• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRON MAN 1 - 9.9
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, namisgr said:

Ironman #1 was part of a warehouse find out of the pacific northwest back in the 1990s, one that included stacks of NM/M copies of most if not all of the Marvel 1968 new solo titles.

There was also a find in 1992 of Iron Man #1 and Iron Man/Sub-Mariner #1. Guy was selling them at the Dallas Fantasy Fair in blind paper bags. He guaranteed any you bought were at least vf/nm and, after buying and looking at the book, you could exchange for a different blind bag one time. $300 a piece and there was almost a riot of people trying to buy them. I think he limited it to (3) copies maximum of each. I bought (3) Iron Man #1s. Sold them all way before CGC. :cry: I know where one of the copies is and I've tried to buy it back numerous times but the owner will not even discuss it.

The guy selling at the Fantasy Fair told the story that his dad worked for the distribution company and just ended up with thousands of unsold or returned comics and magazines. MOst were $5 or $10 books but then he had a few hundred of these. Guy selling made an absolute killing in cash that day.

Edited by Badger

On 3/6/2023 at 1:16 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 3/6/2023 at 1:15 AM, Lightning55 said:

Maybe ComicLink doesn't share its data with GPA

they do not

Yes, I think it's a pretty well known fact that GPA stats doesn't include any of the auction sales reauls from CL because they wanted to have the prerogative or control to cherry pick which data which they would send to GPA.  (tsk)  :(

Edited by lou_fine

Curious what the grading fee was on this comic. You have to pick a Declared Value that is plausible, so maybe you project 9.6, to be conservative. That's $10k+, going by GPA for the last 12 months. In that value bracket, the grading fee is 3% of $10k, or $300.

Then the grade comes back at 9.9, sending the value into the 6 figure plus range. Does CGC charge you another 3% for the $90k+ difference? That's $2700 more!

Edited by Lightning55

I don't see this book as a 9.9 your friend got incredibly lucky but someone graded this wrong. The Hi-Res images on Comic Connect show better the whitening on the top right and bottom left corner and the very minor color rub on the top middle and the spine. and the very minor spine tick just above the bottom staple. Cool for your friend but I have seen one of the other 9.9's and it looks much better. 

On 3/6/2023 at 4:51 PM, Lightning55 said:

Curious what the grading fee was on this comic. You have to pick a Declared Value that is plausible, so maybe you project 9.6, to be conservative. That's $10k+, going by GPA for the last 12 months. In that value bracket, the grading fee is 3% of $10k, or $300.

Then the grade comes back at 9.9, sending the value into the 6 figure plus range. Does CGC charge you another 3% for the $90k+ difference? That's $2700 more!

That’s correct, CGC would charge you an approximate amount in addition once it came back a 9.9. It’s definitely tough in this instance though, since at the time figuring out a FMV wouldn’t be easy. But safe to assume your approximate estimate would have been in the ballpark. Except for the price change as it’s not 3% anymore and was changed to 4%. So you would be looking at an additional approximate $3700.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:14 AM, Gotham Kid said:

et voila. 106k

Solid price, I guess about 3X roughly a 9.8. It’s soo interesting how some books in 9.9 sell for upwards of 10X, and others much less. Had it been the only 9.9, maybe it would have went for more.

On 3/6/2023 at 7:51 AM, JollyComics said:

Amazing. I don't think there will be other finds anymore. When did you purchase them?

Wasn’t there another find of True Life Secrets 23 in the last month or so?  

Warehouse  finds are also not necessarily from any sort of warehouse. 

That is great. Unfortunately, it reminds of the only 9.9 I ever had, an X-Men 137. One of the very, very few comics I regret selling.

But let me not cast a cloud on here. Congrats on the Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9. It is a beauty. So fine.