• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has the worst comics seller's website?
3 3

75 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2023 at 2:52 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Some developers know what they're doing though, am I right?

I've been in IT 25 years and I can definitively say the answer to that is NO.  But they all think they do.

Original response contained Hyperbole and from what I see now on this thread is there are folks from multiple countries who take things way way too personally.

- been in IT 30 total years, last 25 with same firm. The first 5 never dealt with a developer.
- from a pure tech knowledge perspective most Developers (say 75%) at my firm have a good handle on things.
- very few Developers at my firm have an understanding of an intuitive user experience.
- in my firm slightly more than 90% of commits are bug fixes or regression fixes NOT code for new functionality or desired changes. Industry standard I believe is lower percentage.
- almost every developer I deal with is more interested in pointing fingers than taking responsibility.
- quite a number of our developers fill in their day not by developing but by "playing politics", making as many other folks look bad to make themselves look good.

So yes of course some developers do know what they are doing, but I have found those to be outliers and usually the ones who leave my firm after 18-24 months.

Perhaps my firms culture is part of the problem but the bottom line is my experience is my experience.   BTW tech budget alone per quarter in my firm is multi-billion we are not some small outfit.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/25/2023 at 6:09 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So if I understand correctly you're saying that there are zero software developers who know what they're doing?

You are looking at from a tech acumen angle , not an overall perspective.

On 2/25/2023 at 4:01 PM, mycomicshop said:

Re why our search results include issues that aren't in stock:

- you can add out of stock issues to your want list

- you can click the "ebay" tab to see copies of that issue available on ebay even if we don't have any

- lots of people use our site for reference

- at the top of every set of search results is a set of tabs that filter the search results for you:

image.thumb.jpeg.198957e516d7aabf52ba18304c3e71c2.jpeg

The default is always "all issues" but one click on "in stock" will show you only what's in stock.

We're far from perfect, and we have plenty of stuff that's very long overdue for an update, mobile support being the biggest. But, our site does far more things than most other comic sites.

For me the issue with your search is not in/out of stock...but that everything has to be input exactly.  The search isn't dynamic, nor is it smart.

Example...I purposely typed "8 Billion Genies" and it couldn't find it.  525 pages of results, starting with number tiles.  The "Billion Genies" portion should be enough of a hint to find the books.

Also...issue numbers could be made visible:

Screenshot_20230225_190318_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c351dba714bc99a24b0a9d5439123a9d.jpg

On 2/25/2023 at 6:41 PM, MAR1979 said:

You are looking at from a tech acumen angle , not an overall perspective.

With respect, you have absolutely no idea who you're talking to.  :)

Let's just drop this topic, I don't really feel like getting into an argument.  But I'm sorry that in over 25 years in IT, you never had the chance to work with one of the many software developers who do in fact possess "an overall perspective."

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 2/21/2023 at 2:25 PM, AustinReece_GRRC said:

Just wanted to say thank you to you and others who have shouted us out. 

And yes- this newest design was released early last month and we have received a lot of positive feedback while we continue to improve the experience.

In my opinion, reececomics.com is the best comic dealer site right now! Good work on the new release.

Edited by ComicsAndCode

For what it's worth, my best experiences constantly are with Unknown Comics, Sad Lemon Comics, Big Time Collectibles, and Golden Apple Comics. Midtown also delivers decent comics, though I hate that they often place the comics ordered in their bags/boards opposite of what collectors want to receive them in (flap is at the bottom of the FC). So I have to remove the bag and board and reposition the comics delivered prior to taping and inserting into my inventory.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:17 PM, MAR1979 said:

I've been in IT 25 years and I can definitively say the answer to that is NO.  But they all think they do.

Before I decided to become a full-time collectibles dealer, I was a software engineer for nearly 20 years working with some of the smartest, creative people I've ever met, together doing some amazing things. So I'm really taken back by your comment and a tiny bit offended.

I would be interested to know where you worked and in what department(s). Then again, I wouldn't want to clutter up this thread.

Clearly, some of the dealers/auction houses already mentioned have hired highly competent developers who have helped to give their employer a competitive advantage.

On 2/26/2023 at 12:51 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:

For what it's worth, my best experiences constantly are with Unknown Comics, Sad Lemon Comics, Big Time Collectibles, and Golden Apple Comics. Midtown also delivers decent comics, though I hate that they often place the comics ordered in their bags/boards opposite of what collectors want to receive them in (flap is at the bottom of the FC). So I have to remove the bag and board and reposition the comics delivered prior to taping and inserting into my inventory.

The horror. One would think you would have to remove the bag to read it anyway but no one should have to experiance this.

On 2/25/2023 at 3:41 AM, Courageous Cat said:

my biggest complaint about Bob is that there's no 90% off discount on the   SPIN-A-DEAL wheel :frustrated:

That Spin-A-Deal is kind of fun when you find a batch of books you want that qualify. Done it several times.