• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Out of these 21 comics, which 10 would you send in to be graded?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this question fits exactly in this forum but here it is. I'm very new to the comic game. I inherited the collection of a family friend a few years ago and have now only gotten around to thoroughly checking the collection. The past few weeks I've been trying to learn which parts of the collection are the most valuable. Here are a group of 21 I've selected based on my research to be the most valuable. The vast majority are all modern age. About 50% of the collection is Spawn. The rest is a mix, of X-men, Wolverine, 90s Spiderman and other bits and pieces. Is it even worth it to send 10 in? I am considering getting all cleaned and pressed by CFP and then sent to CGC to grade. I know the backlog is long but I don't particularly care about the wait. 

Spawn #1: 9.2  Spawn #2: 9.6  Spawn #50: 9.6 Spawn Bible: 9.8 The Amazing Spiderman #361 Carnage Part 1: 9.0/9.2  

Venom Lethal Protector: #1: 8.5 Night wing #1: 9.4 Cable #1: 9.6 Spawn #9: 9.0 Wolverine Gambit #1 9.6+

Carnage Mind Bomb #1: 7.5/8.0 Infinity Gauntlet #1: 8.0 Wolverine Gambit #4: 9.6+ The Amazing Spiderman #378: 9.2 The Amazing Spiderman #375: 9.2

The Spectacular Spiderman #200: 9.2 Cyber Force #1: 9.6 Spiderman 1990 #13: Venom Carnage Unleashed #1: 9.2 Spiderman Maximum Clonage: 9.2

Venom Funeral Pyre #1 9.4

IMG-3591.jpg

Who did the grading for you?

None of those books are worth more than $100 raw.  I wouldn't waste my money grading any of them.  If you submit one book, the total cost of grading is going to be like $60.  Is it worth it to you to submit to CGC and have the cost of grading be more than the cost of the book itself?  At that point, the book is no longer the most valuable thing to you...the plastic slab and corresponding number is.

On 3/1/2023 at 5:11 PM, ExNihilo said:

None of those books are worth more than $100 raw.  I wouldn't waste my money grading any of them.  If you submit one book, the total cost of grading is going to be like $60.  Is it worth it to you to submit to CGC and have the cost of grading be more than the cost of the book itself?  At that point, the book is no longer the most valuable thing to you...the plastic slab and corresponding number is.

You could make the argument for ASM 361... but in general I agree with you.

On 3/1/2023 at 3:11 PM, ExNihilo said:

Honestly this is what I was thinking but wanted to get a second opinion. 

these are fairly common books, you could look up the graded values on ebay or gpa and compare them to the raw sold values on ebay.  THen do your own math factoring in the costs of submission.  Then run that against your own risk and profit criteria, which are extremely subjective;

With that being said, you could talk me into Spawn Bible if i was getting a bunch of other stuff graded too (not the books pictured).  Otherwise, if your motivation is financial (as opposed to "my uncle gave me these comics before he went to war and I want to preserve them forever"), the answer is probably none.

The most valuable book you have there is that Spawn Newsstand.  But at 9.2, it's only getting $102 - $122 on eBay auctions.

That's the only one I'd submit in case the grader's are wrong...or just for preservation.

Edited by Sigur Ros

If the Spawn #1 newsstand and ASM #361 has shots at 9.6-9.8 those would be ones to consider. But if not then I would sell raw. Those books differ slightly in value from like 8.0-9.2 to the point where if it falls one way and not the other, it could be a waste of time and money.