• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell Me a Tale - For Those Who Love Comics
7 7

154 posts in this topic

Le 21/08/2023 à 20h03, Hudson a déclaré :

Je pense que c'est une bonne idée. Tout ce qui promeut l’amour de la bande dessinée et la simple collection est une chose positive.  

Bien que je ne sois pas personnellement sur Instagram (ou Facebook ou Twitter ou…….), je suis sûr qu'il y a de nombreux collectionneurs qui le sont.  

Je dis : « Vas-y ».  

Le lien est ici 

https://instagram.com/pcreborn2023?igshid=MzNlNGNkZWQ4Mg==

Even if you dont have an account you can probably seeing the page

On 8/22/2023 at 5:17 PM, mysterymachine said:

The first Marvel run I ever owned was Defenders 15-19. I still have a lot of love for those two storylines and the covers are classic. (To me)

Me too. 

The Magneto / Brotherhood of Evil story was one of the first I ever bought off the racks as a kid, and was really impressed by.

Nice covers as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/22/2023 at 8:52 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I've passed on many books over the years that had no appeal to me and are now "keys," but the one that always comes to mind is Walking Dead #1.  The day it came out, I picked it up, looked through it, didn't like the art, and put it back on the shelf

A book that did absolutely nothing for me when I saw it in the store.  Forgot about that one.  I always preferred Invincible, anyway.  I’ve struggled to think of something I missed during the Bronze and Copper Ages because I was a very voracious reader and had little focus back then. I turned down many of the very transiently-hot comics back in the 90s, such as Gen13 1 and Witchblade 1, as I’d become very jaded about comics in the Image style.  Of course, those crashed somewhat, and so the only real option which comes to mind at present is Nyx 3, first appearance of X-23.

On 8/23/2023 at 3:03 AM, Ken Aldred said:

A book that did absolutely nothing for me when I saw it in the store.  Forgot about that one.  I always preferred Invincible, anyway.  I’ve struggled to think of something I missed during the Bronze and Copper Ages because I was a very voracious reader and had little focus back then. I turned down many of the very transiently-hot comics back in the 90s, such as Gen13 1 and Witchblade 1, as I’d become very jaded about comics in the Image style.  Of course, those crashed somewhat, and so the only real option which comes to mind at present is Nyx 3, first appearance of X-23.

I also passed on all those, but I did later pick up an NYX 3 at Half-Price Books for $1.  I immediately turned around and sold it for like $60 and thought I was a genius.  :tonofbricks:

On 8/23/2023 at 10:18 AM, Robot Man said:

Me too. I’m a PCH guy. When I saw WD 1 on the racks, I excitedly picked up a copy and flipped through it. The story was old hat and the art stank. I just put it back. Other than the financial gain I would have made, I have no regrets…

TWD actually became one of my favorite monthlies for a few years.  It was a solid book and worth reading... until it wasn't.  The TV show was pretty much the same.  I think Kirkman killed it at the right time.

On 8/21/2023 at 4:47 PM, themagicrobot said:

It is sad that this particular thread isn’t more popular and that people aren't posting here daily. 

Thank you, Sir.  

I totally agree, but then again, I am bias.   I love reading these tales of how people fell in love with comics.  

On 8/22/2023 at 12:17 PM, mysterymachine said:

Does anyone one else remember seeing a key book on the racks and not buying it? I would feel better knowing that I wasn't the only one. :bigsmile:

I do not recall passing on any new books on the rack that later became “keys”, although I am sure it happened countless times.  

What I do remember passing on was a copy of AF15.   It was not new on the rack, it was “old”.   It was probably 1988 or 1989 when I was walking around my LCS and saw it there on the wall.  The price was $25.   I thought about it and passed.  After all, I was more of a DC guy.   

:facepalm:

Just giving this a bump in hopes that someone might have a tale to tell today.  

A story of how you first became interested in comics, a story of how/where you purchased/traded comics in days gone by, or perhaps a tale of that one book you treasure more than any other.  

The options are virtually endless, so please reach back in time, search your fondest memories and pen us a tale for all to enjoy. 

Mine is similar, but it was music and the green weed.... and it was a Baptist School. To which I confessed without waiting to be properly proven, because I was as my mom put it "too honest about it."

That really went south and a past that is forever ago, thank God.

I too got a subscription as a kid, and one of the 1st comics I got was this one... from wolverine.

b3e397da8575be6c965677259ebdd758.jpg which wasn't traumatizing, but it felt weird or I felt guilty as it was my 1st, and had to do with the cartel. LOL after reading I ran and showed it to the parents asking if it was the white powder drug on his nose? or gun powder? and if that was where Wolvie got his healing factor from? :shy: sad but true lol I was only 11, which still sounds maybe old enough. But later the hijinks at school wasn't a good sign. :eek: eek

then wrapped up with losing the Adamantium issue, and then Logan became seen for a brawler, funny enough I never got into fights though. We had lived in a poor neighborhood to afford private school, so I finished out the year at my first public school while having my first proper girlfriends. I had always been allowed to ride a bike, and I lived near your headshops and etc. So I was aware, but got too big for my britches to think I "could handle it."

This doesn't seem that uplifting or haha, but is a story nonetheless. I got sober in 2001, except one or 2 beers in the 22 years past that, but glad to have learned a life lesson enough to get sober on my own at age 20. It means a lot to my personal testimony, that in that following 22 years it STILL took that time to get over childhood. All my friends from childhood are either buried or disconnected from me, which I count towards favor with a higher power. In the end, it was fun at the time, but healing takes place when you can realize your mistakes.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952g3qlqnlj69a7m61on77

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/11/2023 at 4:59 PM, Black_Adam said:

Or is Danny already here? 

Danny D. was here until about a year ago.  I forget the name he was posting under.  But he was uncovered, one could look through his old posts and say, "How did I miss the signs?" 

On 9/22/2023 at 6:54 PM, bc said:

I was probably a total disruptive maniac so we stopped at a local convenient store beforehand and I was allowed to pick out 2 comics as a bribe to behave for the 30 minutes.

Basically the way I got a stack of comic books. Disruptive, manic kid, and on the way back from the market my mother and grandmother would give me 50p to buy some comics from the bus station newsstand while they got half an hour or so of much needed respite by having some coffee and pie well away from me in the nearby cafe.

Edited by Ken Aldred

@bc  again you are so close to my stories that I'll add a part 2!

Part 1 was depressing enough lol

My red headed mom had married a Sicilian who is my step dad that worked as a mechanic for fifty years to the day to put me through school and etc. Happy, content, and quiet personality.

My biological dad was a new Christian and just very close to the vest. Prayed about everything I did before allowing me yay or nay to do things. Hence my comics weren't always approved. I remember superboy knockout issue and superboy king shark (which I picked up recently that reminded me of this recently in the dollar bins) was on the stands at the same time. Well I was of age at this point and evidently knockout the female on the cover made my dad think twice, so a prayer was prayed. You know I don't even mind the Lord Jesus to this day, I know to some they just want to do the best they can! Everyone has to work out their own salvation and I can't tell someone they're "doing it wrong" it's the do.or.do not, but try!

I also have reminiscing feelings of newsstands, as it wasn't manly enough to be driven to stores by parents as kids, ie to a LCS. But baseball over printed cards? Again no hate, just life as it happens. Point being dollar bins is where I could ride a bike and try to work out my own thoughts.

Having come to the boards, I've tried to be as personable as I'd want to be treated, and like mindedness makes that easy here.

:) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM