• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell Me a Tale - For Those Who Love Comics
7 7

154 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2023 at 3:38 AM, themagicrobot said:

It made perfect sense to us at the time.

Said of so many ill-advised actions of the past. lol

On 3/4/2023 at 3:38 AM, themagicrobot said:

Until 1971 and we adopted decimal currency there were 20 shillings to one £ and 12 pence to a shilling

You left off my personal favorite, the guinea.

On 2/28/2023 at 9:33 PM, Robot Man said:

Every summer my parents would put me on the Greyhound bus to visit my grandparents. My grandpa would take me to lunch in his ‘62 Lincoln. After lunch, we would go to the cigar store and allow me to pick as many comics off the rack as I wanted. One of those trips, I saw something I had never seen. MAD Magazine #72. I got it and it blew me away. Started me on a life time of actually collecting all of them.

My grandmother, an antique collector took me to shows and flea markets. Many times there were stacks of old cheap comics. I always came home with a nice pile. Her influence was very important to me and made me the collector I am today.

We also read in a tent in the summer with a flashlight but they were usually nudie magazines. :devil:

Sir,

I was so happy and honored to see you post in this thread.  You are a living legend of collecting.  Just look at that awesome "sig line".  I have seen you on here for years and have seen you offer for sale comics that I didn't even know existed as well as many other collectible items that only a true collector would own.  I bet you have so many stories of great finds (things found in some old box at a flea marekt), that you could probably fill a book.  Thank you for sharing the tale of how it all started.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:39 PM, ttfitz said:

You left off my personal favorite, the guinea

That’s an easy one, though.  I narrowly escaped having to understand the more complex old currency as I was in the first year at primary school when we converted over to decimal. 

My understanding was that it was a little bit extra, a shilling, in order to create a separate unit for the poshers to distinguish themselves from working class proles like me. Always seemed that way on TV and in films, anyway.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, Ken Aldred said:

That’s an easy one, though.  I narrowly escaped having to understand the more complex old currency as I was in the first year at primary school when we converted over to decimal. 

My understanding was that it was a little bit extra, a shilling, in order to create a separate unit for the poshers to distinguish themselves from working class proles like me. Always seemed that way on TV and in films, anyway.

Yeah, I think that's how it ended up being, but my understanding of the Secret Origin of the Guinea was it started out as a gold coin worth a pound aka 20 shillings. But as the price of gold went up, the value of the coin increased. After some number of years of the value bouncing around, it was locked in at 21 shillings. Shortly thereafter, I think, they stopped making the coins (at least out of gold, anyway) and the unit continued to be used, as you said, for more "posh" applications, as well as to have a unit with a built-in "vig" or commission (as in the buyer would pay in guineas and the seller get paid in pounds, with the difference going to the middleman).

I think I mostly ran into in things like Sherlock Holmes stories, which always was a bit confusing, "Why in the world would they have a kind of money that was just a little bit more than their standard money???"

it seemed that one song in particular was always playing every time i went to my LCS back then, whenever i hear this song it reminds me of my LCS

Miracles (Jefferson Starship song)

"Miracles" is a song written by Marty Balin and originally recorded by Jefferson Starship, appearing on its 1975 album Red Octopus.[2]

"Miracles" peaked at number 3 for three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, making it the highest-charting single the band ever recorded under the name Jefferson Starship or its previous incarnation Jefferson Airplane

On 3/8/2023 at 8:43 AM, 1950's war comics said:

My LCS was 4 miles away and i used to ride my bike there every week with my paper route money years 1974/75, i bought a lot of Marvel Tales and Marvels Greatest back issues because of course i could not afford the originals ... one day my bike had a flat and i didn't yet have a spare so i walked all the way to my LCS and back

I did the same. I tried to jump back on at an older age, and I tore that bike up, not sure a bike can hold me now and I'm only 222 lbs.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:43 AM, 1950's war comics said:

My LCS was 4 miles away and i used to ride my bike there every week with my paper route money years 1974/75, i bought a lot of Marvel Tales and Marvels Greatest back issues because of course i could not afford the originals ... one day my bike had a flat and i didn't yet have a spare so i walked all the way to my LCS and back

You're from GR, right? Mind if I ask which store was your LCS? There were 3 that I frequented - The Book Stop, Collector's Corner, and Argos Book's. I'm sure their were more places that sold comics, but I don't remember them.

Argos was too far away to walk, so I rode my Schwinn there. It wasn't really in the bad part of town, but you had to pass thru it to get there. After I was kung fu kicked off my bike on the way one time, I pretty much stopped going there.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:04 AM, Gaard said:

You're from GR, right? Mind if I ask which store was your LCS? There were 3 that I frequented - The Book Stop, Collector's Corner, and Argos Book's. I'm sure their were more places that sold comics, but I don't remember them.

Argos was too far away to walk, so I rode my Schwinn there. It wasn't really in the bad part of town, but you had to pass thru it to get there. After I was kung fu kicked off my bike on the way one time, I pretty much stopped going there.

i'm from Lansing, Curious book store was my LCS, three stories tall ! mags in the basement, books on the ground floor , comics up top

it's still there but hardly any comics nowadays, i don't know how he has stayed in business all these years

On 3/8/2023 at 10:36 AM, 1950's war comics said:

i'm from Lansing, Curious book store was my LCS, three stories tall ! mags in the basement, books on the ground floor , comics up top

it's still there but hardly any comics nowadays, i don't know how he has stayed in business all these years

When I got my license, I drove to Curious a few times. I remember going up to the 3rd floor to look at the comics. I stopped going after a few times - guy kept watching me like a hawk when I would go thru the back issues. Bad vibes.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:50 AM, Gaard said:

When I got my license, I drove to Curious a few times. I remember going up to the 3rd floor to look at the comics. I stopped going after a few times - guy kept watching me like a hawk when I would go thru the back issues. Bad vibes.

i remember that too !!  back in the mid 70's was before most stores put a sign up saying "only two kids allowed in the store at one time" and justifiably so as 14-16 year old boys are prone to shoplift , 

i am sure he got ripped off many times which ruined the vibe for the young honest customers

all the good comic he kept behind the glass at the counter , i remember he had a fine X-Men #1 for $20 which was way out of my budget .....