• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goals of pressing an cgc 9.8 comic for a signature serie ?

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone ! 

Hope you are great :) 

I am new here and i plan to submit my cgc 9.8 comic for a signature series. But i am kind of "lost" about the pressing option for graded comics.

What is the main goal of pressing an already high graded ? Also i don't mind paying an additionnal $20 for this service.

But for those who submitted some slabbed comics for a signature event, what are your recommandations ? advices ? Did you get the same grade as before ? I am looking forward reading all your comments !

Thank you very much in advance for your help !

Have a nice day

Edited by minegd24

There’s a possibiity that the comic might get some minor damage during shipment, when they crack it out of the slab, and during the actual signing, so some folks will add the pressing as a precaution to maintain the high grade (occurs between the signing and grading). There’s always the possibility of a grade drop when slabs are regraded.

If there's a specific artist you see touching the books alot during a signing, then that might be a good time to take up the option to clean/press afterwards due to potential easily removable fingerprints not be factored into the post sign grading process but all in all as said previously it could go either way with or without. When submitting your 9.8s make sure to look really good at them through the case and only submit something you feel would 100% or close get that grade again as some just aren't quite on that level due to multiple shipping adventures and potential scs etc. Just my thoughts but it is what I tend to do and usually get good results on the cracked and graded books. There will likely be some that will drop from a 9.8 to a 9.6 if you submit alot of books, but that's the life and times of submitting 9.8s. ;-) 

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 3/5/2023 at 6:52 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I like to see low grade OO books that have been signed. Much more personal attachment for the owners.

I like strawberry ice cream

On 3/5/2023 at 3:42 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

There's always an inherent risk in re-submitting a 9.8, especially for Sig Series. I don't think that I would do it, especially given the CGC QC issues that have been going on for a while now, but it entirely depends on how important the 9.8 is to you.

What are those CGC issues ? thanks

On 3/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

If there's a specific artist you see touching the books alot during a signing, then that might be a good time to take up the option to clean/press afterwards due to potential easily removable fingerprints not be factored into the post sign grading process but all in all as said previously it could go either way with or without. When submitting your 9.8s make sure to look really good at them through the case and only submit something you feel would 100% or close get that grade again as some just aren't quite on that level due to multiple shipping adventures and potential scs etc. Just my thoughts but it is what I tend to do and usually get good results on the cracked and graded books. There will likely be some that will drop from a 9.8 to a 9.6 if you submit alot of books, but that's the life and times of submitting 9.8s. ;-) 

Really great insight that you provided concerning the fact the artist may touch the book during the sessions ! Thank you for your complete answer :)

Unfortunately, there are 9.4/9.6 books currently sitting in 9.8 slabs for a variety of reasons (loose grading periods, bad day for the graders, etc). You have to honestly grade the book as well as you can through the holder and only send it in if it’s a strong candidate to hit 9.8 again. So far, CGC has been great with slabbed books of mine maintaining 9.8s on in-house signings but it’s a risk I’m willing to take. I’ve never had them pressed afterwards.

You can post scans of the front and back here if you want the community’s thoughts.