• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about conservation on a Qualified Label
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a qualified label silver age book that has the front cover and first 5 wraps detached at the bottom staple but is otherwise fine.  If I purchase it, I would interested in having the separation professionally repaired to prevent further degradation.  If I were eventually to resubmit the book, would it likely be a conserved grade, restored grade, or universal?

I'm also interested to know general guidelines on valuing qualified grades against the same apparent Universal grade.  

Thank you!

What is the book? What is the "Qualified Grade"?. Are the detached pages the only reason for the Qualified Grade?

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/479361-can-a-detached-cover-ever-get-reattached-without-a-plod/

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/restoration/

https://www.cgccomics.com/about/help-center-faqs/ccs-pressing/about-restoration-and-conservation/

Conserved Label (Blue/Grey)

This label is applied to any comic book with specific repairs done to improve the structural integrity and long-term preservation. These repairs include tear seals support, staple replacement, piece reattachment and certain kinds of cleaning. View the CGC Conservation Grading scale

Restored Label (Purple)

This label is applied to any comic book that has evidence of repair so that it will appear as it did when it was in its original condition. Restoration can come in a variety of degrees, from slight professional restoration (A-1) to extensive amateur restoration (C-5). View the CGC Restoration Grading Scale

Hi,  thanks for your quick response!  It's a main silver age Fantastic Four key.  The only notes on the qualified label reference the cover and first 5 wraps being separated and the only notes on the slab itself are that and minimal creasing on a corner. The Qualified grade is 8.5, hence my interest, because I'd much prefer an 8.5 that needs a little love than a 4.5 Universal for the same price.  I just want to know that I won't end up devaluing the book by trying to conserve it.

I really appreciate the help.

Once slabbed, that in itself helps conserve the book. I think I know what you mean though as I prefer all pages attached, although I have no really high value books so I work on them as I feel necessary, and mine are raw. In this case I would leave the book as is (green label) rather than risking the less desirable conserved or worse, restored label. The less 'meddling' the closer it is to original which is always preferred by high end collectors, I feel.

This will be a fairly easy conservation job (and yes it would be conserved, not restored...and a non-zero chance at Universal because CGC has missed tear seals before) and will help the book overall, I have a few qualified books that are detached at one staple and I've noticed over time this puts stress on the other staple when moved around and can result in shifting of the interior away from the cover (so it is now visible in the slab) - assuming a book is now persevered when in a slab would be incorrect, especially if you are knowingly putting it in there with structural defects.

On 2/18/2023 at 12:34 PM, Sauce Dog said:

This will be a fairly easy conservation job (and yes it would be conserved, not restored...and a non-zero chance at Universal because CGC has missed tear seals before) and will help the book overall, I have a few qualified books that are detached at one staple and I've noticed over time this puts stress on the other staple when moved around and can result in shifting of the interior away from the cover (so it is now visible in the slab) - assuming a book is now persevered when in a slab would be incorrect, especially if you are knowingly putting it in there with structural defects.

Haha well it’s a moot point now since I let it get away but thanks for this info!  That’s my thing with qualified - it varies so greatly.  Missing pages and a loose staple are not equal.

Edited by Corvonie