thesis (restated by @grendelbo above) was not that CGC has no condition grading standards, but that the dividing line between adjacent grades is necessarily "fuzzy":

"CGC's proprietary (and still unpublished) grading rubric necessarily allows for judgment, and different graders may interpret/apply a given standard differently.  Blemishes/defects can be overlooked or discounted for any number of reasons.  The bottom line is that a given book may not always receive the same CGC grade if it's submitted several times (although the various grades assigned will almost certainly be within an increment or two of each other)."

I agree that certain contestants/players are definitely "nailing it" ( (worship) ), but they're nailing it with final contest scores of 10~20, not with final scores of 0~3.  The #1-ranked player ("The Winner") had final contest scores of 11, 15, 18, 17, and 11 in Grading Contests #1-5, respectively (and Contest #1 was only a 15-book tourney).  :foryou:

Edited by zzutak

On 2/13/2023 at 7:47 AM, zzutak said:

I agree that certain contestants/players are definitely "nailing it" ( (worship) ), but they're nailing it with final contest scores of 10~20, not with final scores of 0~3.  

Of course.

It's the nature of the beast.

Do you think that when 3 graders looked at a book at CGC years ago, that you can tell me how many times two said the same grade, and maybe the third missed them by 2 grades?

It's not an inconceivable thing to me.

I agree!  (thumbsu  (thumbsu

I can still remember the "good old days" when three individuals independently assigned a grade to each book; and, with a simple/short phone call, you could find out whether a CGC-certified book you were considering acquiring was, for example, a "weak VF" (8.0, 8.0, 7.5), a "solid VF" (8.0, 8.0, 8.0), or a "strong VF" (8.0, 8.0, 8.5).  Good times.  :luhv:

Edited by zzutak

Congratulations to the winners and the losers. Thanks CGC Mike for hosting another ripper of a tourney. 

Hope everyone had fun, and see you next time! 

I consider anyone in this contest who averages about +/- 1ish grade/book to be a very reliable grader. 

Especially considering a couple of the badly-graded specimens in this contest (WW, SC) that the vast vast majority of collectors here graded far different from CGC's grade.

Those who scored very well in the contest and who have done so repeatedly year after year are very much in synch with seeing CGC graded books. Very commendable! 

For those of us who rarely submit or handle CGC slabbed books, it's always a fun experience too! 

Thanks for the contest, and I'm looking forward to the next one! 

Hats off to the winners! Excellent job! No hats for me. I ate it this time. Hat is very firmly ON.

Thanks Mike for all of the work and being so good natured about all of it. I'm sure it's a chore, but you always seem to enjoy it so much.

• Administrator
On 2/13/2023 at 1:04 PM, F For Fake said:

Thanks Mike for all of the work and being so good natured about all of it. I'm sure it's a chore, but you always seem to enjoy it so much.

I really do enjoy doing the grading contests.  I was happy and thankful when they were approved as a "go" with upper management.

PM's coming shortly to

@TC33  First place

@TheGeneral  Second place

@silverseeker third place

Congrats to the winners (and all who took the effort to submit grades for every round) and thanks to CGC for the contest!

If you look at grading as a reflection of the standards and expectations set by the comic-collecting community, which I feel is pretty fairly represented both on the boards and in this contest, you could reasonably say the grades submitted by the contest participants are a more accurate representation of the actual grade of the comics submitted (this is basically a "guess the grade CGC will give the comic" contest). Using that rationale and the excellent info compiled by @zzutakduring the contest, and using the Mode as the "true" grade of each comic, by my count the CGC graders scored 19 points and only hit six bullseyes. Better luck next time, guys!

On 2/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, CGC Mike said:

I really do enjoy doing the grading contests.  I was happy and thankful when they were approved as a "go" with upper management.

PM's coming shortly to

@TC33  First place

@TheGeneral  Second place

@silverseeker third place

Congrats to the three of you. You will now all be encased in carbonite and your brains dissected so that we may develop a thesis on CGC grading.