• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First convention purchase
1 1

45 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2023 at 10:21 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Yep. That's exactly what's happening. But that turns into not brining in much revenue for hours upon hours of prep. I'm starting to see some new dealers at local cons because others are giving up their spots. Somethings gotta give. Either pricing needs to change or the market does. 

When we set up we're leaving key books that have dropped at home.  We're okay with waiting for prices to rebound as I'm sure they will.  

On 2/19/2023 at 1:11 PM, thehumantorch said:

When we set up we're leaving key books that have dropped at home.  We're okay with waiting for prices to rebound as I'm sure they will.  

That makes complete sense to me. Not sure why others don't don't do the same...or just price accordingly. The point of putting up wall books with a price tag that's 30%-60% over FMV is an odd strategy. 

On 2/20/2023 at 4:52 PM, Motor City Rob said:

That makes complete sense to me. Not sure why others don't don't do the same...or just price accordingly. The point of putting up wall books with a price tag that's 30%-60% over FMV is an odd strategy. 

We think it’s harmful to our reputation to have overpriced book for sale at a show.  5%, 10%, 15% maybe as the market will never move if you just price like the last sale but 30% or more higher than recent sales looks bad

On 2/20/2023 at 3:52 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Indeed. It just turns buyers off. If the price is way over FMV, I know I can’t even make a fair offer so I just move on.

As a seller I usually price a book I want say $100. for $125. just to play the “discount game”. Pretty common practice. I have never liked the game. But it’s part of selling collectibles.

If it is a deal or I want it enough, I just pay the sticker. No point in beating up a seller. If we are close, I might offer a little less. If it is way off, I just pass. The dealer has lost a sale and I often just walk past their booth at a future show.

I just try to price fair to begin with. I might take a little less or just stick to my guns. Good stuff always sells. Usually quickly if priced accordingly.

I did a show a few weeks ago. I had 6 long boxes of GA/SA run books, low to mid grade not really high demand that I had picked up for a really good price. I graded and priced them at Guide. I was selling for half off. No further discount. I came home with 2 empty longs and room in the others. The better stuff sold well with very little or no discount. Was happy to see most of them go. 

Finally got the chance to get pics of the books. Overall, the books I got online are better; assigned a grade, fewer spine tics, sharper corners; I didn't get scans of the CoDs and I think they're nicer than any of the books from the con. The first three pics are the books in common, con on the left online on the right. SM 21 $61.50 vs. $16; WMD 3 $16.25 vs $51; MSH 28 $16.25 vs. $48. Without the extra book online, the overall difference in price would have been $30. I feel I did much better online.

Just one experience with one dealer at one con though. Getting the better books online won't dissuade me from going to future shows to buy some books.

Edit: I need to find a way to get some better pics.

20230225_083825 (1).jpg

20230225_083524 (1).jpg

20230225_082631 (1).jpg

20230225_084156 (1).jpg

20230225_084534 (1).jpg

Edited by jas1vans
see above