• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest 1-Shot Of All-Time
4 4

108 posts in this topic

Defined as: A one-shot comic book is a standalone comic book that tells a complete story in a single issue. Unlike an ongoing series, which typically releases issues on a regular schedule and tells an ongoing story over multiple issues, a one-shot comic book is designed to be read and enjoyed on its own.

1001 Nights of Snowfall

The Killing Joke

Superman: Red Son (not a one-shot)

Interested to see some of the books as this is one as it's one area I'm a bit weak on in knowledge as I tended just to pick the one-shots of series or characters I collected.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 2/22/2023 at 7:31 PM, Krydel4 said:

Defined as: A one-shot comic book is a standalone comic book that tells a complete story in a single issue. Unlike an ongoing series, which typically releases issues on a regular schedule and tells an ongoing story over multiple issues, a one-shot comic book is designed to be read and enjoyed on its own.

1001 Nights of Snowfall

The Killing Joke

Superman: Red Son

Interested to see some of the books as this is one as it's one area I'm a bit weak on in knowledge as I tended just to pick the one-shots of series or characters I collected.

Red Son was a three part mini-series.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:02 PM, AJD said:

Pretty much any of the classic Carl Barks Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge stories fit that criterion - they are all single issue self-contained stories. Here are some strong contenders for the best, but there are many others.

large.FC_0367.jpg.dd9a281d623ba71316afc8740d33b325.jpg

large.FC_0223.jpg.fc567b9ea2cfd1b506f488fa1f3312d3.jpg

large.FC_456.jpg.97ccb053e377e5f418211b457a362155.jpg

I can see you're someone who likes to bend the rules but I'll allow it for such cool books.😁

On 2/22/2023 at 7:02 PM, AJD said:

Pretty much any of the classic Carl Barks Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge stories fit that criterion - they are all single issue self-contained stories. Here are some strong contenders for the best, but there are many others.

You missed an important part of the definition: standalone. One-shots don't have numbers like 223 or 456. If they have a number, it's almost always 1.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:21 PM, Lazyboy said:

Next up: greatest TPB of all time!

:shiftyeyes:

:kidaround:

I've gotten some great recommendations out of the threads and people are talking about the books themselves rather than the grade or how much it costs. So win.👍

On 2/22/2023 at 7:26 PM, Qalyar said:

I love Gotham by Gaslight, but I feel this sort of had to be God Loves, Man Kills.

That, along with The Death of Captain Marvel that Ken Aldred mentioned earlier, is part of the MGN series, not actually a one-shot.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:34 AM, Lazyboy said:

That, along with The Death of Captain Marvel that Ken Aldred mentioned earlier, is part of the MGN series, not actually a one-shot.

I've always seen prestige format comic one-shots as small graphic novels.

To me, the line's a little blurred.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

You missed an important part of the definition: standalone. One-shots don't have numbers like 223 or 456. If they have a number, it's almost always 1.

The entire Four Color series, over 1,300 issues, were one-shots, despite having numbers.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:19 PM, Lazyboy said:

On 2/22/2023 at 5:21 PM, Lazyboy said:

Next up: greatest TPB of all time!

:shiftyeyes:

:kidaround:

On 2/22/2023 at 5:34 PM, Lazyboy said:

Any books you would like to recommend?

On 2/22/2023 at 5:42 PM, AJD said:

The entire Four Color series, over 1,300 issues, were one-shots, despite having numbers.

Did not know this. I thought there was one over-arching story. Cool.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:40 PM, Ken Aldred said:

To me, the line's a little blurred.

Isn't that what comic fandom is?😁