• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRON MAN 1 - 9.9
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2023 at 11:19 PM, Lightning55 said:

What, not a 10.0? Ripoff. 

Seriously, congrats to your friend. GPA doesn't even have a 9.9 recorded. The high is a 9.8 for $32,221 in December 2022. I can't even imagine where a 9.9 lands.

Right.  It's mind-boggling.  It's literally like hitting the lottery.  I have received one 9.9 in 20+ years (ASM 135) back in 2005 or so. To get one today on such a key book is mind-blowing.  Of all the 1968 # 1s, other than the Silver Surfer, this is the one to have in 9.9.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:03 AM, Gotham Kid said:

pretty sure the IM1 9.9, IMSM 1 9.9, Cap 100 9.9 etc went to auction on Comiclink some years back

Somehow not showing up in GPA, as I said.  Maybe ComicLink doesn't share its data with GPA.

The article said $69,600 in November of 2011.  Could be multiples of that now, since a 9.8 was $32k 3 months ago.

On 3/6/2023 at 6:26 AM, JollyComics said:

Like brand new Gran Torino rolled out of the factory Clint Eastwood drove straight to his home, I can imagine this book right out of the printing shop someone might pick the best one of all but two of them showing on the census.

It is amazing to think about how a book survives like that. 

You would think somewhere during the 35 years that it was inevitably not bagged / boarded or stored properly, something would have happened to it. A dinged corner or spine tic..  

On 3/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, namisgr said:

Ironman #1 was part of a warehouse find out of the pacific northwest back in the 1990s, one that included stacks of NM/M copies of most if not all of the Marvel 1968 new solo titles.

I used to work in two different warehouse in my younger years. It's always cold and hot inside during the winter and summer - there was no AC and let hot humidity and damp air come in through the doors.  How did it survive in the climate condition?

On 3/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, namisgr said:

Ironman #1 was part of a warehouse find out of the pacific northwest back in the 1990s, one that included stacks of NM/M copies of most if not all of the Marvel 1968 new solo titles.

Again, the warehouses always get leaking because of the flat roofs.  The water goes through and touches ANYTHING included the comic books.   I received many books from the warehouse finds that ended up with browning, tanning, water spots and sometimes, the covers are brittle because of the heat dry & hot damp --- only few books survived the ordeals.  Pacific Northwest may have saltwater air and damp air that is where all forests are always evergreen during the rainy season.

The proof of the dryness of this find is in the grades and the census data for the relevant issues.

I don't know the source of the new Ironman sporting a 9.9 grade.  But it wouldn't be surprising if it were originally from this or another warehouse find.

Edited by namisgr

On 3/6/2023 at 9:47 AM, namisgr said:

Warehouses are neither all the same nor all located in the same location.

Here are a couple of things I bought from the aforementioned warehouse find and later had slabbed without any pressing:

DrS169cgc.thumb.jpg.5a94914d21f836c41e61e93637a7f014.jpg   SSM2cgc.thumb.jpg.7d9ea60032db93c5f78bd30eb6a18838.jpg

On 3/6/2023 at 9:49 AM, namisgr said:

The proof of the dryness of this find is in the grades and the census data for the relevant issues.

Amazing. I don't think there will be other finds anymore. When did you purchase them?

On 3/6/2023 at 10:51 AM, JollyComics said:

Amazing. I don't think there will be other finds anymore. When did you purchase them?

Around 1996 or '97.  I also bought stunning copies of Ironman #2, Ironman and Submariner #1, Subby #1, and Spectacular Spiderman mag #1.  Can't believe I passed on Silver Surfer.  

Edited by namisgr