• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YouTuber kicked out of 2 Comic Shops, Leaves Negative Reviews
1 1

165 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2023 at 7:58 PM, COI said:

You guys do know that "influencers" or whatever get their "influence" by getting attention, right? They benefit from people "hate watching" just as much as from making actual fans. Their incentives are to ratchet up the noise and controversy, not increase the quality of their content. So as cathartic as threads like this might be for some of you, you're just boosting their profiles. Actually ignoring them is how they go away.

Just saying. :baiting:

Not gonna happen. 

As posted earlier in the thread....this guy's not wrong:

59C191FA-BF84-403F-ACCD-5BA71598BDA9.jpeg.dee4e60eaec60d94c9f97df92be88454.jpeg.db5d35fd78a4f663b5e32ce9ffd28270.jpeg

On 2/24/2023 at 2:18 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Like watching paint dry though.....zzz

Agreed. Definitely less obnoxious than StinkyStrap-On, but this guy could have shown his tour, told his story and shared his new-to-him comics in 5 minutes. He managed to stretch it out 5 times longer than that by repeating a lot of same stuff.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, Dave2739 said:

Agreed. Definitely less obnoxious than StinkyStrap-On, but this guy could have shown his tour, told his story and shared his new-to-him comics in 5 minutes. He managed to stretch it out 5 times longer than that by repeating a lot of same stuff.

Yup

Learn to edit 

Make a quality 5-minute video 

Rinse and repeat 

On 2/24/2023 at 3:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yup

Learn to edit 

Make a quality 5-minute video 

Rinse and repeat 

Or, and I can't stress this enough: people could just stop making these videos, and Youtube could just go away forever, and everything would be great?

Fairly well-behaved compared to some of the thugs I’ve encountered over here, especially in a certain Manchester store, going back near enough 20 years ago now. I’d stopped buying from them for a few months, as experiences there had killed my motivation somewhat.  One such was when I passed too close to a customer accidentally and was told that if I did that again he’d punch me out. I mentioned this threat to the sales assistant nearby and was informed that the guy spends a lot with them, and so couldn’t really give a toss if I got my head kicked in by him.  Literally that.  Not the kind of comment that stimulates customer motivation much. 

Apparently, they were getting frustrated with me not buying anything when I went in the store following on from this.  (Actually, not true, one-or-two comics per visit, but expectations were higher.)  The manager was in a very irate mood that morning, a short, weedy little guy compared to me, who exited a storeroom, rushing up to me, facing me down and snorting away, and, as I turned to walk off, he slapped me on the back of the head. The two wage slave lackeys of his at the rear of the room looked horrified, but of course selfishly did nothing.  Being autistic and a bit detached at the best of times, I walked out and left the shop, processed what had been done to me, and the following week sent a Bridge Burning letter to the company’s MD, cutting his narcissistic, arrogant, entitled lieutenant down to size, undermining his sense of superiority, self-importance and indispensability as much as possible.  

I’d never really liked going in the store, finding the original university location very inconvenient, didn’t like their attitude even in the early 80s, and had quickly found alternative sources which suited me better and who I bought from continuously for many years, both at the regular monthly comic marts and in stores more local to me.  Surprising that he never noticed this, far too misguidedly overconfident and a little slow on the uptake.  Occasionally a shop would close down or relocate and there’d be temporary supply problems during which I’d throw him a few scraps, but that’s about it.

I also remember that a few years prior to the above incident, while I was talking with him in the university store, his quite obnoxious wife and business partner came over and kicked my backpack across the floor. He, of course, did nothing other than tacitly enable. A friend was shocked when he heard this…

’What! No-one does that in shops!?’

Well, it’s the kind of bizarre, atypical experience that I’ve encountered all too often.  Of course, I never set foot in there again for years, another mood-killing incident.

Regardless of the fact that we didn’t get along, you still don’t behave in that kind of way in retailing.  Then again, comic shop staff can seem a little anomalous at times, making comments such as ‘You’ll pay our new, higher prices or go and collect something else!’. Occasionally there’s a sense that the enthusiasm of geeks like myself is interpreted as a form of exploitable dependency, and normal retailing and social filters can sometimes vanish from our domain. From the mid-80s, right up until I went back north after university in the early 90s, I only recall buying a couple of Richard Corben graphic novels from them: like I said, scraps.

The manager was the former owner of the store who’d had to sell out to the big chain in the mid 90s implosion. In my letter I said that I found it impossible to care about that financial predicament.  Many other former customers didn’t like the attitude in the place either and had left to graze for their comics elsewhere as well, and similarly, while talking to them in the years following in the other city centre comic stores, they too considered this starved predator to be a bit irrelevant.

The only reason I started going in there again was because some of the other comic geeks I hung out with still shopped there, a tag-along situation. Just poor luck I’d decided to go in by myself for a change that day, stupidly walking into a dark alley and getting mugged.

Sarah, Marvelfangirl, I think it was, had a great description for him, a meathead, IIRC. We don’t use that over here, but it’s a good one.

This was all well before I had a cell phone, otherwise now I would’ve called the police immediately, got any CCTV footage at the shop and looked into getting him done for assault. And that was the last time I ever set foot in a Forbidden Planet.  No response from the MD, no sanction for the manager, as obviously I wasn’t going to be returning with coin.

Two decades - I should buy a cake and some candles.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/25/2023 at 12:35 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

My ultimate trigger.  Wow.  I’m getting irate just thinking about it.  My mom is the only one that would walk away from that.

What saves individuals like this guy is that I’m extremely non-tactile. A common feature in Aspergers and many other forms of autism.

Other boardies advocated your hands-on approach as well, but I’m not that capable of it.

There’s 5 or 6 whose channels I subscribe to.  It’s pretty easy to tell who actually cares about comics versus who is just trying to get views.  It is funny to see ones  who constantly are disappointed in their grades from CGC and then advertise their whatnot or instagram sales for raw comics.  

On 2/23/2023 at 3:51 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

This guy fails most of the time. lol So I do enjoy his channel.

Sadly, that video speaks more to CGC's f**k ups and fails than it does for the host of the channel.

He literally starts off by showing three books he previously had to send back to CGC for "mechanical errors".

Then, he details how CGC was supposed to add custom notes to the labels on his books, and CGC didn't do it on any of them..

And finally.....he sent in 25 new comics for pre-screen......CGC only passed and graded 13 of them......and they still charged him over $500 for the submission. 

And, to top it all off, he points out that several have horrible scuffing on them, and will probably have to send at least 3 out of those 13 back to CGC.

Good grief. :facepalm:

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/24/2023 at 4:30 PM, F For Fake said:

Or, and I can't stress this enough: people could just stop making these videos, and Youtube could just go away forever, and everything would be great?

I agree with all this EXCEPT the funny animal videos. Those may possibly be the last hope for mankind. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/25/2023 at 5:58 AM, KCOComics said:

But then I wouldn't know how to fix anything!!! 

Ok, this is true. YouTube is very handy for instructional videos, which I use all of the time. So how about we keep those, but ban any videos where people have…opinions…about things? 

On 2/25/2023 at 6:19 AM, jimjum12 said:

I agree with all this EXCEPT the funny animal videos. Those may possibly be the last hope for mankind. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Ok, yes! Those are good too.

So, a new proposal for what is allowed on our New YouTube

1. instructional videos

2. Funny animal videos

3. bootleg concert footage 

and that’s that!