• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any books out there on how to write comics?

14 posts in this topic

I have seen many books out there on how to Draw comics or different Manga and Anime, but I have never seen (maybey Im not looking right) a book on how to Write comics.

Since I cant draw for [!@#%^&^] I was wonderign if ther is a book out there on how to write comics.

Joanna's involved in a conversation up in the Water Cooler about this. It seems that she actually wrote a Wonder Woman origin that was published in a comic.....and then......I think it was also used in some sort of book on how to write comics. Might be worth chatting to her about this. It all sounds pretty cool.

Brian Michael Bendis has a great -script book from one of his powers series that shows you the proper formats and structure very well, I highly recomend it. I wouldn't actually recomend any comic book writing books other than for the how to get your stuff to editors sections, just read and read and read and then write, write and then do a little more writing, you'll figure it out all by yourself.

'best

bronzejunkie

Ares,

If you do a search on amazon with the key words "comic book writing" you'll see a bunch of titles about the subject. I recommend "The Dc Comics Guide to Writing Comics" by Dennis O'Neill because I own that one. But I'm sure the others are good, too. Just look for a book that suits your needs.

-- Joanna

I don't know of any books about comic writing, but when I was a kid, back in the 60's, I wrote a IRON MAN story. Sent it in to MARVEL and it was put to print. I got a NO-PRIZE from STAN THE MAN for it. (Yes, NO-PRIZES do exist.) That was my contribution to the comic world, my fifteen minutes of fame.

My local comic shop has more than one book on this. One is called "Second Panel" or "Panel Two" or seomthing, and it's a guide to scripting comics.

I think Alan Moore had/has something out, as well.

They're on the shelf where I shop.

Ares,

I forgot to mention that you should also get a good screenwriting book or two. Screenwriting and comics share some common ground as they are both about visual storytelling.

There are also classes you can take. Look online and you might be able to find a distance education course in comic book writing. I know there are a lot about screenwriting. The advantage of taking a class is access to a professional and the chance to get your work critiqued. The latter is extremely important, as you need to hear what you are doing right and wrong in order to improve. Put your ego aside, take in what's said, and work to improve the weak areas.

Another good idea is to start filling a notebook or document with story ideas, and do this now, rather than later. This not only gives you an excellent base when you are ready to submit, but it also teaches your mind to think in terms of story possibilities.

And last but most important: write. Write every single day. Being a professional writer could be compared to be a pro athlete: if you don't work out and if you don't practice constantly, you'll never be in shape for the pros.

If you don't have a passion for writing, and aren't driven by an overwhelming need to do it, then reconsider the career path. Writing isn't a hobby, and it's not easy. There are a lot of sacrifices (it's usually feast or famine), and it's really tough to get jobs. But if you do have that desire and work very hard, then it's an amazing and wonderful way to make a living.

-- Joanna

And last but most important: write. Write every single day. Being a professional writer could be compared to be a pro athlete: if you don't work out and if you don't practice constantly, you'll never be in shape for the pros.

You mean like, post on an internet message board dozens of times a day? BOOYA! Watch your back, Len Deighton!

And Joanna, what about those of us who prefer our books with pictures? Are there any books about writing comics that ARE comics? :::in the middle of this post, the author then remembers both "Understanding Comics" and "Reinventing Comics" and realizes that any ironic comedy in the stereotypical lazy, lazy comic book geek studying comics via comics has already been realized:::

:::and he is saddened:::

Yes, Khaos. It's all about message boards. But be sure all your posts are fiction with good characterization, lots of action, and a solid story structure.

Lesee, reviewing the collective efforts of this message board over the last 6 months:

fiction?...Check! smile.gif

characterization?...Check! laugh.gif

lots of action?...Check! grin.gif

solid story structure?... confused.gif hmm, let me print out Bug's 6110 posts in chronological order, and do a bit of structural analysis...can ya wait here? This may take a few... wink.gif

I don't know of any books on How to Write Comics, but as Joanna said, it's very similar to writing screenplays....

Someone mentioned that Bendis had a Powers book w/ the -script in it. That would be a good place to start. Also, one of the Sandman TPB's (I think Doll's House) has the -script for an issue (if you want to learn, why not learn from one of the best, Neil Gaiman!). I noticed that the 30 Days of Night TPB has the -script in the back, as well.....

Also, read as much Alan Moore stuff as possible. The absolute master of comic book writing. No one can lay out so many different sub-plots and bring them all together as well as Moore.

Chris