• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are Your Little Pleasures of Comic Collecting...
2 2

46 posts in this topic

Well, like many here, re-bagging books is cathartic. I’ve still got boxes of books in the old polyethylene bags that I’ve tried upgrading to at least polypropylene bags (and boards). These can be anything from old Harveys or Charltons to lower grade Atlas and Dells. I’m in no hurry, so I flip through a lot of books looking for interesting house ads and read a few stories. 

I'm just glad you can actually BUY bags and especially backer boards again! Those were frustrating days during the lockdowns when you couldn’t find them anywhere but the Bay at extravagant a la carte prices. It’s a disconcerting feeling being down to your last few bags or boards…. :ohnoez:

Cracking a book out of its slab and not finding tears or stains that were missed in the graders' notes...there's a few minutes of anxiety as I initially page through the book, followed by pure enjoyment if all is good... :cloud9:

I no longer crack out books over a certain price point, but still crack out most of the slabbed books I purchase...

Love that newsprint smell, rivals grandma's cooking :cloud9:. I'm rebagging my x-men collection right now and in many cases, saved the original price sticker. lol I picked up a lot of these for an absolute song. 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:33 AM, PopKulture said:

Since we have handy little devices that make it so easy now, I’ve taken to occasionally spreading out and photographing my stuff as I acquire it, usually from comic shows or flea markets, but also from the Bay and MCS. I haven’t been doing it that long, but I already enjoy looking at the pictures from just a few years ago. And as the last few pics show, it bleeds into other areas as well.

FF5EFB91-2247-4BE4-AC38-9BADDE5AFD25.jpeg

0201C750-78A9-4214-80A6-6E5FE76A8747.jpeg

CB6EF179-4695-4C04-B3A2-65932C7E41B1.jpeg

66838314-0249-4621-9DD4-8D3C6DE9CA72.jpeg

Excellent! It reminds of little pleasure of doing a comic Poker hand. Here's one of my Bronze age ones.

20230302_180721.jpg

When I finally understood that oddball comics like UK variants (pence cover price) on Marvel and D.C. books weren't later reprints (as I had been lead to believe), but printed at the exact same time as the U.S. versions, and they were cheaper than the U.S. version because people thought they were reprints.

You're telling me those piles of silver that people treat like aluminum are actually platinum, but priced like aluminum? Sign me up! :fourleafclover:

Edited by valiantman

I love finding cool things that I have never owned before. For instance, I bought a collection with a Sensational Spider-Man 1 that still had a cassette of the Ramones singing the Spider-Man theme song. Is it really valuable? Nope. Is it really cool? Abso-freaking-lutely. Little treasures like this keep me going. 

On 3/2/2023 at 9:24 AM, PopKulture said:

Well, like many here, re-bagging books is cathartic. I’ve still got boxes of books in the old polyethylene bags that I’ve tried upgrading to at least polypropylene bags (and boards). These can be anything from old Harveys or Charltons to lower grade Atlas and Dells. I’m in no hurry, so I flip through a lot of books looking for interesting house ads and read a few stories. 

I'm just glad you can actually BUY bags and especially backer boards again! Those were frustrating days during the lockdowns when you couldn’t find them anywhere but the Bay at extravagant a la carte prices. It’s a disconcerting feeling being down to your last few bags or boards…. :ohnoez:

I’m done re bagging comics. Many years ago I went mylar and full backs. Done.

I have a couple of times regraded my collection due to the on going trend of super tight grading. I don’t think I will live long enough to do it again…:roflmao:

On 3/2/2023 at 9:33 AM, PopKulture said:

Since we have handy little devices that make it so easy now, I’ve taken to occasionally spreading out and photographing my stuff as I acquire it, usually from comic shows or flea markets, but also from the Bay and MCS. I haven’t been doing it that long, but I already enjoy looking at the pictures from just a few years ago. And as the last few pics show, it bleeds into other areas as well.

FF5EFB91-2247-4BE4-AC38-9BADDE5AFD25.jpeg

0201C750-78A9-4214-80A6-6E5FE76A8747.jpeg

CB6EF179-4695-4C04-B3A2-65932C7E41B1.jpeg

66838314-0249-4621-9DD4-8D3C6DE9CA72.jpeg

Great photos Pop! I do and have always done the same thing. Fun to spread out your finds at shows and collections I have bought over the years and go back and enjoy them all over again. I have tons of photos like this. 

I love that I'm still finding out about single issues or runs by favourite artists that I didn't even know about until now! (Thanks to MCS and the internet in general.) Then tracking them down and buying them, if they are still affordable! 

(And by happy chance, this is my 1000th post!)

Edited by LowGradeBronze