• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest 1-Shot Of All-Time
4 4

108 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2023 at 8:10 AM, Bookery said:

The books were presented in a number sequence, but that doesn't mean "The Grapes of Wrath" and "The Killer Inside Me" are part of a "series".  They are indeed "one-shots".   

There's two books you don't often see in the same sentence. (:

Steinbeck and Thompson, a great pair of writers!

On 2/23/2023 at 8:10 AM, Bookery said:

The Four Color series is more complicated than that.  Perhaps the Ducks books and TV series' issues are indeed a blurred line, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to say that Four Color 1085 ("The Time Machine") and 1100 ("Annette's Life Story") are part of the same series just because the publisher assigned a number to them.  Kids buying these books paid no attention to the numbers... they were simply a device used by the publisher to track their books.  This is the same thing paperback publishers of the era did... Gold Medal, Pocket Books, Pyramid... any of them.  The books were presented in a number sequence, but that doesn't mean "The Grapes of Wrath" and "The Killer Inside Me" are part of a "series".  They are indeed "one-shots".   

I agree completely.    The duck books, yeah, that's a tough call.   But just the assigning of numbers for, I imagine, no reason other than internal record keeping, doesn't make for a series.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:52 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Also, honorable mention: Blankets by Craig Thompson.

Great indie book.

Maybe not the greatest for others, but it's my personal favorite and greatest one shot in my eyes. Fun story, great dialogue, a play on the classic medieval peasant-loves-the-princess premise with a really awesome Wolverine ending.

20211219_132831_600x600.webp.b4d47b5a1ef3706c336e9d7c7f72e9a8.webp

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 2/24/2023 at 6:38 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Maybe not the greatest for others, but it's my personal favorite and greatest one shot in my eyes. Fun story, great dialogue, a play on the classic medieval peasant-loves-the-princess premise with a really awesome Wolverine ending.

20211219_132831_600x600.webp.b4d47b5a1ef3706c336e9d7c7f72e9a8.webp

Peter David Wolvy story?hm

1) Batman Son of the Demon 2) The Killing Joke 3) Gotham by Gaslight 4) Batman Full Circle 5) Batman in Noir Alley 

Honorable mentions The Twilight Zone Now Comics Adams and Ellison. Donatello TMNT one shot

Even with reading all of these multiple times and owning way too many copies I agree with God Loves Man Kills. Claremont is a freaking genius. (worship)