• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It’s in the Papers! Show us your Pedigree COAs
2 2

46 posts in this topic

Was digging in the Pedigree boxes the other day and realized something. We all like to post our pretty pedigree books usually in their handy plastic cases with their pretty hold labels.

But I don’t recall a thread showing those nifty COAs that came with many of them.

So much history on them. Some are from well known documented collections and some are well, just “marketing”…

Any of you folks who have been around a while, have found nice small original owner collections. I know I have found a few nice ones. They wouldn’t qualify as “pedigree worthy”, but important and fun to me. I have several that I felt were worthy enough to name (for me at least)

So, feel free to share your COAs. Include the book if you really need to but the star should be those fun little papers.

First up is one of my favorites. Gaines File Copies.

I was a little late to the party on these. By the time I found out, most of the key books and titles were already gone. Mostly, war, humor and New Direction titles. I got a few but wanted a bit of a “special” one. This is one of my favorite of the war line.

And hey, initialed by three of the Mount Rushmore of comic fandom! 

64BA1A0F-DFD2-4077-950A-E1754A186ED0.jpeg

The Davis Crippen Collection

One of the first very hyped Heritage collections. Had some merit though. One of the most diverse and largest recognized pedigrees. I have quite a few of them including a few nice keys but mostly books I wanted even without the pedigree anyway. Like this cool Western/Horror mash up. 

9E059549-BCC3-4C29-82BA-5C2A117E384C.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

The Crowley Collection

Interesting pedigree because it was compiled by a Fawcett employee that also contained other companies books. I have several mostly with the large “Checking” stamp. Many don’t like it but if properly placed, just adds to its history. My favorite is a 9.0 copy of Down with Crime #7 with the “Sandman” GGA cover. One of my few HA auction purchases that, at the time, thought I paid through the nose for…ha ha

B6D6FF04-7190-470A-9C29-53E26D087490.jpeg

The Lost Valley collection

Sn amazing collection that was one of only a few that contained a large number of very nice pre-Superman books.

I remember it being a big deal when it was debuted at SDCC. The booth was a feeding frenzy. I opted to go quantity in my buying that day and got a nice pile of mainly early strip reprints featuring, Felix, Popeye and other comic characters I liked. Did get this nice Fight issue from that great run in the number 30’s. 

B75818B5-BB8C-4378-951C-6087FA44FFE4.jpeg

C895F628-DF65-4CD6-9253-42623A98BB93.jpeg

On 3/5/2023 at 12:54 PM, Robot Man said:

Was digging in the Pedigree boxes the other day and realized something. We all like to post our pretty pedigree books usually in their handy plastic cases with their pretty hold labels.

But I don’t recall a thread showing those nifty COAs that came with many of them.

So much history on them. Some are from well known documented collections and some are well, just “marketing”…

Any of you folks who have been around a while, have found nice small original owner collections. I know I have found a few nice ones. They wouldn’t qualify as “pedigree worthy”, but important and fun to me. I have several that I felt were worthy enough to name (for me at least)

So, feel free to share your COAs. Include the book if you really need to but the star should be those fun little papers.

First up is one of my favorites. Gaines File Copies.

I was a little late to the party on these. By the time I found out, most of the key books and titles were already gone. Mostly, war, humor and New Direction titles. I got a few but wanted a bit of a “special” one. This is one of my favorite of the war line.

And hey, initialed by three of the Mount Rushmore of comic fandom! 

64BA1A0F-DFD2-4077-950A-E1754A186ED0.jpeg

Weird coincidence: I just picked up the 9/10 GFC Of that same issue yesterday!

Lowville “In the Wall” collection

Of course not a CGC recognized collection but a fun story. Originally all sold in it’s entirety on the bay.

These books were found in the wall of an old drugstore and had slid behind the rack into the wall. Beautifully well preserved example just forgotten for decades with bright, glossy inks and bone white pages. Only defects were some bends from how they slid into the wall. Thought at one time to have them pressed but decided it would ruin the providence and since they wern’t big keys, I just decided to leave them “as found”.

Fun story! 

1E9B9748-BA4E-4067-B2AC-BD1E0942297E.jpeg

The Okajima collection

This one needs no introduction.

Very early on I was lucky enough to pick up a few camp Capt. Marvel Advs war covers from my pal @Cobbledclam.

Shortly thereafter, I bought a small group from Alan Barr at a show. They all came with this COA. 

F321DE37-7B73-47C3-86C3-32B8750FE239.jpeg

The Bethlehem collection

Due to their specific stamp on the back cover, these really didn’t need a COA. I think this was real early in the find. I have seen very few of these COAs. I have quite a few of these. This is the only one with one.

I remember hearing the story of when the purchaser of the balance of the collection went to pick them up he had to step over the chalk outline of the original owner, Stanley Pinchon still on the floor. Real sad, I guess you can’t take them with you…:sorry:

BDB5B17A-4C2D-4CAF-A71C-60C4A3BE19EA.jpeg

The Jerome Wenker collection

Not a recognized CGC pedigree but more of a “marketing pedigree” by Terry O’Neil to “pimp” it a bit. In all fairness though, a remarkable near complete DC collection amassed by a single individual.

Ironically, this is for Flash #96, a tough book that I had been looking for. While looking at it, I noticed the small inked “Paul” in the title. A very large local collection that turned up in So CA a number of years ago. My buddy and I got first access to it as the buyer sorted the comics out of the original owner’s hundreds of mixed up boxes. My buddy bought most of the DCs while I bought the “other stuff”. Since Wenker was still buying at the time he either bought it from my buddy or the guy that was selling them to us.

If the buyer if the “Paul” collection had documented it better, it might have been pedigree worthy but he just sold them off with no documentation.

So, to me, this is kind of a “double pedigree”…:roflmao:

339EEC50-BCCA-42D5-9FB8-8A176430DD36.jpeg

The River city collection

A very cool large collection of late ‘40’s/early ‘50’s discovered by Brian Peets of A-1 Comics. Brian had been blessed in finding several nice GA collections over the years.

This one is for Tales from the Crypt #26. I picked it up out of a box at a show as a “hole filler”. Brian looked at it, smiled and pulled out a River City blank COA, filled it out and handed it to me. A fun suprise as I had no idea.

I have a bunch more I bought from a cool boardie right here on the boards a while back sold on Brian’s behalf when they were found in the back room if A-1’s  store room during Covid lockdown. 

D1CD1C99-08A4-4D34-83F9-143B230A873B.jpeg

On 3/5/2023 at 1:40 PM, IngelsFan said:

Weird coincidence: I just picked up the 9/10 GFC Of that same issue yesterday!

I bought mine directly from Russ. It was the last copy he had available. I don’t submit many to CGC but did so years ago. Came back a 7.0. A real shame. It is a beautiful copy but had a small, light non color breaking printer’s corner bend. Thought about getting it pressed but just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I HATE altering pedigree books. It is what it is.