• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell Me a Tale - For Those Who Love Comics
7 7

154 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2023 at 8:04 AM, 1950's war comics said:

i remember that too !!  back in the mid 70's was before most stores put a sign up saying "only two kids allowed in the store at one time" and justifiably so as 14-16 year old boys are prone to shoplift , 

i am sure he got ripped off many times which ruined the vibe for the young honest customers

all the good comic he kept behind the glass at the counter , i remember he had a fine X-Men #1 for $20 which was way out of my budget .....

We had a used book store in our area that did the same thing. We didn’t steal though. We just took turns distracting the owner so we could snoop around the store looking for old comics.

He had a box in the front of newer comics. But often we would find some GA buried in the stacks of magazines around the store.

One time I saw something yellow poking out of a stack of old Life mags. I slipped it out and it was a Superman 9. Pulled out an old WDCS and another out of the pile. They had $3.00 penciled on the back cover. I took them to the front and mixed in a couple from the box.

He spotted them and asked where I got them? So I told him. He wasn’t going to sell it to me until I pulled the cash out of my pocket. He saw the money, took it and threw us out.

It was local folklore that he had piles of GA in the basement but we were unable or to scared to go down there. I still wonder…

On 3/8/2023 at 1:24 PM, Robot Man said:

It was back in the prehistoric age when the real guitar gods ruled the earth…

The peace that comes with those old instruments. I've long waited for one and spend on comics instead. 

On 3/8/2023 at 11:26 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The peace that comes with those old instruments. I've long waited for one and spend on comics instead. 

I own a good number of vintage guitars now. I just got a nice 1959 Gretch Country Gentleman. I got it by selling off several boxes of these “rare collectibles”. Much more fun than 2nd and 3rd rate “keys”…

On 3/8/2023 at 2:24 PM, Robot Man said:
On 3/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, ttfitz said:

Was it the summer of '69?

Yeah, but I'm guessing you and some guys from school had a band, and tried real hard?

On 3/8/2023 at 10:36 AM, Robot Man said:

In the snow?   :devil:

Uphill both ways! :preach:

North, going back to about 1970 so I think that was the only location? I'm not sure if headed north or south that day at Logan :insane:

On 3/8/2023 at 4:13 PM, ttfitz said:
On 3/8/2023 at 2:24 PM, Robot Man said:
On 3/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, ttfitz said:

Was it the summer of '69?

Expand  

Yeah, but I'm guessing you and some guys from school had a band, and tried real hard?

:popcorn:

On 3/10/2023 at 5:00 PM, alecholland said:

So, when I was young (mid 1970’s), my parents would meet other couples for…stuff. If the other couples had children, we would usually be put in one of the children’s rooms to play while they did… stuff. It was at one of these children’s homes that I had my first encounter with comic books. David and Christie’s dad had a comic book collection and the few times my parents visited, he would always go grab a box of comics for us to read. I had no idea what my parents were up to until a few years later.

I feel like you are leaving out the most exciting part of this story....

Though the part where you sell all your comics for $50.00 is fairly tragic.  

So, when I was young (mid 1970’s), my parents would meet other couples for…stuff. If the other couples had children, we would usually be put in one of the children’s rooms to play while they did… stuff. It was at one of these children’s homes that I had my first encounter with comic books. David and Christie’s dad had a comic book collection and the few times my parents visited, he would always go grab a box of comics for us to read. I had no idea what my parents were up to until a few years later.

I still remember many of the comics I read at their house – Flash 138, Metal Men 15, Superboy 84, loads of Blackhawk comics, World’s Finest and many others. They were amazing! Everything about them, the artwork, the stories, the heroes and villains, all amazing. We didn’t have a much money though, so it wasn’t until a couple years later when I got a paper route that I could start buying comics. Also, around that same time, I met a kid a couple houses up the street from me named Randy who collected comic books. He introduced me to Rock Bottom Comics in Columbia, Missouri. The first comic I bought was X-Men. I think it was issue 108 (may have been 109 or 110), but almost immediately after I bought it I went back and bought every X-Men back issue I could afford with my paper route money.

It wasn’t long before I had a full run of X-Men from 94 – whatever the current issue was. If I remember correctly, it took me about 6 months to put the run together. I had to start buying my own clothes after I got the paper route job, so I used what money I had left over for comic books. I also bought my first “old” comics around that time, a copy of Superboy 84 and a copy of Sub-Mariner 1 (silver age) which cost me $10. I loved that cover and still do. By the time I was a teenager (early 1980’s), I had full runs of X-Men, Micronauts, ROM, and New Teen Titans had just come out. I also had a nice run from 1 – 10 of my all-time favorite, Swamp Thing.

When I was about to start 10th grade, my dad got a job in Kansas and we had to move. I kept my comics, but pretty much stopped collecting. There wasn’t anyone I met who collected comics and there weren’t any comic shops in the town we moved to.

Eventually, I ended up selling my comic collection to Clint’s Comics in Kansas City. At that point in my life (1989), I was a single parent, working three part time jobs and trying to go to school (UMKC) and needed the money. I thought I could get around $200 for my collection (I was naïve and thought I could get about 50% of their value), but Clint offered me $50 and I took it.

Fast forward to the year 2000 and my wife is looking for a Malibu Barbie on this new thing called Ebay. She found a seller who had one, and it was in really good shape, but it wasn’t still in the box. She wanted me to look at it to get my opinion and as we were scrolling through the seller’s items, I saw Superboy 84. “I had that when I was a kid!” In an instant, all those warm feelings about comic books came flooding back and before I knew it we were putting a bid on it. I ending up winning it for about $10. The flood gates were opened and now 23 years later I have about 40 short boxes of comics. 

Oh gosh.  Discovering EBay.  In the beginning I simply searched “Spider-Man” and browsed everything.  Had a box of something Spidey related coming in every other day.:insane:

Do you still have that Superboy 84?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/10/2023 at 5:08 PM, Axelrod said:

Swingers. :gossip:

lol

On 3/10/2023 at 4:08 PM, Axelrod said:

Though the part where you sell all your comics for $50.00 is fairly tragic.  

I thought getting introduced to comic books was the most exciting part of the story...hm